Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What work do you do in OZ?

What work do you do in OZ?

Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:00 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default What work do you do in OZ?

This has probably been done before, but I am interested to know what jobs people are doing down under, particularly in WA.

I really have no idea what I want to do when I arrive, although have a multitude of skills which could see me heading in one of several different directions!

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales
PC/ Network Installation & Maintenance
Starting a gardening/ landscaping business

The list goes on...........

Obviously, I want to earn the best money possible with the least amount of work and be able to achieve the 'lifestyle' we all seek.....

So lets have it....what are you all doing now, and without getting too personal, does it allow you a degree of freedom and enable you to live the 'lifestyle'? More importantly, are you happier doing whatever it is you do, than back in the UK?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:46 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What work do you do in OZ?

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
This has probably been done before, but I am interested to know what jobs people are doing down under, particularly in WA.

I really have no idea what I want to do when I arrive, although have a multitude of skills which could see me heading in one of several different directions!

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales

Obviously, I want to earn the best money possible with the least amount of work and be able to achieve the 'lifestyle' we all seek.....

So lets have it....what are you all doing now, and without getting too personal, does it allow you a degree of freedom and enable you to live the 'lifestyle'? More importantly, are you happier doing whatever it is you do, than back in the UK?
I would love to answer your question but I'm a housewife so I guess that doesn't really count (although, I am of course irreplaceable!). I would like to answer on behalf of my husband but since we made the move to Australia three months ago the words "work" and "job" seem to have miraculously disappeared from his vocabulary!

When I get the answers myself you will be next in line to hear! . . . . (Don't hold your breath!)
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:51 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by binbird
I would love to answer your question but I'm a housewife so I guess that doesn't really count (although, I am of course irreplaceable!). I would like to answer on behalf of my husband but since we made the move to Australia three months ago the words "work" and "job" seem to have miraculously disappeared from his vocabulary!

When I get the answers myself you will be next in line to hear! . . . . (Don't hold your breath!)
I guess there are many in similar situations, I for one know that I am gonna find it very hard to motivate myself into work when there's a sandy beach and sunshine to be enjoyed!! However, as we will be arriving with only a pocketful of cash, lazing on a beach all day is simply NOT an option! unless we actually want to end up 'living' on the beach (in a cardboard box!!)
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:54 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binbird

Ditto everything written here, am starting to wonder if he fancies himself as a house husband and hoping that I get so worried about the bank balance I go and get a full time job myself
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Rob ...

When are you arriving ... I may have a business proposition.

Nothing fantastic but something that could get you earning the dollar to begin with

Three Legs

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales

Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:49 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

we are in the same boat mate, we want to completely change our lives and our sick of our hum drum jobs here, therefore when we eventually get to oz we want a new career prospetive too, but have no idea what to do!!
i quite fancy retraining in something over there, but i am not sure on the educational system and whether or not they are as good with "mature" students etc. lol!
anyway let me know if you manage to find anything aspiring!
regards
vb2

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales

Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Rob ...

When are you arriving ... I may have a business proposition.

Nothing fantastic but something that could get you earning the dollar to begin with

Three Legs
Three Legs

Have sent you a PM

Looking at arriving sometime between March/ July 06
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:27 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Company Director for private local authority service contractors in the UK and now Remidal Sports Massage Therapist. Left all my suits in the UK, burnt the ties, dont work 9-5 and definately never on a Monday morning. Vowed to never employ another person again and to spend more time with my wife. Working out nicely.

Happier ? Living the lifestyle ? - Oh yeah

If you make a change to your life you might as well make a dramatic one!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:40 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in IT under the nicely generic title 'Systems Engineer'. Similar to what I did in the UK, except I have less responsibility and get paid more
Old Dec 13th 2005, 11:13 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Partner has a job lined up as an landscape architect (Urban design) - he worked there when we lived there last - so it means I can take a little more time looking for my job - I eventually would like to open my own cafe, but in the mean time - something in sales somewhere - really don't mind.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlin will become famous soon enough

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales

Hello where in guildford are you? We are on rydes hill off the aldershot rd. I am looking to stay as a carpenter joiner but my just do my locksmithing if its to hot. Whot patr ow WA are you going to and when are you going?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

mine is very similar to my role in UK (oil supply) but it is far more relaxed here and none of this stupid 'working all hours-just to be seen nonsense' I have after hours access so that I can get through the exit security doors after 6pm!.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:13 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an unemployed bum and spend all my time on here talking shite.

If I ever get a licence I'll be a plumber.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is a lab manager for a defense company, a step back from what he was doing before but he loves it. I am waiting for the youngest to start school so that I can go back to Uni to finish my teacher training .
Nicky
Old Dec 19th 2005, 6:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dazlin
Hello where in guildford are you? We are on rydes hill off the aldershot rd. I am looking to stay as a carpenter joiner but my just do my locksmithing if its to hot. Whot patr ow WA are you going to and when are you going?
Hi there! We are living in Ockham at the moment (with C's parents - saving!)

Used to live down on woodbridge road Nr the Royal, ao know where you are!

We are looking at Rockingham/ Warnbro area at the moment, of course this is all open to major change when we eventually get there!

Looking to go around July 06.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.