Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do while you get a job ?

What would you do while you get a job ?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

lotr will become famous soon enough
Cool What would you do while you get a job ?

Hello,

I am in Australia now.

Before I came to Australia I sent a lot, a lot of applications to job offers but nobody replied me, so I think that was because I was outside the country.

I am in Australia now and I have applied to many job offers.

Well, the days are passing and no company nor recruiter has replied me. What I would perhaps need to do is: to WAIT more time.

While one person gets a job offer, what would that person do ?

1. One could be writing a business plan. Do you know any programme in which the government lend money for plausible business plans ? (In this recession only the governmet could possibly lend money to an immigrant).

2. One could be offering the services to a charity. Do you know some charity that would need the services of a software developer ? ... (It would be easier for me at this moment to offer my services than to offer my money to a charity). (Perhaps, some of you might say: "Oh, the charity I work for needs a software, this is its phone number").

3. One could be watching TV.

I would prefer 1. or 2. because that way I feel useful to the society.

Or, what would you do while you get a job ?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do while you get a job ?

Yes, you could offer your services to a charity. Our Database Manager started as a volunteer and I think our Developer may have too.

I volunteered in another country when I couldn't get a job; the experience has helped me get a paid job with an NGO here.

You can look here:

http://www.fido.com.au/for_volunteer...eer_jobs.shtml

and here:

http://www.volunteer.com.au/?cid=sk:main:au:nav:vol

for starters.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried going around the recruitment agencies in person?
Check that your CV is really up to standard, spelling mistakes & poor grammar are very off putting!
Volunteer work is a great idea as it will get you local experience & contacts.
Good luck
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:59 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Go on the p!ss, chill out, enjoy the sun, chat to as many ladeezzz as possible, a spot of fishing, then think about doing something not so usefull?

Keith
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Have you tried going around the recruitment agencies in person?
Check that your CV is really up to standard, spelling mistakes & poor grammar are very off putting!
Volunteer work is a great idea as it will get you local experience & contacts.
Good luck
Volunteer work - doesn't have to be wiping bums, you might get young ladies in their nighties running in to your arms.......or even ones with not much on at all..

Main diversion for me from the endless rounds of copying and pasting into, and hitting send on Seek*, and talking to agents is keeping up with the old phys.

*I get all my roles from Seek. Got one, and an interview the other day in 30mins flat. How's that for a return? Must be part of this parallel world I live in. Other mileages reported elsewhere will vary.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:23 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What would you do while you get a job ?

I've been renovating my house to help pass the time while looking for work. Did some more plastering in the kitchen last night.

Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've been renovating my house to help pass the time while looking for work. Did some more plastering in the kitchen last night.

plastering or getting plastered.either way it passes the time I suppose.