Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you buy before you leave the UK?

What would you buy before you leave the UK?

Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would you buy before you leave the UK?

Hi, we will be arriving in Melbourne around Easter time and I was wondering if there was anything you would stock up on in the UK before we leave? We have 2 boys ages 10 and 5 who go through things like trainers and t-shirts at an incredible rate!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you buy before you leave the UK?

With the pound at such a dire rate - then everything!

Ikea furniture is more expensive out here together with things like make-up. Stock up on fav brands which you may not get out here such as Boots etc.

There are cheap clothes but there not as well made as cheap UK clothes - even though they all come from China!

Books are expensive out here so raid Asad and Tesco's before you come (and then you can join our book swap club ).

There are lots of outlet shops here so you may pick up trainers etc for the boys at a better price.

Kitchen equipment, make sure you bring all that as that will cost a fair bit to restock.

We do find some bits are cheaper like gardening stuff in Bunnings (Hombase equivalent) but again with the dire exchange rate it may not see so cheap now!

Hope this helps but post again if you have anything more specific.

KK
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koalakim
With the pound at such a dire rate - then everything!

Ikea furniture is more expensive out here together with things like make-up. Stock up on fav brands which you may not get out here such as Boots etc.

There are cheap clothes but there not as well made as cheap UK clothes - even though they all come from China!

Books are expensive out here so raid Asad and Tesco's before you come (and then you can join our book swap club ).

There are lots of outlet shops here so you may pick up trainers etc for the boys at a better price.

Kitchen equipment, make sure you bring all that as that will cost a fair bit to restock.

We do find some bits are cheaper like gardening stuff in Bunnings (Hombase equivalent) but again with the dire exchange rate it may not see so cheap now!

Hope this helps but post again if you have anything more specific.

KK
sounds like we are in for some serious shopping trips over the next few weeks
thanks
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Yorkshire Tea! Gonna miss that when I leave.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snurse42
Hi, we will be arriving in Melbourne around Easter time and I was wondering if there was anything you would stock up on in the UK before we leave? We have 2 boys ages 10 and 5 who go through things like trainers and t-shirts at an incredible rate!
Based on my very recent trip to the UK, bring everything you need for the next 5 years

I tried however airlines have these tedious baggage rules

Seriously the only thing I found more expensive in the UK was petrol.

God I miss those shops
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snurse42
From my research, for me - it'll be the good ole M&S undies and my fave brands of make up. I keep reading that clothes shops are not so great over there - my 'cunning plan' is to tell hubbie this, resulting in a few shopping trips here to stock up! Luckily, he's not a member of BE and so only reads the posts I send on to him! RESULT
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by myrtle1
From my research, for me - it'll be the good ole M&S undies and my fave brands of make up. I keep reading that clothes shops are not so great over there - my 'cunning plan' is to tell hubbie this, resulting in a few shopping trips here to stock up! Luckily, he's not a member of BE and so only reads the posts I send on to him! RESULT
Ooooh good thinking.........I like it A LOT
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Sheet sets! Find they're much cheaper 'back home'! Duvets for those cold winter nights (seriously! )

Boys stuff - wouldn't worry too much. You can pick up cheap tees etc here. But might be worth getting a few in bigger sizes before you come. The best thing for me is my son doesn't grow out of his shorts as quickly as he used to grow out of his trousers/trackies

Handbags! Thongs (flip flops that is!) or nice sandal-ly shoes for yerself - I think they are way over-priced over-here

cheers
shears
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes shoes! Shoes are sooooo expensive here - even for an addict like me! Fortunately I'm going back to the UK each year so stock up on a stop over in Singapore where they are bootiful and cheap (get more Sing bucks to your pound than Aussie $).

Just becareful with bedding as Queens here are the same as King in the UK but shorter. So your UK duvet bunches up at the bottom of an Aussie cover. Plus it's called Manchester here which will confuse the hell out of you at first!

KK
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

If it were me coming again I'd buy:

Clothes for children from the likes of ASDA. Stock up on loads pjs, socks, pants, t-shirts, shorts, jeans, jumpers if you can for a couple of years. Kids clothes are expensive, ie I was looking at winter PJs for my son in Target and they wanted $20 for 1 pair. In ASDA I'd expect to get at least a 2-3 pack for less cash.

Clothes for myself but M&S do deliver to Oz.

Persil and comfort.

Books if you are a reader - I really miss Waterstones!

More of my favourite smellies when they were 3:2 in Boots. Also bring vitamins if you use them as they are expensive here.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hiya

The charity shops are really good where we live (Pelican Waters). Plus getting stuff from garage sales has been a life saver 4 us.

If I could bring anything out I would suggest Twiglets, Cheese Balls & Cashews.

J
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

To lower the tone...

Bring a stock of your sanitary protection, the stuff here isn't as good and you have to search and try loads of different brands until you find one which suits.

I know I have opened the gates to a barage of inuendo... sorry...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:18 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Clothes would probably be my suggestion too. You dont get the same 'buzz' over here clothes shopping as you do in the UK - especially when you first arrive as it all feels so alien for so long. Thankfully a lot of the UK shops are now delivering here... M&S included! I'm in the process of listing all of the shops that post here from the UK on the website below - the list is growing rapidly!!

http://www.uk2oz.com.au

OH and MINSTRELS... I'll pay you to bring a box of those babies!!!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Clothes, lots of clothes.

Everywhere in Australia sells the same stuff as every other store in Australia... so you always see people walking around in the same clothes (maybe just a different colour) it’s all expensive yet cheaply and poorly made and usually looks like a rainbow threw up on it. No taste in clothes over here what so ever.

I never understand those people who go to Melbourne for a weekend shopping trip and come back with stuff they can get in any other Aussie city, seriously every shopping centre in the country has the same shops with the same stuff.

So buy clothes.

Trainers/shoes here are pretty cheap and same quality/range as the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Clothes would probably be my suggestion too. You dont get the same 'buzz' over here clothes shopping as you do in the UK - especially when you first arrive as it all feels so alien for so long. Thankfully a lot of the UK shops are now delivering here... M&S included! I'm in the process of listing all of the shops that post here from the UK on the website below - the list is growing rapidly!!

http://www.uk2oz.com.au

OH and MINSTRELS... I'll pay you to bring a box of those babies!!!
You missed Boden. They deliver to Aus x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.