Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are we missing? Scary time!

What are we missing? Scary time!

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Lambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura about
Red face What are we missing? Scary time!

True confessions, we're Yanks, from Oregon. We love being guests in this great forum and haven't found anything like it so please excuse our lurking in the shadows.

My husband has an offer with the Aus government and our 457's are at the "X-ray received, health records complete" stage, as of today.

Our house sold and will hopefully close December 15th.
We opened a Commonwealth and Fx bank account.
Given away most of our belongings.
Received bids for shipping a pallet of boxes.
Arranged to housesit for a collegue the first two weeks we arrive.
We have one-way tickets to Melbourne for December 23rd.

I've been browsing the "things to do" sticky's but am starting to just have a general sense of panic at this point.
  • What if our 457's aren't approved in the next 20 days?
  • Will we be able to find a rental in Melbourne within two weeks, especially during the holidays? How competitive is it really?
  • How detailed do our packing manifests need to be? I fear I'll be throwing clothes around dishware at the last minute.

Any advice that will help me focus my efforts right now? I'm feeling immobilized and overwhelmed. (PS - also taking finals in grad school this week and having very complicated family problems while our home buyers keep coming up with addendums...)

Help?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are we missing? Scary time!

Originally Posted by Lambuel N Ruby
True confessions, we're Yanks, from Oregon. We love being guests in this great forum and haven't found anything like it so please excuse our lurking in the shadows.

My husband has an offer with the Aus government and our 457's are at the "X-ray received, health records complete" stage, as of today.

I've been browsing the "things to do" sticky's but am starting to just have a general sense of panic at this point.
  • Will we be able to find a rental in Melbourne within two weeks, especially during the holidays? How competitive is it really?
  • How detailed do our packing manifests need to be? I fear I'll be throwing clothes around dishware at the last minute.

Any advice that will help me focus my efforts right now? I'm feeling immobilized and overwhelmed. (PS - also taking finals in grad school this week and having very complicated family problems while our home buyers keep coming up with addendums...)

Help?
First of all, sorry cos I can't really help as just about to be at your stage but wanted to send you a virtual hug! It is quite overwhelming I agree.

There are loads of people on here with experience and I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Hope you get the answers you need and good luck! Where are you going to in Australia? Didn't know if the job was Canberra based or not......

Itigo
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:19 pm
ABCDiamond

What if our 457's aren't approved in the next 20 days?
At a rough guess, they won't allow you entry...

I would be checking that point quickly...

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Help?

That all sounds a bit final considering the 457 is a temporary visa.

Just Curious...but why would you want to leave Oregon for Australia?

My brother lives in Portland.

G
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Lambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura about

We were told that we could get 457's more efficiently given the aggressive timeline.

My husband will start the process for employer sponsored permanent residence once we clear the moving hurdle. I thought that was somewhat common.

Have also heard mixed reports of being able to arrive with a tourist visa with a one-way ticket and certainly hate to have to count on it.

Oregon is beautiful. We are just ready for a change, don't have kids, want some adventure. Whoever is having a bad time living in Australia sure isn't telling anyone! LOL

I know we've made most the mistakes in the book here but it has kept life interesting to dive in to the "deep end" of the pool!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

We were told that we could get 457's more efficiently given the aggressive timeline.

Whoever is having a bad time living in Australia sure isn't telling anyone! LOL

Many people have problems with the 457 visa...make sure you are clued up on what it means....it effectively ties you to an employer. If you lose or leave the job you have to leave the country.

Why will they not employ you on a PR visa from the start.

There are a lot of people unhappy and having a basd time in Australia and many who return to their country of origin...try reading through this forum and also the 'moving back to the UK' section.

G
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

They offered PR from the start, but did not think it would be processed by the time they wanted us there.

Is that incorrect, that they take longer and are more complicated to get issued?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Is that incorrect, that they take longer and are more complicated to get issued?
It depends.

PR is a far more secure option although you may lose some tax advantages.

At least, with PR, you can move on if the job or area is not right.

G
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Smile Approved 2 days after X-rays arrived

Wow... all that worrying paid off...it looks like the 457's were approved and they just recieved our chest x-rays two days ago. The whole process took less than a month.

This is embarrassing but I don't know what to do now and can't find it on the site. Is there a letter or stickers we'll receive in the mail to afix to our passports?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
There are a lot of people unhappy and having a basd time in Australia and many who return to their country of origin...try reading through this forum and also the 'moving back to the UK' section.

G
What % do you reckon, of those that migrate, actually return home ?

Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What % do you reckon, of those that migrate, actually return home ?
Around 25%.....as a percentage of the number of arrivals each year

We have had this debate many times.

It's all in here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...ate_june07.pdf

G
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Around 25%.....as a percentage of the number of arrivals each year

We have had this debate many times.

It's all in here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...ate_june07.pdf

G

I'm saying NOTHING
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm saying NOTHING
No doubt this will turn into a tedious exchange of interpretations of statistic but the DIAC figures are there for all to see.

G
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt this will turn into a tedious exchange of interpretations of statistic but the DIAC figures are there for all to see.

G

I'm still saying nothing
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm still saying nothing
Actually, looking at the figures again, it seems that over 30% leave eventually

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.