Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Vaccinations Do My Cats Need?

What Vaccinations Do My Cats Need?

Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:13 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Vaccinations Do My Cats Need?

Hi everyone, my two cats are due their annual boosters next week and this will be their last (hopefully) before moving to Oz next year. Can anyone who's taken their cat confirm exactly what innoculations they need so I can advise my vet if there's anything over and above the usual annual boosters. eg. Do they need rabies jags?

Cheers

Gill
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:21 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Vaccinations Do My Cats Need?

Originally Posted by herrchook
Hi everyone, my two cats are due their annual boosters next week and this will be their last (hopefully) before moving to Oz next year. Can anyone who's taken their cat confirm exactly what innoculations they need so I can advise my vet if there's anything over and above the usual annual boosters. eg. Do they need rabies jags?

Cheers

Gill
Hi Gill,

Not to sure if this link will help.

Cheers

Ginny x

http://www.daff.gov.au/corporate_doc...og/infosh2.pdf
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Cat's are easy - just vaccinate as normal. It's only dogs that require special vaccinations and blood tests etc. prior to travelling.

We brought our dog and two cats over last year.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:16 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Cat's are easy - just vaccinate as normal. It's only dogs that require special vaccinations and blood tests etc. prior to travelling.

We brought our dog and two cats over last year.
So it all looks straightforward. No rabies shots then?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:21 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

So it all looks straightforward. No rabies shots then?
No.
Our vets gave us the number for DEFRA where you can get info for getting an Export certificate its 01162787451.
They sent me a pack, one for the cat and one for the dog, but I must admit I have'nt had chance to look at it, but it looks far from simple!!!!

Have you got any shipping quotes yet? :scared: C x
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:25 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Gill
hey gill were taking 2 cats as well,how are you getting on with your application,i put mine in the same day as you,heard anything?

ast
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
hey gill were taking 2 cats as well,how are you getting on with your application,i put mine in the same day as you,heard anything?

ast
Was going to take my kitties but they;re staying mith my mum for a bit to check its the right decision for my partner and I.

You have to have the microchipped. They do have to have a blood test 6 months before they go and the vert has to verify that they the test shows no rabies etc.

They have to stay in quarantine for 30 days on the other side. (We were looking at the one in Sydney) They have a roomy cage with access to the roof and the sun so that's not too bad. Pictures here!

Then there's the shipping cost. It worked out at about £750 for my two cats to share the same cage. That's the flight and the cage to put them in.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:33 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Was going to take my kitties but they;re staying mith my mum for a bit to check its the right decision for my partner and I.

You have to have the microchipped. They do have to have a blood test 6 months before they go and the vert has to verify that they the test shows no rabies etc.

They have to stay in quarantine for 30 days on the other side. (We were looking at the one in Sydney) They have a roomy cage with access to the roof and the sun so that's not too bad. Pictures here!

Then there's the shipping cost. It worked out at about £750 for my two cats to share the same cage. That's the flight and the cage to put them in.
please could you give me the details of the company you used,thats £400 less than we were quoted..

aston
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:52 pm
Been here since 31.12.06.

off-to-melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aston man
please could you give me the details of the company you used,thats £400 less than we were quoted..

aston

Me too, please.

I received a quote from Airpets for one cat, which included picking him up from Derby, for a massive £1268 and does not include the actual quarantine costs.

Thanks,

Denise
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by off-to-melbourne
Me too, please.

I received a quote from Airpets for one cat, which included picking him up from Derby, for a massive £1268 and does not include the actual quarantine costs.

Thanks,

Denise
seems to good to be true,that cannot be the right price,i hope it is.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:29 pm
Sunny Sydney

They do have to have a blood test 6 months before they go and the vert has to verify that they the test shows no rabies etc.
Hmm, how do we work that out if we're not 100% sure when we're going? How did you all get around that one?

I'd be interested in hearing who quoted that amount too.

Gill
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:53 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, how do we work that out if we're not 100% sure when we're going? How did you all get around that one?

I'd be interested in hearing who quoted that amount too.

Gill
Me too...been quoted £3000 today for one cat and one dog!!! C x
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Yes they do have to be microchipped.

No they don't require a blood test.

Only dogs require a blood test and it's not related to rabies.

We used Airpets and could not fault them. I got the import and export permit myself and friends took them to Airpets so I saved a fair bit on that.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Here's the entire email.... It's long...

We have pleasure in enclosing our quotation for the transportation of your cats “Hendrix & Stanley” to Sydney, Australia from London Heathrow with Qantas.

The quote is based on a weekday flight (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) and includes all Airfreight and Export Airline Handling charges, Airline Documentation, IATA approved Transit Kennel (based on “Hendrix & Stanley” sharing one kennel), Veterinary Sealing fee, and delivery to the airline 4 hours before the flight.

The quote is based on the fact that you will be completing the necessary paperwork/veterinary requirements; a list of these is enclosed for your convenience. We would be able to complete these for you if “Hendrix & Stanley” have been microchipped and their yearly vaccinations are up to date.

Optional Additional costs

Full Export Health certificate (per cat)

£95.00

K.

4 x nights cattery (per cat)

£32.00

L.

Import Permit

£205.00

The quote is also based on delivery of “Hendrix & Stanley” to our offices on the day of departure. If it is more convenient, we could collect them from your home address for the additional cost of £145.60.

Should you have any further questions or need any help completing the paperwork please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
Sam Seeley

Sam Seeley

Quotation Quote No: AU 0602161

Date: 17 February 2006

For the Air Transportation of Domestic Livestock;

Type & Breed of Animal: 2 x Domestic Cats “Hendrix & Stanley”
Airport of Departure: Heathrow
Airport of Arrival: Sydney, Australia

Transit Kennel Sizes: 1 @ 30 x 16 x 18 In

Based on “Hendrix & Stanley” sharing a kennel

CHARGES - Qantas

A.Freight charges LHR - SYD
£525.02

B.Airline Handling/FSC/ISC
£65.12

C.Agency Fees
£48.00

D.IATA Approved Transit Kennels x 1
£55.00

E.Veterinary Sealing Fees @ Heathrow
£85.50

F.Our of hours delivery to Qantas
£20.00

Total
£798.64

Terms & Conditions

i. The above quote is based in part on information supplied by the customer; Airsupply Shipping Agents and or their agents cannot be held responsible for any miscalculation based on incorrect information supplied by the customer.

ii. Airsupply Shipping Agents and or their agents accept no responsibility for inconvenience or extra costs incurred by the rescheduling / cancellation / delay of flights or airline surcharges outside of our control.

iii. The above quote is valid for 28 days from the above date.

Iv Charges are payable at least 3 weeks prior to departure.

V If a credit card is used there is a 5 % surcharge.

Vi If a Debit Card is used there will be a £1.50 transaction fee applied.

vii. Instructions are accepted subject to the company’s standard conditions of service, copies of which are available upon request.

Viii All quotations are based on charges to arrival destination airport unless specifically requested.

Paperwork Requirements

1. Import Permit, (to be applied for from AQIS)
2. Export Health Certificate(to be applied for from DEFRA)
3. Form 618 NDC (will arrive with Export Health Certificate)
4. Written declaration from you regarding residency/age/sex/pregnancy as submitted to the vet for the completion of the Export Health Certificate.
5. Vaccination Card showing vaccination certificates for feline enteritis, feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivirus showing vaccination at least 14 days before the flight and not more than 11 months beforehand.
The vet at Heathrow must see originals before they can sign the last part of the Health Certificate.

Timescales
2 Months before departure the import permits needs to be applied for.
6 weeks before departure the Export Health Certificates need to be applied fornWithin 4 days of travel the Export health certificate needs to be completed by an LVI, who will complete the tick and tape worm treatment.

Australian summary information and requirements for the importation of cats and dogs.

Animals must be shipped in IATA approved transit kennels that allow the animal to stand up without touching the top of the box, lie down and turn around. It is a requirement that cats and dogs are shipped as manifest cargo and not as excess baggage. There are only three Quarantine Kennels in Australia - based in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney - so animals must enter Australia at one of these airports. If you are unable to collect your pet(s), arrangements for movement of pets from these Kennels to other cities in Australia may be possible after the quarantine period but would have to be made in Australia. The kennels themselves will probably be able to help, as this is not an unusual request.

From the UK it is a requirement that cats and dogs complete 30 days in Quarantine.

Current costs (as of 30/07/05) are A$416.50 for first cat, A$326.50 for subsequent cats, A$536.50 for first dog, A$386.50 for subsequent dogs. Other charges include A$95.00 Airport removal fee per consignment. Examination of the animal is A$68.00 per animal per half hour. Lodgement of a quarantine entry form is A$12.00. Documentation clearance is A$30.00 per quarter hour or part thereof. Veterinary treatment and supplies are extra and at cost. Unfortunately these costs cannot be included in our quote and need to be settled by you directly with the quarantine station.

Animals must be accompanied by the following paperwork:

a) An Import Permit obtained from Australian Quarantine Services (Current cost A$280.00 for first pet and A$60.00 for additional pets). Application forms can be obtained from the AQIS website or we can send you copies as required. All animals must be microchipped (approved types only) before an Import Permit can be applied for. One application form must be completed for each animal. The Import Permit will be valid for two months from your stated expected export date.

b) An Official Export Health Certificate (this must be applied for from DEFRA (formerly the Ministry of Agriculture) –

Only part A is to be completed and certified by your LVI within 96 hours of the flight (Part B will be completed by Portal Veterinarian).

c) For cats, vaccination certificates for feline enteritis, feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivirus showing vaccination at least 14 days before the flight and not more than 11 months beforehand.

For dogs, vaccination certificates for distemper, infectious hepatitis, canine parvovirus and parainfluenza (D,H,P,Pi) showing vaccination at least 14 days before the flight and not more than 11 months beforehand.

d) In the case of dogs only, blood samples to be tested for Brucella Canis and Ehrlichia must be submitted to the relevant authority (VLA, Weybridge, Surrey) within 30 days of the flight. The dog must be treated with a long lasting acaricide within 24 hrs of the blood sample for Ehrlichia being taken.

A blood sample to be tested for Leptospirosis (L. interrogans serovar canicola) must be submitted to the relevant authority (VLA, Weybridge, Surrey) within 30 days of the flight. Negative results at the relevant titres must be obtained for all tests.

If the dog has been vaccinated against Leptospirosis and the first test comes back negative at a rate of 1:400 but positive at 1:100 then a second blood sample taken not less than 14 days from the original and both within 30 days of the flight must be submitted to the relevant authority. This is to show either a negative (at 1/100) result or a steady and low positive result (positive at 1/100 and negative at 1/400).

The blood test results MUST accompany the Export Health Certificate.

e) Clearance of notifiable diseases certificate (EC618 or 618NDC) from DEFRA. The vet MUST give you this certificate, as the Portal veterinarian requires it to complete part B, not your vet who only completes part A of the Export Health Certificate. If the vet disagrees get them to read part B in full.

f) Written declarations as required, to support the export health certificate.

The full set of requirements must be obtained from your local Animal Health Divisional Office Tel: 01162 787451. Please request from DEFRA a Specimen copy of the Health Certificate as the things that have to be done become somewhat clearer than just referring to the notes.Last updated 3/02/04

Sam Seeley

AIRSUPPLY SHIPPING AGENTS

P.O.Box 311

Staines

Middlesex

TW19 7UU

Phone: 01784 251351

Fax: 01784 252345

Hope this helps..
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:27 pm
Banned

Ok. Here's the entire email.... It's long...

We have pleasure in enclosing our quotation for the transportation of your cats “Hendrix & Stanley” to Sydney, Australia from London Heathrow with Qantas.

The quote is based on a weekday flight (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) and includes all Airfreight and Export Airline Handling charges, Airline Documentation, IATA approved Transit Kennel (based on “Hendrix & Stanley” sharing one kennel), Veterinary Sealing fee, and delivery to the airline 4 hours before the flight.

The quote is based on the fact that you will be completing the necessary paperwork/veterinary requirements; a list of these is enclosed for your convenience. We would be able to complete these for you if “Hendrix & Stanley” have been microchipped and their yearly vaccinations are up to date.

Optional Additional costs

Full Export Health certificate (per cat)

£95.00

K.

4 x nights cattery (per cat)

£32.00

L.

Import Permit

£205.00

The quote is also based on delivery of “Hendrix & Stanley” to our offices on the day of departure. If it is more convenient, we could collect them from your home address for the additional cost of £145.60.

Should you have any further questions or need any help completing the paperwork please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
Sam Seeley

Sam Seeley

Quotation Quote No: AU 0602161

Date: 17 February 2006

For the Air Transportation of Domestic Livestock;

Type & Breed of Animal: 2 x Domestic Cats “Hendrix & Stanley”
Airport of Departure: Heathrow
Airport of Arrival: Sydney, Australia

Transit Kennel Sizes: 1 @ 30 x 16 x 18 In

Based on “Hendrix & Stanley” sharing a kennel

CHARGES - Qantas

A.Freight charges LHR - SYD
£525.02

B.Airline Handling/FSC/ISC
£65.12

C.Agency Fees
£48.00

D.IATA Approved Transit Kennels x 1
£55.00

E.Veterinary Sealing Fees @ Heathrow
£85.50

F.Our of hours delivery to Qantas
£20.00

Total
£798.64

Terms & Conditions

i. The above quote is based in part on information supplied by the customer; Airsupply Shipping Agents and or their agents cannot be held responsible for any miscalculation based on incorrect information supplied by the customer.

ii. Airsupply Shipping Agents and or their agents accept no responsibility for inconvenience or extra costs incurred by the rescheduling / cancellation / delay of flights or airline surcharges outside of our control.

iii. The above quote is valid for 28 days from the above date.

Iv Charges are payable at least 3 weeks prior to departure.

V If a credit card is used there is a 5 % surcharge.

Vi If a Debit Card is used there will be a £1.50 transaction fee applied.

vii. Instructions are accepted subject to the company’s standard conditions of service, copies of which are available upon request.

Viii All quotations are based on charges to arrival destination airport unless specifically requested.

Paperwork Requirements

1. Import Permit, (to be applied for from AQIS)
2. Export Health Certificate(to be applied for from DEFRA)
3. Form 618 NDC (will arrive with Export Health Certificate)
4. Written declaration from you regarding residency/age/sex/pregnancy as submitted to the vet for the completion of the Export Health Certificate.
5. Vaccination Card showing vaccination certificates for feline enteritis, feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivirus showing vaccination at least 14 days before the flight and not more than 11 months beforehand.
The vet at Heathrow must see originals before they can sign the last part of the Health Certificate.

Timescales
2 Months before departure the import permits needs to be applied for.
6 weeks before departure the Export Health Certificates need to be applied fornWithin 4 days of travel the Export health certificate needs to be completed by an LVI, who will complete the tick and tape worm treatment.

Australian summary information and requirements for the importation of cats and dogs.

Animals must be shipped in IATA approved transit kennels that allow the animal to stand up without touching the top of the box, lie down and turn around. It is a requirement that cats and dogs are shipped as manifest cargo and not as excess baggage. There are only three Quarantine Kennels in Australia - based in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney - so animals must enter Australia at one of these airports. If you are unable to collect your pet(s), arrangements for movement of pets from these Kennels to other cities in Australia may be possible after the quarantine period but would have to be made in Australia. The kennels themselves will probably be able to help, as this is not an unusual request.

From the UK it is a requirement that cats and dogs complete 30 days in Quarantine.

Current costs (as of 30/07/05) are A$416.50 for first cat, A$326.50 for subsequent cats, A$536.50 for first dog, A$386.50 for subsequent dogs. Other charges include A$95.00 Airport removal fee per consignment. Examination of the animal is A$68.00 per animal per half hour. Lodgement of a quarantine entry form is A$12.00. Documentation clearance is A$30.00 per quarter hour or part thereof. Veterinary treatment and supplies are extra and at cost. Unfortunately these costs cannot be included in our quote and need to be settled by you directly with the quarantine station.

Animals must be accompanied by the following paperwork:

a) An Import Permit obtained from Australian Quarantine Services (Current cost A$280.00 for first pet and A$60.00 for additional pets). Application forms can be obtained from the AQIS website or we can send you copies as required. All animals must be microchipped (approved types only) before an Import Permit can be applied for. One application form must be completed for each animal. The Import Permit will be valid for two months from your stated expected export date.

b) An Official Export Health Certificate (this must be applied for from DEFRA (formerly the Ministry of Agriculture) –

Only part A is to be completed and certified by your LVI within 96 hours of the flight (Part B will be completed by Portal Veterinarian).

c) For cats, vaccination certificates for feline enteritis, feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivirus showing vaccination at least 14 days before the flight and not more than 11 months beforehand.

For dogs, vaccination certificates for distemper, infectious hepatitis, canine parvovirus and parainfluenza (D,H,P,Pi) showing vaccination at least 14 days before the flight and not more than 11 months beforehand.

d) In the case of dogs only, blood samples to be tested for Brucella Canis and Ehrlichia must be submitted to the relevant authority (VLA, Weybridge, Surrey) within 30 days of the flight. The dog must be treated with a long lasting acaricide within 24 hrs of the blood sample for Ehrlichia being taken.

A blood sample to be tested for Leptospirosis (L. interrogans serovar canicola) must be submitted to the relevant authority (VLA, Weybridge, Surrey) within 30 days of the flight. Negative results at the relevant titres must be obtained for all tests.

If the dog has been vaccinated against Leptospirosis and the first test comes back negative at a rate of 1:400 but positive at 1:100 then a second blood sample taken not less than 14 days from the original and both within 30 days of the flight must be submitted to the relevant authority. This is to show either a negative (at 1/100) result or a steady and low positive result (positive at 1/100 and negative at 1/400).

The blood test results MUST accompany the Export Health Certificate.

e) Clearance of notifiable diseases certificate (EC618 or 618NDC) from DEFRA. The vet MUST give you this certificate, as the Portal veterinarian requires it to complete part B, not your vet who only completes part A of the Export Health Certificate. If the vet disagrees get them to read part B in full.

f) Written declarations as required, to support the export health certificate.

The full set of requirements must be obtained from your local Animal Health Divisional Office Tel: 01162 787451. Please request from DEFRA a Specimen copy of the Health Certificate as the things that have to be done become somewhat clearer than just referring to the notes.Last updated 3/02/04

Sam Seeley

AIRSUPPLY SHIPPING AGENTS

P.O.Box 311

Staines

Middlesex

TW19 7UU

Phone: 01784 251351

Fax: 01784 252345

Hope this helps..

your a star,you have saved us all thousands,,thanks again marcus,

your karmas on its way.

ast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.