Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you miss about the UK?

Wikiposts

What will you miss about the UK?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:59 am
wombat42

Default Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
OK, OK, let's all concede - the wildlife is bigger/better/prettier in OZ, the fish and chips are tastier/warmer/cheaper, the grass is softer/greener/lusher and the weather is a million times better than the UK, even when it's 48 degrees in the shade for the 6th day in a row.
48 degrees in the shade 6th day in the row, where does it get that hot,
Marble Bar in the far Northern outback of WA maybe,but how many people would live out there, almost none. What about the eastern states where 90% of the population lives, It would never get to 48C , you would get around 15 - 20 days a year between 35- 42c in summer but 90% of the year its cool to mild 12- 30 c.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 24th 2005 at 8:02 am.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:59 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Only really a couple of things I will really miss, the rest I'm sure will be compensated by something else in Oz.The main things I will miss are all my friends and family, being able to wake up on my day off and meet my mum for a coffee in town. Roast dinners on a Sunday as I'm sure in QLD weather I won't fancy standing in a hot kitchen for hours on end.
I know I'm one of those people that moan about it when it comes but I will miss snow, especially around Christmas time, I can't imagine Christmas being in the middle of Summer.
Marie
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:02 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Family and friends are my main concern. Although most of ourr family is out there already. I have some close friends that I have grown up with since the beginning of school, overs 30 years and we regularly go out etc!

I know people will say you will make new friends but thats not the same! We do get on with everyone and cant see it being a huge problem but its always in the back of my mind.

Mind you, if and when the new A380 goes in to service you can fly your whole town out to see you, just a problem trying to put them all up!

I suppose I will miss the weather, just a little bit and some of our countryside but I am sure Oz will make up for that.

R.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:03 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
I know I'm one of those people that moan about it when it comes but I will miss snow, especially around Christmas time, I can't imagine Christmas being in the middle of Summer.
Marie
Actually add snow to my list too. I quite like snow, even though it can be a nightmare because I work in a fairly remote spot (remote in UK terms anyway ) that can easily be cut off after a heavy fall.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
48 degrees in the shade 6th day in the row, where does it get that hot,
Mildura
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:06 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wmoore
Actually add snow to my list too. I quite like snow, even though it can be a nightmare because I work in a fairly remote spot (remote in UK terms anyway ) that can easily be cut off after a heavy fall.
Agree with that to.

I do like the snow and we don't really get enough of it where we live. The only downside to it is when it all turns to a blackie, brown mush on the road and makes a mess of your car!

R.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:08 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
Agree with that to.

I do like the snow and we don't really get enough of it where we live. The only downside to it is when it all turns to a blackie, brown mush on the road and makes a mess of your car!

R.
you get sonw in OZ in the mountian tops near Melbourne
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:12 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Exactly, there are snow fields and ski resorts in the mountains of eastern Victoria and Southern NSW.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 24th 2005 at 8:15 am.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:12 am
I am not the Messiah!

Ben are you still trying the reading experiment?

R.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

One of the more recent developments in the UK, and pleasing for a change, is the festival. Most major towns now have these for a couple of weeks sometime from spring to autumn, and one can see theatre, concerts, galleries, fairs etc. Obviously, the Edinburgh International one was the first, then Aldeburgh, and so on. Now just about every place has one. Oz is slowly catching on to this to, so let's hope they embrace it too.

I think it's a win-win situation all round: the festival town gets some visibility, the performing artists get gigs, the tourists get something interesting. Roll on...
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

ah i'm a northern lass I will definitely miss the beauty of north wales and the lake district, as well as the humour... I've lived in London for 6 years but still miss it.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I will miss waking up in the morning , opening the window and breathing in all those exhaust fumes.

I will miss those rain filled weekends.

I will miss those 5 hour drives to the seaside..
is your glass aways half empty?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

A song from way back.

G
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

A song from way back.

G

Joni Mitchell, Big yellow Taxi

I cannot beleive that no one has mentioned, Football, and everything that goes with it, TV coverage, the banter, the prelude, the aftermath, I must have had it bad lol !

I still feel like I'm missing out with Aussie fish and chips. Although, that does seem to be a minority view. Maybe I like the flavour of Lard or something about the English version.

History and culture, Didn't miss it at all at first, however as time goes by, I find I'm missing it more and more.

The Buzz, importance and arrogance of London.

Proximity to Europe.

The Tube System. Best system for moving around fast, However not as pleasant and relaxed as using Trams.

Oh yeah and Regional accents, (except for the worst one in England, everyone knows what I'm talking about here, but wont insult by actually by disclosing )

As for Wombats Snow, Well I've seen Snow once in Melbourne, in my time here, plus to get to actually touch that snow, just north and east of Mansfield, costs about 20 bucks, entrance fee for the Mount Hotham Car park. Never had to pay for snow In England

However I wouldn't swap what I have now, for the above.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: What will you miss about the UK?

MORGANS SPICED RUM !!!! :scared:
Fairy washing powder.
Comfort pure ( Have a 3 year old son with bad eczema and still can't find powder that cleans the clothes , smells good and doesn't affect his skin )
Anthisan anti histamine cream.
Things with codiene in them - controlled drug over here.
Frazzels ,
Quavers ,
Wotsits ,
Square crisps,
INDIAN FOOD !!!
In fact the list is mainly stuff you can't buy !
I do miss waking up and not seeing the sun.
Outdoor concerts with international bands from the current era , not headliners from 20 years ago!
To a certain extent the European political correctness.
Free dental care for the kids.
Classroom assistants and extra cirricular activities that don't involve sport.
Security of the schools.
Medical follow ups at the hospital you were treated in and not some place in the high street.
Pre-school education. structure,availability and free of charge !
Tesco's no "Q" policy.
Rain.
Puddles .
Snowmen.
Daffodils and snowdrops.
The "greeness" of the country.
Virgin Vie.
Decent TV.
Okay , better stop . This could go on forever !
All the best,
Tass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.