British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What are the things that... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-things-672698/)

oxford_lad Jun 16th 2010 12:06 pm

What are the things that...

What are the things that you find the hardest / most expensive thing to get a hold of in Australia??

BadgeIsBack Jun 16th 2010 12:17 pm

Re: What are the things that...

Originally Posted by oxford_lad (Post 8636420)
What are the things that you find the hardest / most expensive thing to get a hold of in Australia??

Books.
Shirts with decent collars.
Mountain/hiking gear.

All available but marked up.

MailOrder is the go.

Geelong Gent Jun 16th 2010 1:25 pm

Talent:(

oxford_lad Jun 16th 2010 1:25 pm

In what areas though??

Sally Simpson Jun 16th 2010 1:42 pm

Books!

Quality clothing.
Are clothes still manufactured outside of China?:confused:;):lol:

Sherlock Holmes Jun 16th 2010 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by oxford_lad (Post 8636592)
In what areas though??

Clothes are awful. (Sorry Oz but they are). So are shoes. I get mine mail order from England. Apart from jeans which I get at Vic Market.

jothefw Jun 16th 2010 10:27 pm

Good quality but not expensive childrens shoes .... but got used to everything else!

(To all the book complaints with which I agree - What's wrong with your local libraries guys????)

Sally Simpson Jun 16th 2010 11:11 pm

Actually went to the library on Tuesday.
Sometimes there are books which are just lovely to own. I use Book Depository though when I want to buy something.

Sherlock Holmes Jun 17th 2010 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 8637727)
Actually went to the library on Tuesday.
Sometimes there are books which are just lovely to own. I use Book Depository though when I want to buy something.

Our Library has regular sales of books as they replace / renew the stock. Hardback $1.00, paperback 50c. Anyone else got a library this good?

Book Depository is really very good, Amazon UK has some good deals as well.

Rosscarbery Jun 17th 2010 3:02 am

Books and shoes. Books easily sorted by Book Depository but still having trouble with shoes - not everyone will ship to Oz.

paddyo Jun 17th 2010 3:46 am

Decent clothes...this place makes George @ Asda seem like a top end fashion house...really!!!!

PeterYork Jun 17th 2010 6:43 am

English - style crumbly cheese - cheshire wensleydale etc. It is possible to find but not widely available.

Pint of (warm!) real ale. Impossible to get in aus as far as I know. You can get the bottles of black sheep/london pride imported (and v expensive) but not the same as the real from the cask stuff you find in UK pubs!

Bisto gravy (sad I know).

Rod-Helen-Poppy Jun 17th 2010 7:04 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8638029)
Decent clothes...this place makes George @ Asda seem like a top end fashion house...really!!!!

i take it if you want nice labels - Prada for example - you pay through the nose for them in OZ :(

can i buy them in the UK online and get them sent over or will i get stuffed for tax/duty :confused:

oxford_lad Jun 17th 2010 7:35 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8638029)

Please don't tell me clothes are that bad in Oz, I like my clothes.....

littda01 Jun 17th 2010 9:11 am

Well, compared to the US, the UK clothes shopping experience is a living hell, so I'm getting worried about what Australia will be like :-)

Not too fussy about latest fashions, but just want to be able to find clothes easily at a fair price...