Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What UK newspaper do YOU read?

Wikiposts

What UK newspaper do YOU read?

Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I read the Times and the Observer but, like all other UK newspapers they only tell part of the story.

The vast majority of so-called news on TV, in papers and on the radio is media driven, opinion rather than fact and highly selective.

Try listening to the BBC Worldservice news and be amazed at the things going on in the world that never get a mention in the papers.

That's what I think.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:42 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: What UK newspaper do YOU read?

Originally posted by anya4oz
I would agree with that: some of the headlines are quite offensive: wasn't it one of those two that had the headline 'Bonkers Bruno' when the poor guy cracked up?
No, it wasn`t the Mail or Express.... it was the damned two-faced SUN. They changed the headline to something alot more sympathetic for the afternoon edition.

I read them all except the ToryGraph. The broadsheets are a pain to read though (too big). I think the Express is my fave, and you can get it in Oz as well (a weekly edition).
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:51 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally posted by noodle
One of the reasons that I watch the news on Tv is to find out what is really going on in the world.
The tv is just as bad, or even worse in some cases.... even the `unbiased` BBC.

When I was living in South Africa (during apartheid), there was hardly any violence that I knew of (obviously I can only speak of the area I lived in as the SABC wouldn`t have said alot about bad stuff happening either). But I did live close enough to Soweto to know when anything was going on. Most of the violence in SA was between whites vs whites and blacks vs blacks btw (in my experience).

Anyway, I found out through a friend in the UK that the BBC had been reporting about riots in Soweto etc and loads of people dying blah blah blah..... except that we were fine and the footage they had shown was like 10 years old from another riot (probably the only riot). You really can`t believe anything you watch/read at all. Especially with media barons controlling most of the papers and tv (murdoch) and the govt controlling as much as it can (bbc etc).

The truth is out there (but not in the media).
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:37 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to watch the news for my fix.

But I tend to look at the pictures in the SUN!!!!

TT

Originally posted by Servant24kids
There seems to be frequent references to some people being 'Daily Mail' readers, presumably due to their pessimistic view of the UK.

What does this really mean? Is the Daily Mail particularly depressing? Do the other papers 'gloss' over or ignore the unpleasant news? Are Daily Mail readers emigrating en masse?
Or is this reference just an excuse for those who think the UK is "the bee's knees" and don't know what else to say?

What paper do you read?

Incidentally, I change my newspaper every three months or so but my more cerebral hubby always reads the FT (and feels strongly that we should emigrate to Australia or NZ for our future and our kids' futures).