Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What time does it get it dark in Summer??

What time does it get it dark in Summer??

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What time does it get it dark in Summer??

Brisbane Lat=-27°28'00" Long=+153°01'00"

01/07/2003 Rise 06:39 Set 17:05
01/08/2003 Rise 06:30 Set 17:19
01/09/2003 Rise 06:02 Set 17:34
01/10/2003 Rise 05:28 Set 17:48
01/11/2003 Rise 04:57 Set 18:06
01/12/2003 Rise 04:45 Set 18:29
01/01/2004 Rise 04:56 Set 18:46
01/02/2004 Rise 05:20 Set 18:43
01/03/2004 Rise 05:41 Set 18:20
01/04/2004 Rise 05:58 Set 17:46
01/05/2004 Rise 06:14 Set 17:17
01/06/2004 Rise 06:30 Set 17:01

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shecha
Cheers guys for all your replies. I've let hubby know so that he can start getting used to the idea of waking up early and going to bed early!!

It's just seems to be a matter of altering your sleeping times, so instead of going to bed at 11.00 pm and waking up at 7.00 am, we'll get up at 5.00 am and go to bed at 9.00 pm.

Sorted!!!!

Thanks again

Shell
Thats easier said than done! I still can't sleep before midnight, and if I get up at 5 I'm a waste of space for the first 2 hours (some might say for most of the day!!)
Being a nightowl is hard work here
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:56 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats easier said than done! I still can't sleep before midnight, and if I get up at 5 I'm a waste of space for the first 2 hours (some might say for most of the day!!)
Being a nightowl is hard work here
If you are on for a bit of Larking about, stay up all one night and sleep early the next. Rather than trying to push back the start of sleep, push forward.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shecha
Hello everyone,

My hubby keeps on at me to ask what time it gets dark in the summer in Brisbane??

We were in Brisbane in June - so we know what time it gets dark in the winter, but he's been told it's dark by 6pm in the summer and he can't get his head round that!!!
http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/geodesy/astro/ gives sunrise and sunset times.

Part of the problem is that Queensland doesn't operate daylight saving time, and they haven't decided to create a separate time zone for Brisbane, hence summer daylight there is heavily skewed towards the morning.

One way to get around this is to implement your own personal 'daylight savings time' by getting up earlier but for this to really work you need your employer to co-operate by letting you start and finish earlier.

Jeremy
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:12 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/geodesy/astro/ gives sunrise and sunset times.

Part of the problem is that Queensland doesn't operate daylight saving time, and they haven't decided to create a separate time zone for Brisbane, hence summer daylight there is heavily skewed towards the morning.

One way to get around this is to implement your own personal 'daylight savings time' by getting up earlier but for this to really work you need your employer to co-operate by letting you start and finish earlier.

Jeremy
Easier said than done, I know. Really ticks me off that we haven't got it.The trouble is you still need to get everyone else on the same wavelength. Qld tried daylight saving once, found the farmers didn't like it, so the Nationals enshrined it in law that it needs a referendum to change it. How many referendums have been passed? So Qld is out of sink with rest of east coast.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:46 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah, but you're off to the Apple Isle you lucky gits!!!! Get some decent evenings down there with sunsets at a "proper" time
YEEEEEEHAAAH cant wait now so excited its all becoming real
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Easier said than done, I know. Really ticks me off that we haven't got it.The trouble is you still need to get everyone else on the same wavelength. Qld tried daylight saving once, found the farmers didn't like it, so the Nationals enshrined it in law that it needs a referendum to change it. How many referendums have been passed? So Qld is out of sink with rest of east coast.
Forget the idea of getting the whole state to change - the easiest fix would be to have a separate time zone for Brisbane and SE QLD.

The problem in Brisbane is that you're further east than the rest of the state so get daylight even earlier.

There is no reason for the whole state to have the same time zone - many US states and Canadian provinces are split. http://www.worldtimezone.com has information.

Even NSW has more than one time zone, in the Broken Hill area in the west the clocks are on the same time as South Australia.

If enough people in Brisbane demand a separate time zone, they will get one.

Jeremy
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:00 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ

If enough people in Brisbane demand a separate time zone, they will get one.

Jeremy

Hopefully - would make the tennis easier to follow if nothing else