Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you spend on buying a house here?

What will you spend on buying a house here?

Old May 1st 2003, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default What will you spend on buying a house here?

Mansion seems to mean very different things to different people.
Wondering what most people immigrating are budgeting on spending on a house here?
Old May 1st 2003, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

250,000 ish to start with that will be without a mortgage

that's in Perth
Old May 1st 2003, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bussie
250,000 ish to start with that will be without a mortgage

that's in Perth
dollars or pounds?
Old May 1st 2003, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What will you spend on buying a house here?

Originally posted by dotty
Wondering what most people immigrating are budgeting on spending on a house here?
Hi Dotty,

Don't plan to buy for atleast two years - want to get to know the areas in Melbourne better, see where the real estate market is headed (if it is a bubble, then wouldn't want to buy at the peak) and most importantly whether we like living in Australia for the long term.
We don't really have a budget, however would not want to invest more than 400-500k (AUD) in property.

PS: Somehow, I prefer apartments to houses - makes me feel safer (burglars, creepy crawlies etc) . I am not too keen on houses. This would probably put me
in the .00001% on this forum where people are moving for more space!!!

Cheers
Nina
Old May 1st 2003, 7:46 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

New Zealand. Something like NZD400-600K? Seems to buy you quite a lot anywhere but Auckland. (1NZD = 0.895AUD.)

Cheers - Don
Old May 1st 2003, 9:30 am

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What will you spend on buying a house here?

Originally posted by dotty
I'm hoping to bring >£150,000 cash with me. Looking for land a commutable distance from Brisbane.
Old May 1st 2003, 9:41 am
Ant
Just Joined

Ant is an unknown quantity at this point

$500k IN PORT MACQUARIE nsw AND KEEP PROPERTY STILL IN THE UK.
Old May 1st 2003, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Tough one really. Main priority is no mortage. We have a four bed here so we we would want the same really other than don`t know. Have seen plenty properties on line we like ranging from 300AD to 500AD. But it is all dreaming until we actually get there.

footie chick
Old May 1st 2003, 10:45 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Rent for 6 months until established and then initially buy a unit in Sydney (eastern sub) for around $6-800,000 and ease our way in. Planning to keep the property in Engand for a few years (you never know!).
If all goes well and the family grows sell up in the UK, rent the Sydney unit, and buy a larger house in the North, South or East of Sydney. Never, ever the West!

Here's to a dream comin true!!

Dinky
Old May 1st 2003, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Hi,

We haven't got loads of money or big house to sell, so won't have the mega wads to spend when we get out there, we will rent for a while while we decided where to settle. We where hoping for a mortgage but a big deposit. Possibly about 80k GBP mortgage max, hubby doesn't want a big debt hanging over his head.

We must the odd ones out as most people on here seem to have alot of money and big houses to sell. Sadly we are not yet in that posotion with only being married a year [:-)

Carrianne
Old May 1st 2003, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Houdini at home is an unknown quantity at this point

Carianne,
We don't have mega bucks either, far from it, but we will hopefully have enough equity to take with us for a £60k deposit on a house. That makes me feel rich until I read how much money other people have.....
Still, we're not in it to get rich so who cares?!
Mrs H
Old May 1st 2003, 12:14 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Houdini at home
Carianne,
We don't have mega bucks either, far from it, but we will hopefully have enough equity to take with us for a £60k deposit on a house. That makes me feel rich until I read how much money other people have.....
Still, we're not in it to get rich so who cares?!
Mrs H
We are taking about £50K total with us, so we will not have nearly as much as some of you going out there! (House pirces have not shot up as much in the very north of Scotland as they have everywhere else).

Still, we are well used to a mortgage and working hard. At the end of the day I am going to live in Oz, so am quite prepared that life will not be all that different to it is in the UK.

Good luck to everyone else who is going.

Mel
Old May 1st 2003, 1:02 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hoping to spend less than 300k ($) in northern subs of brissie.
Old May 1st 2003, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

tobidan is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. We are going to have alot less than that. Just as Carrianne says, we don't have a house to sell either. But we are living and working in Nigeria at the moment and are able to save about a grand a month in savings.

By the time we get there we will probably have about 25,000 to 30,000 pounds only!!

Not researched house prices too much at the moment, but would expect around AUD$250,000 3 bedroomed etc in Perth ??!!?
Old May 1st 2003, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're very lucky with equity etc, we shall spend about $400k with no mortgage and still have a bit to spare.

This should buy a nice place in Cabooltureshire.

Phil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.