Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do in the event of a family death?

What would you do in the event of a family death?

Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: What would you do in the event of a family death?

Originally Posted by wargod
Didn't even think of this - well done and thanks - Karma comming your way !

Cheers

Jon

Thanx for the karma Jon.

What I know we are going to do is set-up an account with HSBC (they are the only bank in our town here, where all my family are, that do international trans of money).
We are going to set it up so that my mother-in-law,who is trustworthy,can access funds(enough to cover 3-4 flights to oz)to enable either her or another family member to fly out to oz quickly.This will only be for emergencies.

We are also going to do the same when we get to oz for the same reasons but reversed,to enable us to get to the u.k. for emergencies.

We are in the process of considering asking my brother and sister in law,who my kids love,to be their legal guardians in the unlikely but still slightly possible chance of our deaths and get legal advice on assets.
I would like to think it's possible to put the assets into trusts for the kids(don't get me wrong,we are not talking stacks of money here) but also considering the nessecity to provide funds accordingly to my bro/sis in law to help bring them up on our behalf.....God Forbid!!!!

Keep your comments and questions coming,it's something that needs talked about,people need to become aware of what would happen to their kids........a will and guardianships are invaluable for peace of mind.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:03 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

if the children are old enough you could ask them thier thoughts of what they would like to happen i lost my mum as a young child and went to live my aunt and had no choice as i was not old enough but thinking about it i will ask my son in a gentle way (hes still quite young) what he would like
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:10 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

also im going to ask the family what type of funerals they would like i know a bit morbid but its something that would be difficult to arrange from aus so needs to be thought of now and i feel would stop arguments at a later date
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Smile Re: What would you do in the event of a family death?

Originally Posted by kelli28
if the children are old enough you could ask them thier thoughts of what they would like to happen i lost my mum as a young child and went to live my aunt and had no choice as i was not old enough but thinking about it i will ask my son in a gentle way (hes still quite young) what he would like
Each of mine are totally different.
My 13 year old would beable to see it as a hyperthetical question and treat it sensibly,my 6 year old wouldn't know what i was talking about and my 8 year old........the thought makes me laugh and whince all at once cos' she's the one who every now and again,kissing me goodnite sais,
'mam,are you goin to die soon cos i really don't want you to go'!!!!! then proceeds to cry....
They get these fears stuck in their heads sometimes and i handle it by being truthfull and upbeat about it by saying ' yes i will one day but I'm not planning on goin' for a very long time....'.

So in answer to your question,i could ask some but my 8 year old will think i'm goin tomorrow and freak!!!!

Doesn't kids have the amazing ability to unerve us with the truth,?

Lynn