Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what would you take???

what would you take???

Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:29 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default what would you take???

i have been on ebay this week buying all new bricklaying tools instead of spending days cleaning my old stuff,mixer,stihl saw.etc..

but not just tools for work,what about tools for home,,would you take a chain saws,,etc ......i have tried to get into is it the bunnings site (your b&q) but they dont list prices..

what would you take to fill the container,or is it just as cheap there?

also what about teles ,,i know some dont work there but you have to buy dual band dont you? a philips 42" plasma with high def,are only just over £600 here now,is it worth buying one of them and bringing it,.,.

pots and pan sets,,,top of the range£120-150 here...

what would you bring that you didn't ,if you had your time over,,????

thanks..

ast
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:35 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what would you take???

Originally Posted by aston man
i have been on ebay this week buying all new bricklaying tools instead of spending days cleaning my old stuff,mixer,stihl saw.etc..

but not just tools for work,what about tools for home,,would you take a chain saws,,etc ......i have tried to get into is it the bunnings site (your b&q) but they dont list prices..

what would you take to fill the container,or is it just as cheap there?

also what about teles ,,i know some dont work there but you have to buy dual band dont you? a philips 42" plasma with high def,are only just over £600 here now,is it worth buying one of them and bringing it,.,.

pots and pan sets,,,top of the range£120-150 here...

what would you bring that you didn't ,if you had your time over,,????

thanks..

ast
If you have room in the container bring it ( any thing ) its the little cheap thinks that soon add up to Big$$$$$ .

As for tv's you can get a hi def ready 50 inch plasma for $3k (panasonic ) but add $900 for one with built in tuner .
If you want a cheap brand just got to K Mart should be much cheaper , will have a look 2 mo .
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
If you have room in the container bring it ( any thing ) its the little cheap thinks that soon add up to Big$$$$$ .

As for tv's you can get a hi def ready 50 inch plasma for $3k (panasonic ) but add $900 for one with built in tuner .
If you want a cheap brand just got to K Mart should be much cheaper , will have a look 2 mo .

Or just keep playing one shop off against the other and you'll eventually get to the 'real' price I got mine for $2k (mind I got bummed on the box, which cost me $450)
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
Or just keep playing one shop off against the other and you'll eventually get to the 'real' price I got mine for $2k (mind I got bummed on the box, which cost me $450)
What make and size was that ? Yes you haggle loads off if you shop around, can be fun too.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

What make and size was that ? Yes you haggle loads off if you shop around, can be fun too.

It's a Panasonic HD 42 inch
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
It's a Panasonic HD 42 inch
Yeah 42 inch would be closer to 2 K

Rick harts have just sold out of 62 inch rear projection LG set that sold for $3k now thats a big set !!

Our old 32 inch set looked huge in the small 2 bed house we had in uk , but is tiny over here LOL
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah 42 inch would be closer to 2 K

Rick harts have just sold out of 62 inch rear projection LG set that sold for $3k now thats a big set !!

Our old 32 inch set looked huge in the small 2 bed house we had in uk , but is tiny over here LOL

Yeah, know what you mean. We had a 32inch in the UK and we thought it was massive.

Panasonic's were $2895 when I came over, so we did quite well out of it. I suppose it helps having an Aunt who's lived here for 25 years and will do anything to get things as cheap as she can
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:59 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

your all so lucky in oz,a cinema room,,pure luxury,,frige full of crownies,great film or the football..a nice lazy boy chair,air con... no kids...

pure paradise.....
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

your all so lucky in oz,a cinema room,,pure luxury,,frige full of crownies,great film or the football..a nice lazy boy chair,air con... no kids...

pure paradise.....

No cinema room here I will have a sun room in my new house though

I also have kids, they won't go away. I've tried bribing them but they just come back
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:08 am

pure paradise.....
No cinema room here either but the cinema style seats for home would be a must if you have one LOL

Still it is 29 still in the back garden and 33 in the spa , now where's the wine
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:11 am
Banned

any more ideas on things to bring?

so its not worth bringing a tele...

thank you....

i noticed a really nice place in freeo market for oldie worldy furniture,has anyone been there??
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:18 am
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

Claudia Schiffer..
you need someone to pop your tubes
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we too our 42 inch tv, worked fine, no problems. We also brough it back again, no problem We even took the smaller tvs and just brought a dvd player out there.

I will be taking my saucepan set.

If I remember, some electrical goods were quite expensive when we went (don't know if they have come down in price now though). So, take computers. And large american fridge freezers were expensive. Last time we took our uk fridge and freezer and they worked fine even in Cairns

I think it is a case of what not to take, we took lots of crap with us that we did without for 6 weeks anyway.

Mandy
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:36 am
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

the wife
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:42 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

any more ideas on things to bring?

so its not worth bringing a tele...

thank you....

i noticed a really nice place in freeo market for oldie worldy furniture,has anyone been there??

Hi Ast, yep we've been down to Freo markets abit over the years. If you like the olde worlde stuff there are cheaper places to get it and you can barter anywhere you go. Some of these second hand shops have some good stuff if that's what you're after. Migrants bring all their furniture then buy homes with built ins so get peanuts for their English stuff, which the house clearance people just love. Tv's are cheaper back home but then you do have the hassle of having them converted, that's if you still have to of course with the newer models. You can always run it through your video or dvd if you can pick up a bargain in Brum.

If you use chopping and bread boards, I'd bring those too 'cos they are c**p here and small too. If you like flannelette sheets on your bed in the winter, bring those too. Last time we were home, we had 4 white king size and 4 fitted sheets shipped back. Believe me, it does get cold here at night in the winter. Anything else you want to know, just shout.

As for pots & pans, a really decent set will set you back about $180-$300 according to how many in the set and whether it's sale time, but you don't have the choice here like you do back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.