Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Our Scenario......

Wikiposts

What would you do? Our Scenario......

Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:43 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do? Our Scenario......

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
And Carling was in the Bay area - I'm not clear where this is - someone put me in the picture.

There are places in Australia where there is enough nightlife for a 40ish couple. Melbourne!!
I don't doubt that Melbourne nightlife is very good - I just don't think it's a good reason to move from the UK to Australia!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:46 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluefish
Do you guys have any ties to Australia?
No not really, but have done a lot of soul serching these last few days, weeks even. I think its going to be another go by the look of things, but rather than spending weeks/months planning it, i think we will just do it, could be in Australia six weeks today even.......

I know its the complete opposite to what rational thinking would present, but if logic says no, then we always do the complete opposite. Which will probably be the completely wrong decision, but you only get one chance on the planet to make mistakes. So we will keep making them and keep life interesting.....

I think we are going to do it as an extended holiday, spend two weeks in CBD Brisbane, then two weeks in Broadbeach on the Gold Coast, then re-evaluate the job prospects, and the availability of a furnished place, if either come up negative. Then it will be a week in Sydney, then a week in Cairns, the back home to the UK for good. But if we find that there is work for the both of us, and we find a nice place to live at a reasonable cost. Then we will give it a go in six month blocks, re-evaluating our lives at the end of each tenancy. If we can put of buying a car, and taking up a long term tenancy for at least the first four to six weeks. Then we can leave at any time, as we will remain flexible. I know this will cost us around £10k, maybe more before we decide, but we will have had a great holiday, and we can finally put Australia to bed, or of we stay, well it was for the right decisions........

We might return back to the UK, with no where to live, no jobs, and half our savings gone. But thats life, you take the risks and pay the price....

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice....
Old Apr 20th 2012, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Take a career break if you can, rather than burning all your bridges at the same time. It's always a good idea to keep all your options open for as long as possible!

Have a nice holiday!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:15 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quoll
Take a career break if you can, rather than burning all your bridges at the same time. It's always a good idea to keep all your options open for as long as possible!

Have a nice holiday!
Thanks....
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

katie66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carling black label
No not really, but have done a lot of soul serching these last few days, weeks even. I think its going to be another go by the look of things, but rather than spending weeks/months planning it, i think we will just do it, could be in Australia six weeks today even.......

I know its the complete opposite to what rational thinking would present, but if logic says no, then we always do the complete opposite. Which will probably be the completely wrong decision, but you only get one chance on the planet to make mistakes. So we will keep making them and keep life interesting.....

I think we are going to do it as an extended holiday, spend two weeks in CBD Brisbane, then two weeks in Broadbeach on the Gold Coast, then re-evaluate the job prospects, and the availability of a furnished place, if either come up negative. Then it will be a week in Sydney, then a week in Cairns, the back home to the UK for good. But if we find that there is work for the both of us, and we find a nice place to live at a reasonable cost. Then we will give it a go in six month blocks, re-evaluating our lives at the end of each tenancy. If we can put of buying a car, and taking up a long term tenancy for at least the first four to six weeks. Then we can leave at any time, as we will remain flexible. I know this will cost us around £10k, maybe more before we decide, but we will have had a great holiday, and we can finally put Australia to bed, or of we stay, well it was for the right decisions........

We might return back to the UK, with no where to live, no jobs, and half our savings gone. But thats life, you take the risks and pay the price....

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice....
We were much the same situation/no children/age as yourself life was good in UK but just wanted a change. We came out 3 years ago and just love it - brought a house outright/car etc had 2.5 years off work at home working on house/garden/travelling etc. Back in the swing of it with clubs/activities/new friends and work but love the new life - without children I think you just have to get out there and join in things that interest you, make an effort.

A visa running out is on your mind all the time, or it was ours. We brought 4 dogs over and knew we wouldn't want to put them back through the flight to the UK so leaving Australia wasn't an option - we decided to come and just thought we'd move it we didn't like an area, we up and move to another. 3 years later it's our best decision ever to come here, just love the place.

Have a good chat, research, research research and maybe give it a go.... that gut feeling is generally the right one.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably stay in the UK if life is that good.

We arrived here in 2006 and the fresh pommies coming over now appear to be more downbeat and having a harder time of it than back then.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by neil248
Probably stay in the UK if life is that good.

We arrived here in 2006 and the fresh pommies coming over now appear to be more downbeat and having a harder time of it than back then.
Well...............here we come, see yeh Australia Friday.....
Old May 31st 2012, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Bluefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Yay!!! A hard decision - a good result! Best of luck with the move!
Old May 31st 2012, 9:13 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

bloody hell!!

Hope your flight was OK!

good luck with your new life!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by carling black label
Well...............here we come, see yeh Australia Friday.....
Well, good on you - let us know how you get on.