British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   what will work in oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-will-work-oz-372110/)

hindon May 7th 2006 8:02 pm

what will work in oz?

can anyone tell me for my husbands sake if he can take his collection of power tools when we emigrate?
will they work over there?
i on the other hand worry about whether my children can take there sony ps2, dvd player, nintendo, electric guitar and keyboard.
can anyone that has done the move help us all?

john_w May 7th 2006 8:19 pm

Re: what will work in oz?

Originally Posted by hindon
can anyone tell me for my husbands sake if he can take his collection of power tools when we emigrate?
i on the other hand worry about whether my children can take there sony ps2, dvd player, nintendo, electric guitar and keyboard.

I,m sure all the power tools and music stuff will be fine after the plugs have been changed to Aus. ones ( of course using a qualified electrician :rolleyes: )The DVD/ps2 ect. may be region2, it will still play all your UK stuff but you might have problems with new stuff you but in Aus. I have heard there are 'hack' sites which may offer codes to unlock DVD players and maybe even people who 'chip' ps2 ect...allegedly :cool:
If I were you I'd take the lot

hindon May 7th 2006 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by john_w
I,m sure all the power tools and music stuff will be fine after the plugs have been changed to Aus. ones ( of course using a qualified electrician :rolleyes: )The DVD/ps2 ect. may be region2, it will still play all your UK stuff but you might have problems with new stuff you but in Aus. I have heard there are 'hack' sites which may offer codes to unlock DVD players and maybe even people who 'chip' ps2 ect...allegedly :cool:
If I were you I'd take the lot

can you not change the plugs yourself like inthe uk?

meelie May 7th 2006 8:39 pm

We shipped over my daughters PS2 and a multi region dvd player and have had no problems playing dvds or games on them bought from Oz.

mand8002 May 7th 2006 10:39 pm

We haven't got round to changing plugs yet on anything, we are still using the adaptors that we brought with us to put us on and everything works fine.
We have not had a problem with dvds or ps2 games either and in fact my daughter has bought a nintendo ds here and games bought from other countries work on it so just bring it all

Jimclevs May 8th 2006 1:49 am

Hi

When John W mentioned the bit about being a "qualified electrician" I just knew you would ask that next question :D

There was a very long recent thread on this same subject which makes interesting, and amusing, reading. Please put up a search unless someone can come up with the link.

........... now......... where did I put that light bulb? ;)

Jim

Welshie May 8th 2006 1:52 am

I changed all the plugs myself, but I have heard on here that you are supposed to get an electrician to do it just to cover yaself in case anything happens. hey, it ain't rocket science.... :)

jdt3000 May 8th 2006 2:16 am

Power Tools: Fine, my dad has had no problems with his

PS2: Fine, just get a new cable, thats what I did

DVD Player: Should be fine

Nintendo (Gamecube?): Replacement cables cannot be bought for this, and if you rewire it and it short circuits you have lost a games console. Maybe try selling it in the UK, and rebuying out here? Or, try to find a replacement (must be nintendo made) cable, but there aren't many around, I have already looked all over...

Electric Guitar: Unsure

Keyboard: Unsure

There are certain electrical goods that you can and cannot rewire, or put new Australian plugs on. Generally the bigger goods (PCs, TVs etc) shouldn't be replugged. I'm sure there is probably a website somewhere that tells you what you can and can't rewire...

gedge May 8th 2006 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

When John W mentioned the bit about being a "qualified electrician" I just knew you would ask that next question :D

There was a very long recent thread on this same subject which makes interesting, and amusing, reading. Please put up a search unless someone can come up with the link.

........... now......... where did I put that light bulb? ;)

Jim

It's live Jim but not as we know it. :D

Jimclevs May 8th 2006 2:28 am

Originally Posted by gedge

OP............ there you go !

Thanks Gedge. :D

Jim

Amazulu May 8th 2006 2:43 am

Get one of these (the GBP6.99 one) before you leave & your DECT cordless or fixed landline phones will work over here too:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtempla...0ADAPTOR%20CAP

I'm using one & it works.

gedge May 8th 2006 4:40 am

OP............ there you go !

Thanks Gedge. :D

Jim

I couldn't resist once I'd thought of a witty line.
Well it made me laugh anyway.

Jimclevs May 8th 2006 10:34 am

Originally Posted by gedge
I couldn't resist once I'd thought of a witty line.
Well it made me laugh anyway.

Bus***d :D

Jimclevs May 8th 2006 10:38 am

Bus***d :D

........ and must log off now....... its Desperate H's time ....... and that Eva whatever-her-name is skinny but FIT !!

Jim

gedge May 8th 2006 10:40 pm

........ and must log off now....... its Desperate H's time ....... and that Eva whatever-her-name is skinny but FIT !!

Jim

Sorry mate, she don't do it for me.
When they had her advertising the Melb Cup I thought she was one of the runners.