Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you really do????

What would you really do????

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you really do????

Well after months of umming and aarring, we STILL can't make a decision on where to live, oz v's UK? Both countries have good and bad points. In the UK we both have good, well paid jobs, a nice house, a good school, fab local NHS and we live in an idyllic village in Suffolk. However, we've spent time in oz and, despite its problems, there's 'something' that tells me we should be living there. What we don't want to do is to make the wrong decision and end up regretting it and out of pocket! I've compiled lists of my pro's and cons for both countries!

Likes about the UK

The NHS (its good around here so I won't knock it)
Quality shops/goods at reasonable prices
Englands heritage! (little villages, tudor houses, small cobbled streets etc)
The lushness
The seasons (autum and all those lovely colours)
Pub lunches sat around a cosy fire chatting to friends I've known since I was a child.
Education -free, and again good around here
Low crime (again in this area)
Well paid jobs

Dislikes

Congestion of traffic in towns
'grey' drizzly days that seem to go on forever
Lack of control by the government on immigration
serious crime in other areas
'rudeness of some people' (thats my husbands bug bear)
lack of facilities for families/children

Likes of Oz

Facilities for families/children that are free and well maintained
Spectacular scenery
'outdoor' culture/lifestyle
alfresco dining
'friendly easy going people' (again husbands contribution)
larger housing and being able to build what we want
the unique wildlife
thunderstorms (I know, but they can be amazing)
wide roads

Dislikes

Cost of general living
Education standard
Healthcare costs
Huge telegraph poles everywhere
No fashion sense! (shell suits are definately NOT in!)
Humidity
Lack of decent hairdressers (plus they're expensive)

Think thats about it! So if you had the choice, where would you live????
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future
Default Re: What would you really do????

the other day on here i saw some really good advice. can't remember who but they said they'd been given it as advice and it was the best ever. anyway apologies to that poster but it is worth repeating here.

spend a day imagining you could never go to oz. i would write down how i felt as i went through the day. then do the same, imagining you had to go.

haven't tried it myself because its a few months off for me but i can see i may have to do it soon! at the moment i'm telling myself we are too far in to pull out. i have other advantages in that i have no school age children, loads of family who have been out there 20 years and plenty of support to go.

good luck with your decision. we're in suffolk too and i love my 16th century cottage, the village with no facilities at all and my job. its very hard.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:00 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by glittababe
Well after months of umming and aarring, we STILL can't make a decision on where to live, oz v's UK? Both countries have good and bad points. In the UK we both have good, well paid jobs, a nice house, a good school, fab local NHS and we live in an idyllic village in Suffolk. However, we've spent time in oz and, despite its problems, there's 'something' that tells me we should be living there. What we don't want to do is to make the wrong decision and end up regretting it and out of pocket! I've compiled lists of my pro's and cons for both countries!

Likes about the UK

The NHS (its good around here so I won't knock it)
Quality shops/goods at reasonable prices
Englands heritage! (little villages, tudor houses, small cobbled streets etc)
The lushness
The seasons (autum and all those lovely colours)
Pub lunches sat around a cosy fire chatting to friends I've known since I was a child.
Education -free, and again good around here
Low crime (again in this area)
Well paid jobs

Dislikes

Congestion of traffic in towns
'grey' drizzly days that seem to go on forever
Lack of control by the government on immigration
serious crime in other areas
'rudeness of some people' (thats my husbands bug bear)
lack of facilities for families/children

Likes of Oz

Facilities for families/children that are free and well maintained
Spectacular scenery
'outdoor' culture/lifestyle
alfresco dining
'friendly easy going people' (again husbands contribution)
larger housing and being able to build what we want
the unique wildlife
thunderstorms (I know, but they can be amazing)
wide roads

Dislikes

Cost of general living
Education standard
Healthcare costs
Huge telegraph poles everywhere
No fashion sense! (shell suits are definately NOT in!)
Humidity
Lack of decent hairdressers (plus they're expensive)

Think thats about it! So if you had the choice, where would you live????

Very tricky...you've lived here so you are well aware of those things which make people decide to up sticks and go home. Why did you leave Aus ? If it was because of those classic factors, it is important to remember that its still the same here, not much has changed ! Nostalgia can be dangerous !
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahoy
the other day on here i saw some really good advice. can't remember who but they said they'd been given it as advice and it was the best ever. anyway apologies to that poster but it is worth repeating here.

spend a day imagining you could never go to oz. i would write down how i felt as i went through the day. then do the same, imagining you had to go.

haven't tried it myself because its a few months off for me but i can see i may have to do it soon! at the moment i'm telling myself we are too far in to pull out. i have other advantages in that i have no school age children, loads of family who have been out there 20 years and plenty of support to go.

good luck with your decision. we're in suffolk too and i love my 16th century cottage, the village with no facilities at all and my job. its very hard.
That is good advice, thank you. I think whats making it worst is my other half is a copper in suffolk. He loves his job and doesn't want to give it up, yet he's not guaranteed a place in Qld police? He's already said that if it were a simple case of a transfer then he'd be on the next flight! Life unfortunately, isn't as simple as that! Where in suffolk are you? We're in Stoke by Nayland/Nayland area. I know what you mean, I love my house too - but its going on the market tomorrow!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Very tricky...you've lived here so you are well aware of those things which make people decide to up sticks and go home. Why did you leave Aus ? If it was because of those classic factors, it is important to remember that its still the same here, not much has changed ! Nostalgia can be dangerous !
We left to get our PR visas and the sell the house! In fact we didn't actually want to leave, and, had we had sold the house, we would have stayed in oz `and just gone across to NZ when it was time for the visa to be granted. Coming back made us realise how much we'd taken forgranted. The cool fresh air, country walks in wellies with the kids, shopping in town etc all made us realise what we'd missed. It's a very difficult decision.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:14 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

We left to get our PR visas and the sell the house! In fact we didn't actually want to leave, and, had we had sold the house, we would have stayed in oz `and just gone across to NZ when it was time for the visa to be granted. Coming back made us realise how much we'd taken forgranted. The cool fresh air, country walks in wellies with the kids, shopping in town etc all made us realise what we'd missed. It's a very difficult decision.
Yes, not at all clear cut, I've been away for a long time and feel close to reaching that all aussied - out stage. The decision then becomes easier. I don't envy you yours. But then again, nothing in this life is forever !
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, not at all clear cut, I've been away for a long time and feel close to reaching that all aussied - out stage. The decision then becomes easier. I don't envy you yours. But then again, nothing in this life is forever !
You mean by all aussied out that your ready to return to the UK? An option for us would be for my other half to take a career break, then spend 2 yrs in oz? Problem is, he took a career break last year so we could come to oz? Not sure how the police would react to a second request, foxtrot alpha might well be the response!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

...he's not guaranteed a place in Qld police? He's already said that if it were a simple case of a transfer then he'd be on the next flight!
With a guaranteed posting to the Sunshine Coast?

Then again, he might get Charleville or Longreach. There aren't too many thatched cottages there. You can die of thirst crossing the road its so far.

Doesn't sound like a great move to me.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:29 am
Absinthe Minded

You mean by all aussied out that your ready to return to the UK? An option for us would be for my other half to take a career break, then spend 2 yrs in oz? Problem is, he took a career break last year so we could come to oz? Not sure how the police would react to a second request, foxtrot alpha might well be the response!
Yes, its been over 15 years and I've lived all over and done just about all thats do-able and I think the weather gets hotter as you get older ! Certainly feels like it. The country walks in wellies, preferably to the pub sounds great ! But then, we are all at different stages in our lives and want and need different things. I guess thats why there is such a disparity on this forum at times between those desperate to come out and those who try to paint a realistic picture for them. We all need to do what we think is best for ourselves and our families, and hopefully we learn from the experience and enjoy it along the way.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

txmogga is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Annie,
Just an observation....reading between the lines here and on your other posts...it seems your heart is really in the UK after all. Best wishes whatever you decide
txmogga
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, its been over 15 years and I've lived all over and done just about all thats do-able and I think the weather gets hotter as you get older ! Certainly feels like it. The country walks in wellies, preferably to the pub sounds great ! But then, we are all at different stages in our lives and want and need different things. I guess thats why there is such a disparity on this forum at times between those desperate to come out and those who try to paint a realistic picture for them. We all need to do what we think is best for ourselves and our families, and hopefully we learn from the experience and enjoy it along the way.
Forgot to add the walk was on the way back from having a pub lunch with the kids where we got told off for one of the kids burping!!! I am realistic about both countries, in honesty, the UK holds more for the future and opportunity for the children (all want to go to uni, and I cannot imagine how much that would cost in oz for 3 kids)! Looking at my list, the main things you need to get by to live (education, healthcare, cheap groceries etc) are not so good in oz. The weather isn't a particular factor for us as we love the lushness of Britain, so won't complain about the rain - rain isn't always 'bad' weather! I think Banksia's right too, my hubby could be posted anywhere in qld (mount isa???? no thanks) I think its time for serious discussions today, before we take the final step and put the house on the market!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by txmogga
Dear Annie,
Just an observation....reading between the lines here and on your other posts...it seems your heart is really in the UK after all. Best wishes whatever you decide
txmogga
Thank you X. Its such a hard decision and yet again I'm having another sleepless night trying to decide whats best for us. It does come down to finances too. Having that ideal outdoor lifestyle is all very well but can we afford it? I don't want to give everything up just to end up sitting in the sun worrying about money? Yet I can't get 'oz' out of my system!!!! Right off to bed for a couple of hours for me! Thanks everyone XXXX
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:51 am
Absinthe Minded

Forgot to add the walk was on the way back from having a pub lunch with the kids where we got told off for one of the kids burping!!! I am realistic about both countries, in honesty, the UK holds more for the future and opportunity for the children (all want to go to uni, and I cannot imagine how much that would cost in oz for 3 kids)! Looking at my list, the main things you need to get by to live (education, healthcare, cheap groceries etc) are not so good in oz. The weather isn't a particular factor for us as we love the lushness of Britain, so won't complain about the rain - rain isn't always 'bad' weather! I think Banksia's right too, my hubby could be posted anywhere in qld (mount isa???? no thanks) I think its time for serious discussions today, before we take the final step and put the house on the market!
I agree about the possibility of a "country"posting. I spent a year in the Isa and another in South West Qld too. Just for the experience really as very few aussies have ever visited those areas, let alone lived there. Christmas was definately an experience with the mercury nudging 50 outside and god knows what in the house !

I agree with your comments about the weather. You can spend hours on the Downs, Moors or Fells in the rain and enjoy it. Long periods of time outdoors here (Qld) aren't really feasible and even short ones can be a problem.

Ah cool rain !!!! bring it on !
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Annie
Decision time eh You are the only one that can decide and it will be very hard I am sure. The area that you live in sounds really lovely and you seem to be really happy there. You will also have to consider your husbands career as maybe they could send him to an area in Qld that you did not want to settle in.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:40 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Hello about finances, my eldest son is going to uni to study law, lots of reasearch later and it is estimated taking every aspect into account that it will cost £10,000 by the time he finishes in three years, as uni education is not totally free here by any means. relatives with children in the same position in oz are looking at around the same amount of money just slightly more, but not enough to decided us against it. As to your feelings my thoughts that I go by, is that I make the right decision for that day and that is the best i can do and don't go with the what ifs, if it feels right today then it proberbly is right, and it sound as if uk is winning at the moment, is there any reason why you cant hold off going to oz (age or such). any way good luck with your decision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.