Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what would you do different

what would you do different

Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:18 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what would you do different

Originally Posted by pink panter
you are scaring me!! We are at the beginning of the process, first week. We are looking for an adventure, but not one that is too scary. Port Hedland,is one place that has been mentioned, do you know it?
Our contact has mentioned that it's not rural england, we are trying to get our heads around it all.
Port Hedland has been in the news a bit today, as it happens -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1867195.htm
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

pink panter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Port Hedland has been in the news a bit today, as it happens -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1867195.htm
Is it to do with the weather
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:45 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Is it to do with the weather
That and the deaths.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

you are scaring me!! We are at the beginning of the process, first week. We are looking for an adventure, but not one that is too scary. Port Hedland,is one place that has been mentioned, do you know it?
Our contact has mentioned that it's not rural england, we are trying to get our heads around it all.
you should look up Lolly's posts. She too has come over, she is in SA and is struggling. I know of one chap on another perth expats website who is over in rural WA (Katanning) and is going home after a month. Very careful consideration is required me thinks.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:01 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

I would have come a few years earlier and cleared out loads more stuff before shipping, we're in a furnished rental surrounded by boxes now

I especially would have culled the kids toys before we came because they've forgotten what they've got

Lou
xx
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:02 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish I hadn't bothered my arse shipping over loads of clothes that I did without for 4 months (and the kids clothes that no longer fit ) and brought more personal bits that I ended up giving away instead.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:38 pm
Cambridgeshire family

wereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ljj
No, I don't think there is anything at all we would have done differently.

We rented out the house instead of selling it which forced us not to buy until we were certain about an area.
We sold all our belongings and just came with 6 suitcases, golf clubs and a dolls house - no in limbo either end without furniture/ crockery etc. Kids settled so much better with money (from the proceeds of selling their old Disney videos/ toys etc) to spend on new books/ toys etc that was in relation to their age and climate here rather than all the clutter that we never threw out when they out grew it. Op shops are great for books etc.

It was great starting afresh with new items more suited to our new life. Didn't find things too expensive either. The dearest things were the 'European front-loader' washing machines and Dyson vacuum. We came over with less than GBP10k (bought new car out of this also) and have been able to live a modest, relaxed life. We've been in Melbourne for 3.5 years and looking back I don't think there would be anything I would change. Remember things happen for a reason - it may not seem like it at the time but things should work out.
Make the best of what you have.

LJJ
Fantastic story, an insperation to us all that are on a budget and 3.5 years into the new life. I am a strong beleiver of 'everything happens for a reason'. well done and good luck
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:02 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wish I'd chosen Hove rather than Brisbane
I lived there for 34 years, so glad I moved to the Gold Coast.

Wish I had done it 34 years ago !!

Nick
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I would have moved to QLD rather than Perth.
Same here mate, but for me its "rather than New Zealand"
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Port Hedland = total dump, a mining and iron ore export town, the whole place is covered in red dust and you can't use ATM (cashpoints) because of the iron ore in the atmosphere. The pub I went to had a boxing ring in it.

Port Hedland is paradise compared to South Hedland, just down the road though.

I really hope you get Albany or Margaret River but think the likelyhoon would be some outback hellhole.

In any event I wish you all the best.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

wish I had been able to keep the house in the UK and rent it out rather than having to sell up.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 10:56 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kellyjs
wish I had been able to keep the house in the UK and rent it out rather than having to sell up.
Why???
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Because I would like the security of knowing that if I wanted to go back I could, I'd have a roof over my head!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:30 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Because I would like the security of knowing that if I wanted to go back I could, I'd have a roof over my head!
Im about to rent mine but starting to think i wish id sold it. Cant be botherd with the hasstle.

Stu
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
Im about to rent mine but starting to think i wish id sold it. Cant be botherd with the hasstle.

Stu

I'm glad I sold mine. It would have been a right pain trying to sell it from here!.

Not to mention all the crap you get with renting it out, been there, done that, wouldn't do it ever again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.