Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What UK newspaper do YOU read?

Wikiposts

What UK newspaper do YOU read?

Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future
Default What UK newspaper do YOU read?

There seems to be frequent references to some people being 'Daily Mail' readers, presumably due to their pessimistic view of the UK.

What does this really mean? Is the Daily Mail particularly depressing? Do the other papers 'gloss' over or ignore the unpleasant news? Are Daily Mail readers emigrating en masse?
Or is this reference just an excuse for those who think the UK is "the bee's knees" and don't know what else to say?

What paper do you read?

Incidentally, I change my newspaper every three months or so but my more cerebral hubby always reads the FT (and feels strongly that we should emigrate to Australia or NZ for our future and our kids' futures).

Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:49 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What UK newspaper do YOU read?

Originally posted by Servant24kids
There seems to be frequent references to some people being 'Daily Mail' readers, presumably due to their pessimistic view of the UK.

What does this really mean? Is the Daily Mail particularly depressing? Do the other papers 'gloss' over or ignore the unpleasant news? Are Daily Mail readers emigrating en masse?
Or is this reference just an excuse for those who think the UK is "the bee's knees" and don't know what else to say?

What paper do you read?

Incidentally, I change my newspaper every three months or so but my more cerebral hubby always reads the FT (and feels strongly that we should emigrate to Australia or NZ for our future and our kids' futures).

my other half reads the sun and daily star.!!!!
I dont have time to read a paper - the magic faraway tree is my lot at the moment!!!!
the mail is good for the puzzle page and travel section, they are the only bits I ever look at!!!
Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to watch the news for the real stories and I buy the mirror on a weekend. I can't actually remember the last time I read it though. I just read the mags that come with it, if I have the time!!!
Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What paper do you read?

The Mail & Express seem to have headlines & stories that will alarm & worry middle aged, middle class readers. Their headlines usually concern asylum seekers, too much debt, house prices crashing, crime etc. I think they are 2 of the worst papers in existence, none of the humour of the other tabloids or the quality of the broadsheets.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:01 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Amazulu
The Mail & Express seem to have headlines & stories that will alarm & worry middle aged, middle class readers. Their headlines usually concern asylum seekers, too much debt, house prices crashing, crime etc. I think they are 2 of the worst papers in existence, none of the humour of the other tabloids or the quality of the broadsheets.
I would agree with that: some of the headlines are quite offensive: wasn't it one of those two that had the headline 'Bonkers Bruno' when the poor guy cracked up?

One thing that's amazed me in the last year is the amount of good political reportage that's turned up in The Mirror, of all places. Articles by people such as John Pilger (award winning Aussie Journalist), very much worth reading, even if you don't agree with their views, for the sheer quality of journalism.

But why does one buy a paper anyway? I have to confess that I buy the Daily Fascist - ie The Telegraph (shock, horror) entirely because I'm addicted to doing its cryptic X-word.

Anya.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

I read whatever paper is on the Tea room table at work. Its a good way to get a balanced view.
I find the best place to get up to date news is the BBC website, although its very matter of fact and not dressed up with amusing Headlines and colourful phrases. At least it doesn't have Jordan draped all over the front page too.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future

What paper do you read?

Is anyone going to admit to reading the Daily Mail?

OK, I will personally admit to reading it of late! :scared:
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:40 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Is anyone going to admit to reading the Daily Mail?

OK, I will personally admit to reading it of late! :scared:

Yes, I read the Daily Mail. Perhaps if we all took notice of the shocking headlines and found out a bit more of the stories behind them, we wouldn't be in the state we are in. If Amazulu wants to bury his/her head in the sand and only read 'nice' headlines then he/she derserves all he/she gets.

And it was the Sun (everythings-wonderful-come-and-look-at-some-boobs) that printed the 'Bonkers Bruno' headline, not the Mail.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:45 am
WBB

i'm a daily sport man myself.

norks 'r' us

Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

I don't buy any newspapers. The daily rags, however highbrow they try to appear, don't interest me at all.

I read the news on the BBC website and also watch the news on TV usually BBC news 24, usually daily.

I think the only thing I miss out on is all the celebrity crap and the crosswords, and even then I could look on the entertainment sections on the website for celeb information, if I really wanted to know what was going on.

I also get a news email from News.com.au and Crikey so I can try and get familiar with who's who and what's going on so I'm a little more clued up when we move.

sandy
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:53 am
Gremlin

Personally I read the Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph. You do have to have an open mind though and read beyond the right wing bias.

In case you're interested, today's paper comes with a 16 page special supplement entitled 'Australia 2004'; it's very interesting.

Keith

Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of The Week. Get everything I need to amuse and inform. Don't need to bother with the other papers now.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:04 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i'm a daily sport man myself.

norks 'r' us

WBB
I only read this thread because I guessed to the word what you would say.
Still made me laugh though.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if I can get the East Anglian Daily Times in Oz.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:10 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by ayanem
I wonder if I can get the East Anglian Daily Times in Oz.
Now ya talking!! I just have to set up a supply line for the 'Cambridge Evening News' when I go, otherwise I will miss out on all those on-the-edge stories about cyclists without lights, pensioners whose cars get towed away, long traffic lines on the A14 etc etc

(and I thought it was the role of the press to provide us with *NEWS*!!)

Anya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.