Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would make you stay?

Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would make you stay?

Just thought I'd throw a spanner in the works and ask the above question! I reckon if hubby got a 100% pay rise, I'd stay a bit longer, but would want to still go at some point. I'm also looking at doing a uni course, but doubt they'll have me - worth trying though, before I b*gg*r off to Aus!
Also, If the inlaws went to Aus I'd have to stay!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost nothing! if parents/hubby died, possibly! I've just been offered a job with "how can I make you stay" and no money in the world would stop me now.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:53 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

if 58 million people left the UK and it turned into something like NZ then i might have stayed....but then again...nothing would have made me stay really.Every day that goes by over here i realise how fantastic this place is.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Only a disaster! Once your mind is set on it, I just could not go now, I would never rest at ease again.
It is not about money for us, just a different sort of life.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:01 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: What would make you stay?

Originally posted by Larissa
Just thought I'd throw a spanner in the works and ask the above question! I reckon if hubby got a 100% pay rise, I'd stay a bit longer, but would want to still go at some point. I'm also looking at doing a uni course, but doubt they'll have me - worth trying though, before I b*gg*r off to Aus!
An interesting question, and one that is ongoing and very relevant to everyone here whether they realise it or not.

One thing I've learnt in my life is that you never know whats around the next corner.

Anything could happen...you could split up from your partner, one of your older kids could refuse to go point blank, a close relative could fall very ill...all potention reasons for not forfilling your dream in Aus.

For me...I own & run a contracting business. Most of the jobs I do take a while to finish. I'm just finishing 120 houses, they took almost 3 yrs. Another I finished earlier this year took 18 months.

If another comes along and its paticularly lucrative there will be a temptation to stay. I'm not even trying to get work for this reason, but things happen. The blokes I've got now are good tradesman, you can't just drop em and start again at a later date, you have to be consistent.

On the flip side I really do want to go to Aus, there's more to life than money, and my kids are getting older and may not want to go in a couple of years.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Although I have had my ups and downs, and the whole process is one big trauma, when you get to this stage the feeling is brilliant and worth every bit of the heartache involved.
I can't count how many times I have had my doubts and thought that it really isn't worth all the hassle. But now I can tell you 'it is' and nothing would make me change my mind now.

Whisky
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

the rain wouldnt make me stay
goverment wouldnt make me stay
medial care wouldnt make me stay
schooling wouldnt make me stay
crap jobs wouldnt make me stay
snow wouldnt make me stay
parents wouldnt make me stay

sunshine would make me go

the only reason i'd stay would be if i didnt get a visa, then i'd probable hide in someone else luggage
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by whisky
Although I have had my ups and downs, and the whole process is one big trauma, when you get to this stage the feeling is brilliant and worth every bit of the heartache involved.
I can't count how many times I have had my doubts and thought that it really isn't worth all the hassle. But now I can tell you 'it is' and nothing would make me change my mind now.

Whisky

Great to hear that things are working out for you Whisky
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Whisky. even with the occasional moment of panic, I don't think anything would make me change my mind now...... especially now I'm on the 19th box. I'm not unpacking this lot again till it arrives in Oz!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:26 am
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Not now

At this point nothing would make me stay. I want to experience this place for myself. Now there might be something that makes me want to come back but I have to go there first and find out how I like it.

It's not the money (I make more if I stay here)
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Paul was offered more money etc to stay , but no way , nothing would have stopped us . Unless something had to each other then that may have changed it all i supose. But you have to give it a go , your given the chance go for it.
Hey whisky will have to meet you all when you get here
Joanne xx
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would make you stay?

Originally posted by Larissa

I agree with you about the inlaws!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jopaulss
Paul was offered more money etc to stay , but no way , nothing would have stopped us . Unless something had to each other then that may have changed it all i supose. But you have to give it a go , your given the chance go for it.
Hey whisky will have to meet you all when you get here
Joanne xx

Hello Joanne,

Yes, I will keep you posted as to when we have arrived and are over the jet lag. Would love to meet up.

Whisky