Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you miss about the UK?

Wikiposts

What will you miss about the UK?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:28 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future
Default Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Originally Posted by wombat42
You can lie in the grass without the fear of snakes or spiders. How many people are bitten by snakes or spiders lying down in the grass of their back yard or their local parks in OZ, l would say almost none you would be more likely to be struck by lightning..
You're right, it's more likely we'll be consumed by ants and bitten to death by Mossies ... and thats assuming we don't bleed to death when we inadvertently lie on a discarded beer stubbie!

"Natural Beauty and nature" If you have ever left suburban Perth and traveled all around OZ you will see that it has alot more natural beauty and nature then the Uk..
Oh dear! It's pretty obvious that Oz will have more natural beauty and nature - it's a bigger country!!! I'll try to enjoy it while I'm travelling in the middle of nowehere on pothole infested roads covered in dust and dead wildlife!

"History" The UK has more histroy then OZ but is that really so important?.
I always thought History was quite important, if we hadn't bothered to come over in the first place you'd live in a pretty undeveloped place. The majority of Aussies that take vacations in the UK go for 1 reason ... the History!

"Weather you can walk in without collapse." What about all the freezing cold days in The Uk where you collapse in the cold..
I lived in the UK for 30 years and never collapsed in the cold. It's alot easier to keep warm when it's cold - than keep cool when it's stinking hot.

You can actually buy fish and chips and local chip shops in OZ, which many have said is better quality then the UK.
Now we are getting silly ... our fish & chips are better than yours! I've tried fish and chips here and UK and guess what - there're fish and chips!!!

I love the UK! I moved to Oz purely for political reasons, life was a struggle trying to run your own business and the UK government was forever trying to screw me so I thought what the hell, let's give Oz a try. Good move!

There are many Pros & Cons for life in the UK and in Australia but I think Wombat42's comments are just typical of the 'anti-UK' and 'Oz Is Best' beliefs of a few disgruntled Aussies. (I bet he supports the 'change our flag' scheme with a passion!)

To any fellow Brits who are 'incoming' I say this; You'll find Australia is very much like America; lots of space, in your face advertising, awful TV viewing, extreme weather climates, 'over-the-top' patriots etc etc. But overall it's a great place to live and to bring up your kids. I will continue to enjoy living here but I won't forget where I came from - the good old United Kingdom!

Have a good day everyone.
DC

Last edited by PIXAU; Apr 24th 2005 at 1:34 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:02 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by PIXAU

To any fellow Brits who are 'incoming' I say this; You'll find Australia is very much like America; lots of space, in your face advertising, awful TV viewing, extreme weather climates, 'over-the-top' patriots etc etc. But overall it's a great place to live and to bring up your kids. I will continue to enjoy living here but I won't forget where I came from - the good old United Kingdom!

DC
Well said!!!!

If we want to have a chat about the differences of each place, so be it. Those differences will always be there in your own mind, it is how you handle them that matters.

M

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:06 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: What will you miss about the UK?

To any fellow Brits who are 'incoming' I say this; You'll find Australia is very much like America; lots of space, in your face advertising, awful TV viewing, extreme weather climates, 'over-the-top' patriots etc etc. But overall it's a great place to live and to bring up your kids. I will continue to enjoy living here but I won't forget where I came from - the good old United Kingdom
Amen to that
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:15 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

You can lie in the grass without the fear of snakes or spiders.

"Natural Beauty and nature" If you have ever left suburban Perth and traveled all around OZ you will see that it has alot more natural beauty and nature then the Uk.

"History" The UK has more histroy then OZ but is that really so important?

" Weather you can walk in without collapse." In summer you get a few hot days most of the year the weather is cool to mild 15-30c and perfect for outdoors. What about all the freezing cold days in The Uk where you collapse in the cold.

You can actually buy fish and chips and local chip shops in OZ, which many have said is better quality then the UK.
Agree about the spiders/snakes.

Disagree about the natural beauty. W.A. is beautiful, in it`s own ways of course... but it`s brown, dry and dusty... the most colour is from the budgies. It can`t compete in any way, shape or form to the green beauty of Britain. I live in the `Garden of England` atm.... there`s no `Garden of Australia` state that can compete.

History is of HUGE importance to me at least.... though it depends what you`re into. If you don`t get into history then it doesn`t matter and you won`t miss it in Oz. But I`m into history, and I`m proud of being Australian, and also proud of the English & Scottish blood in me. For me, the History is the thing I will miss the most of all, with the Scenery and travel not too far behind.

haf/half about the weather... in Perth during summer you can get too many days when it`s uncomfortably hot. In the UK it depends where you live. In the South it`s not too bad at all. I actually love the UK weather, as it`s so unpredictable and changeable. In Perth having the same predictable weather year after year get`s very boring. Only people who have lived there for years will understand. For the rest of you.... the predictable sunshine joy will soon wear off.

Interesting about the fish & chips. Culture comes to Aus at last

Last edited by Stormz; Apr 24th 2005 at 9:19 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:29 pm
wombat42

You're right, it's more likely we'll be consumed by ants and bitten to death by Mossies ... and thats assuming we don't bleed to death when we inadvertently lie on a discarded beer stubbie!

Oh dear! It's pretty obvious that Oz will have more natural beauty and nature - it's a bigger country!!! I'll try to enjoy it while I'm travelling in the middle of nowehere on pothole infested roads covered in dust and dead wildlife!

I always thought History was quite important, if we hadn't bothered to come over in the first place you'd live in a pretty undeveloped place. The majority of Aussies that take vacations in the UK go for 1 reason ... the History!

I lived in the UK for 30 years and never collapsed in the cold. It's alot easier to keep warm when it's cold - than keep cool when it's stinking hot.

Now we are getting silly ... our fish & chips are better than yours! I've tried fish and chips here and UK and guess what - there're fish and chips!!!

I love the UK! I moved to Oz purely for political reasons, life was a struggle trying to run your own business and the UK government was forever trying to screw me so I thought what the hell, let's give Oz a try. Good move!

There are many Pros & Cons for life in the UK and in Australia but I think Wombat42's comments are just typical of the 'anti-UK' and 'Oz Is Best' beliefs of a few disgruntled Aussies. (I bet he supports the 'change our flag' scheme with a passion!)

DC
Of course l support changing the Aussie flag and the Republic, l bet you would'nt like it if you had the flag of a foreign country in the corner of your flag, or a foreigner as your head of state.Poms like you come out here expecting OZ some sort of British colony and exactly like Britain with sunshine and Aussies to be some sort of second rate Brits sucking up to our colonial masters, waving the union jack and singing God save the Queen , Sorry you are dissapointed that OZ is nothing like that.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:32 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Of course l support changing the Aussie flag and the Republic, l bet you would'nt like it if you had the flag of a foreign country in the corner of your flag, or a foreigner as your head of state.Poms like you come out here expecting OZ some sort of British colony and exactly like Britain with sunshine and Aussies to be some sort of second rate Brits sucking up to our colonial masters, waving the union jack and singing God save the Queen , Sorry you are dissapointed that OZ is nothing like that.
That's a real random rant Wombat, even for you.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:35 pm
Merlot

Just a question Wombat42, how far does your heritage go in Australia?

Are you part of the indigenous population or did you or your forefathers come over from Europe? I would be interested to understand your thinking more if I may.

You also will find that most from Britain don't wave the Union Jack or even know the first verse of God Save the Queen, let alone know there is a second one.

Merlot

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:36 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Stormz
Agree about the spiders/snakes.

Disagree about the natural beauty. W.A. is beautiful, in it`s own ways of course... but it`s brown, dry and dusty... the most colour is from the budgies. It can`t compete in any way, shape or form to the green beauty of Britain. I live in the `Garden of England` atm.... there`s no `Garden of Australia` state that can compete.

History is of HUGE importance to me at least.... though it depends what you`re into. If you don`t get into history then it doesn`t matter and you won`t miss it in Oz. But I`m into history, and I`m proud of being Australian, and also proud of the English & Scottish blood in me. For me, the History is the thing I will miss the most of all, with the Scenery and travel not too far behind.

haf/half about the weather... in Perth during summer you can get too many days when it`s uncomfortably hot. In the UK it depends where you live. In the South it`s not too bad at all. I actually love the UK weather, as it`s so unpredictable and changeable. In Perth having the same predictable weather year after year get`s very boring. Only people who have lived there for years will understand. For the rest of you.... the predictable sunshine joy will soon wear off.

Interesting about the fish & chips. Culture comes to Aus at last
There is alot more to OZ then Perth and WA.
Yes WA gets hot in summer and the countryside in brown. But thats why 90%
of the population lives along the east coast where the countryside in green. and the climate cool to mild most of the year.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:37 pm
Merlot

There is alot more to OZ then Perth and WA.
Yes WA gets hot in summer and the countryside in brown. But thats why 90%
of the population lives along the east coast where the countryside in green. and the climate cool to mild most of the year.
You also don't seem to be keen on WA or Perth Wombat 42

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:39 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

I won't miss my mother in law!! :scared: :scared:

Jayne
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:41 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Stormz

What about Tasmania. Also most of Victoria and NSW where the countryside is Green and a cool climate.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

What about Tasmania. Also most of Victoria and NSW where the countryside is Green and a cool climate.
Yes, Victoria is officially 'The Garden State' isn't it.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:44 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Merlot
Just a question Wombat42, how far does your heritage go in Australia?

Are you part of the indigenous population or did you or your forefathers come over from Europe? I would be interested to understand your thinking more if I may.

You also will find that most from Britain don't wave the Union Jack or even know the first verse of God Save the Queen, let alone know there is a second one.

Merlot
An OZ Patriot answering back to its whinging Pom critics.

I can't hear much answering back???

M

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:44 pm
wombat42

You also don't seem to be keen on WA or Perth Wombat 42
Its only Poms that want to live in WA in the middle of a hot desert.
Aussies have more sense and live in the eastern states.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 24th 2005 at 9:49 pm.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:45 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Merlot
My kids now know the words to the Aussie National Anthem......I think they would struggle recognise God Save the Queen (my fault my family are Irish and Hubbie is Scottish so not the biggest patriots!!) My 7 year old can draw a map of Australia and place all the State Capitals, major natural beauty spots. She hadn't a clue of the Uk geography. Not all Poms expect Australia to be like the UK some actually arrive because it IS different, however the two are intertwined and that is part of Australian culture

Can you tell I've been to the bottle shop???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.