Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you be most pleased to see the back of?

View Poll Results: What will you miss the least?
The weather
32.08%
Football
3.77%
The press
0%
High fuel costs
3.77%
whinging poms
13.21%
Queues, traffic jams, general density of people
47.17%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

What will you be most pleased to see the back of?

Old Jan 28th 2004, 8:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you be most pleased to see the back of?

Originally posted by anya4oz
I suppose if you had dared to put 'Tony Blair' on your list, the Moderators would have had to call in Lord Hutton to hold an enquiry into us...

Anya.
The alternative is Gordon Brown, I'd take Blair over him anytime.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:02 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
John Howard makes Blair look good. What a pathetic post and I hope you have reasons for coming here. I miss a lot of those things. Remember there is a 50% chance of you all returning to blighty.
Yes, very good reasons to come, both to the forum & to Oz! And I'm very aware of Oz politicians' shortcomings from my Oz relatves/friends

As for my comment about Blair, I've been amazed by the number of people (including almost total strangers) who say something along the lines of 'Tony Blair & his crowd driven you out, then?' when I tell them I'm emigrating! Seems to miss the point somehow, as Oz is for life but politicians are 'just for Xmas', in my book....

Actually I'm pretty cynical about all politicians, as I think it's very hard to survive in most political systems unless you become self- seeking & go with the party line rather than your own principles. Was amused to find that, when living in US (under Reagan) I missed both the UK Tories & Labor like mad! :scared:

Anya.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

g and l is an unknown quantity at this point

John Howard makes Blair look good. What a pathetic post and I hope you have reasons for coming here. I miss a lot of those things. Remember there is a 50% chance of you all returning to blighty.
That was the general idea, to think about the reasons for leaving. I'm sorry you missed that.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:34 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

The way the govt rip us off. Cost of living here is unbelievable compared to even 5 years ago.

I wouldn`t mind paying such a lot of tax (and council tax) if we actually got something decent in return. Instead they treat the middle-class like shit... you`re better off as an asylum seeker.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stormz
The way the govt rip us off. Cost of living here is unbelievable compared to even 5 years ago.

I wouldn`t mind paying such a lot of tax (and council tax) if we actually got something decent in return. Instead they treat the middle-class like shit... you`re better off as an asylum seeker.
It gets more extreme down here. What paper do you read?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:47 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Tried self sufficiency? Easier on the wallet - costs nothing at all really - just a bit of inconvenient backache.

Nimbin
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:53 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Tried self sufficiency? Easier on the wallet - costs nothing at all really - just a bit of inconvenient backache.
Not exactly sure if that`s an insult or not. I work very hard as it is, but money-wise don`t get anywhere near where I should due to cost of living (taxes). Would love own business but need money to do so.... back to the tax thing again etc.

Bondi, we`ve been down that thread before, I know it`s difficult in Oz but there`s alot less population percentage. Do I read The Daily Mail? I read whichever one is in the office at the time, but prefer the Express.... and don`t believe everything I read either.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Not exactly sure if that`s an insult or not. I work very hard as it is, but money-wise don`t get anywhere near where I should due to cost of living (taxes). Would love own business but need money to do so.... back to the tax thing again etc.

Bondi, we`ve been down that thread before, I know it`s difficult in Oz but there`s alot less population percentage. Do I read The Daily Mail? I read whichever one is in the office at the time, but prefer the Express.... and don`t believe everything I read either.
Just smartarse - but a few do make it work - and work they do.

What is your single highest expense?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:00 am
Superfreak!!

£500 on rent. But as usual it`s all the MANY smaller things that really add up.... council tax (£160), petrol, food, electricity, gas, telephone, etc etc.

We don`t drink or smoke and don`t go out to expensive places.... but have had to buy things over the last few months for the baby due in May.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:05 am
Banned

£500 on rent. But as usual it`s all the MANY smaller things that really add up.... council tax (£160), petrol, food, electricity, gas, telephone, etc etc.

We don`t drink or smoke and don`t go out to expensive places.... but have had to buy things over the last few months for the baby due in May.
£500 on rent - pa, pm, pw? Sure income tax is not the biggest expense?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:06 am
Superfreak!!

per month. Yes of course income tax is the biggest (and NI)... thought that was self-explanatory.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:17 am
Banned

per month. Yes of course income tax is the biggest (and NI)... thought that was self-explanatory.
Business is the best way of reducing taxation - stuff becomes deductable - but risky too. Bet bet - build your skills?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by g and l
That was the general idea, to think about the reasons for leaving. I'm sorry you missed that.
What I see is attempts at justifying a very risky move rather than a constructive attempt at bettering your life. It is a slag off Britain exercise rather than being constructive or considered.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:28 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong on this, I am loving being in Oz but just looking at a few of your reasons I'd put some balance on them

1) The press - Sure they were bad in the UK but at least you had choice. Oz papers arn't really brain teasers

2) High fuel costs. Yep definitley very high. A lot cheaper in Oz. But when your earning an Aussie dollar and you see the price fluctuate up to 15c in a week you get a bit annoyed at that as well

3) Whingin Poms .. Theres a few of us over here

4) Q' n traffic. If you are living in a city/burbs area you are going to find there is very heavy traffic. My journey to work varies through the week and times are between 25mins to 1 hour 10 mins.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

g and l is an unknown quantity at this point

What I see is attempts at justifying a very risky move rather than a constructive attempt at bettering your life. It is a slag off Britain exercise rather than being constructive or considered.
Get a dictionary, look up FUN. As a general rule people are motivated by adverse conditions and oppotunities. Consider the adverse, are they that bad? worth taking that "very risky move"?

Bondipom, you presume an awful lot, I set up this poll, and it was my intention for it to be partly fun, and also to generate discussion about the perceived adverse conditions, allowing an opportunity for myself and others to debate them in a safe, friendly way.

Again, i'm sorry you missed that.

Last edited by g and l; Jan 30th 2004 at 2:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.