Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What tax will I pay?

What tax will I pay?

Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of
Default What tax will I pay?

We are moving to Brisbane this year, we are selling our house in the UK and renting in Oz. We are unsure of the amount of money we will have to transfer over to an Australian bank account.
Can anyone help on the procedure, when should the transfer take place i.e before we arrive or after we arrive in Oz?
We have no idea what tax we have to pay, if any at all?
Any help outhere???
Kindest regards
Janex
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What tax will I pay?

Originally Posted by WILKINSONS
We are moving to Brisbane this year, we are selling our house in the UK and renting in Oz. We are unsure of the amount of money we will have to transfer over to an Australian bank account.
Can anyone help on the procedure, when should the transfer take place i.e before we arrive or after we arrive in Oz?
We have no idea what tax we have to pay, if any at all?
What kind of tax are you talking about? And you don't "have" to transfer the funds unless you really want to. Australia has free movement of capital.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of

Tax on our savings. Obviously the amount of money we transfer will evenually be used as a deposit on a house. I had read that we will be taxed on the amount of money we take into Oz?
What type of account would you place your savings in for a 6 month period until we decide to buy in Brisbane?
Any help appreciated and thanks for the reply. Janex
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Tax on our savings. Obviously the amount of money we transfer will evenually be used as a deposit on a house. I had read that we will be taxed on the amount of money we take into Oz?
What type of account would you place your savings in for a 6 month period until we decide to buy in Brisbane?

There is no tax on the money you bring from your house sale.

Any interest it earns in the bank may be subject to tax, (it's not like the UK where the bank take it out monthly)

I opened an account with www.ingdirect.com.au It's linked to my normal account with ANZ and I can transfer money in and out when I want through internet banking.

When it's time for tax returns etc I'm going to employ an accountant. There are some about that will charge you less than $100 to do them for you and their fee is tax deductable in your next return.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

you only pay tax on money that you earn, not money that you own.

for a savings a/c try here:

http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/acco...ioussaver.html

also:

http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/TeleNet_Saver/index.asp

Last edited by ianandhelena; Apr 1st 2007 at 12:03 am. Reason: more info
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
you only pay tax on money that you earn, not money that you own.

for a savings a/c try here:

http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/acco...ioussaver.html

also:

http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/TeleNet_Saver/index.asp
Thank you everyone for the advice/information. I understand now. It can simply be a little confusing when you have never done this before.

Kindest Regards
Janex