Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the temperature of the sea in Perth?

What is the temperature of the sea in Perth?

Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default What is the temperature of the sea in Perth?

Just curious......I presume it is a cold ocean because of the current coming up from the South Pole....but am I correct?

What is swimming like in summer?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

MARKNJO has a brilliant futureMARKNJO has a brilliant futureMARKNJO has a brilliant futureMARKNJO has a brilliant futureMARKNJO has a brilliant futureMARKNJO has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the temperature of the sea in Perth?

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Just curious......I presume it is a cold ocean because of the current coming up from the South Pole....but am I correct?

out of this world
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Alan- will become famous soon enough

You find them all here:

http://www.livingin-australia.com/se...-australia.htm

HTH's

Alan.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:01 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised by how cold the water was when I first arrived. However when it is late 30 degrees a dip in much cooler water is lovely.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:37 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The current comes from the north, not the south.

"The Leeuwin Current is a warm-water current of tropical origin that flows southwards down the Western Australian coast, most strongly in autumn and winter, which maintains much higher sea temperatures off our coast than occur off the west coasts of Southern Africa and South America."

See

http://www.rottnestisland.com/en/Edu...in+Current.htm

"...Because of the Leeuwin Current, the continental shelf waters of Western Australia are warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the corresponding regions off the other continents."

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeuwin_Current

Last edited by renth; Jun 19th 2007 at 11:39 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa_seatemp.asp
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:50 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

It is meant to drop to 18C, but from the divers I have spoke to, it never dropped below 20c last year.

that means you will need a 5mm wetsuit or semi-dry for diving.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
It is meant to drop to 18C, but from the divers I have spoke to, it never dropped below 20c last year.

that means you will need a 5mm wetsuit or semi-dry for diving.
That's not true, I dived in 18 degree water last year at the Ammo Jetty, I got hypothermia.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:48 am

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
That's not true, I dived in 18 degree water last year at the Ammo Jetty, I got hypothermia.
I can only go by what UEA say
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:31 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

I personally find it very cold, it is one of the things I have been surprised by, I guess I was expecting it to be like a warm bath, it isnt sadly, nice to swim in, but not that lovely warm sea you get in places like Dubai et al.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

I can only go by what UEA say
University of East Anglia or do you mean my workplace, UWA?

I used to make that mistake all the time when I first got the job here.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:13 am

I meant Underwater Explorers of Western Australia, a very large dive club base in Perth.

www.diveoz.com.au might help too
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:24 am
(It's not my real name)

I meant Underwater Explorers of Western Australia, a very large dive club base in Perth.

www.diveoz.com.au might help too
OK, cool, I have heard of them. I'm with the SCUBA2 club.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by renth
OK, cool, I have heard of them. I'm with the SCUBA2 club.
o, tell me more as I'm still looking for a club when I get there. I'm a PADI Rescue Diver with EANx and Ice (although I dont suppose I'll be using my ice diving quals much).

Are you north or south, we're heading for Secrect Harbour.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:38 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I was surprised by how cold the water was when I first arrived.
Me too !

When we we're in Perth on our visa validation trip we got to the beach and I gamboled up to the beautiful turquoise water like an over-enthusiatic puppy - only to help and jump back when the freezing water touched my feet

That was right at the start of January. I think I may be a wussy and get myself a short wet suit when we arrive for good ...

Gina