Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you buy before you leave the UK?

Wikiposts

What would you buy before you leave the UK?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: What would you buy before you leave the UK?

Join www.quidco.com before you leave. This is an excellent UK based cashback site which pays 5% cashback on M&S purchases plus 100's of other sites. Whenever we buy from M&S during one of their sales the cashback helps to pay towards the shipping cost of £15. We had our last parcel arrive last week and the actual shipping cost to M&S was over £32.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Join www.quidco.com before you leave. This is an excellent UK based cashback site which pays 5% cashback on M&S purchases plus 100's of other sites. Whenever we buy from M&S during one of their sales the cashback helps to pay towards the shipping cost of £15. We had our last parcel arrive last week and the actual shipping cost to M&S was over £32.
I have just started selling all my daughters clothes on ebay which they have now out grown, as i have been putting them on i have noticed a lot of new childrens clothes so now i have started buying really nice swim bikinis and costumes and anything else i know they will need. bought a brand new pair of roxy white jeans for 99p and some boden shorts 99p, summer doesnt last that long here!!!!!!
I am also stocking up with curtains xxl as i found them to be so expensive, and new outside furniture.
looks like our container is going to be full full full!!!!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by butterfly1234
I have just started selling all my daughters clothes on ebay which they have now out grown, as i have been putting them on i have noticed a lot of new childrens clothes so now i have started buying really nice swim bikinis and costumes and anything else i know they will need. bought a brand new pair of roxy white jeans for 99p and some boden shorts 99p, summer doesnt last that long here!!!!!!
I am also stocking up with curtains xxl as i found them to be so expensive, and new outside furniture.
looks like our container is going to be full full full!!!!
i forgot to say it helps buying summer things when its snowing out side, as everyone else is trying to keep warm...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

We're planning on bringing along/buying then shipping just about everything that we are going to need. It'll save us the hassle of bargain hunting when we get there and allow us to better focus our efforts on finding jobs and settling in.

But is there anything that we typically wouldn't already have in the UK that would be useful in Australia? For example, mosquito nets?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:08 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

But is there anything that we typically wouldn't already have in the UK that would be useful in Australia? For example, mosquito nets?
Large Eskies! One for food, and a larger one for beer!!!!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:21 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Large Eskies! One for food, and a larger one for beer!!!!

Wot? Only one for the beer??

Wise words I'm sure and added to the list
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

comet10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Clothes are poor quality here so stock up.
Get a haircut before you leave as it will be the last decent one you have.

If you are planning on bringing any UK electrical appliances bring some UK power boards. Then only need to change plug on power board rather than every appliance.

Some other tips:-
Complete form P85 Notice of Leaving UK and send recorded delivery to Inland Revenue.
Consider continuing to make voluntary NI payments.
Keep some UK bank accounts open, preferably with internet banking.
If you have a NHS dentist go see them before you come as dentists here will clear out your bank account.
If considering private medical insurance in Australia get in within 10 months(?) of arriving. Otherwise you will get a lifetime loading for each adult, something 2% for each year you are over age 30.
Request from car insurance provider a letter confirming you non-claims bonus.

Thanks for those handy tips, didnt even know about the P85!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:05 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Def extension leads!!!!! Loads of them!!!! Auzzie houses dont seem to have as many sockets as uk houses...
Bisto!!!! lol expensive over here $6 a tub!! when back in the uk you can get 2 for £1 Can't find a decent aussie gravy
Buy an intex bestway pool from Argos that includes the cover & filter pump £49.99 in argos, over here $180 + $45 for the cover!!!! It def does the kids on a hot day, we would be lost without it. Roll on our house getting built & we can have a big one
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:18 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Books from the UK, free delivery to Oz ...
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

Exchange rates and all that but it may be worth a look before paying the extortionate prices here ... actually, there are book bargains to be had but not generally from the major retailers.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Books from the UK, free delivery to Oz ...
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

Exchange rates and all that but it may be worth a look before paying the extortionate prices here ... actually, there are book bargains to be had but not generally from the major retailers.
I was thinking about that yesterday. Don't they have good libraries in Aus?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Our local one is great, you can hire a newish book for $4 for 10 days, great scheme as new release novels etc, would have 200+ reserves.

If your going to canberra, bring all the winter stuff, weve been down there to visit BIL arriving in minus 5 and the relatives are dressed like they live in Canada. Canberra really does throw out some numbing cold at times They (rels) dont run central heating like people in the UK either cost I guess, huge amounts of bedding at night.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:42 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The libraries are pretty good in my opinion but the range is obviously restricted compared to the UK. Haven't been for a while, got a pile of books I need to get through first ...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Our local one is great, you can hire a newish book for $4 for 10 days, great scheme as new release novels etc, would have 200+ reserves.

If your going to canberra, bring all the winter stuff, weve been down there to visit BIL arriving in minus 5 and the relatives are dressed like they live in Canada. Canberra really does throw out some numbing cold at times They (rels) dont run central heating like people in the UK either cost I guess, huge amounts of bedding at night.
Haha! I can't wait to tell the wife

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The libraries are pretty good in my opinion but the range is obviously restricted compared to the UK. Haven't been for a while, got a pile of books I need to get through first ...
That's good . My family and I use the library quite a lot. For my kids I usually buy them the first book of a series which I think is good and if they want the rest they get them from the library.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Bisto!!!! lol expensive over here $6 a tub!! when back in the uk you can get 2 for £1 Can't find a decent aussie gravy
I can't stand that Gravox crap! Have you tried Greens brand one? It's in Woolies, quite nice!!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Haha! I can't wait to tell the wife

I take it she likes the cold then

I was warned it got cold down there and was thinking oh yeah aussie cold, bit nippy, might need a jumper lol: it really is bloody freezing, , it was foggy or a minus quite a few nights of our first stay which was in winter.

I didnt mind it, I love the cold. Funny place, lots of new roads, all purpose built, lots of rules, BIL was constantly on at everyone about road rules, seemed to have some terror of being picked up. They lived in a quite expensive unit when we first visited, houses were not cheap! for very surban look alike homes. Nice restaurants. City centre weekdays looked very business like of course. They were happy with the education there, which isnt the case with most rels we visit in other states. Still think its a place people live more for a reason than any lifestyle factors. BIL and wife both need to be there for jobs but have grown to like it. Everyone they knew seemed to be in police or immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.