Reload this Page >

What to take in OZ

What to take in OZ

Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

natsind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to take in OZ

Hi,

Today my friend told me that, i cant take grocery items like indian pulses, masala etc. He also told me that i cant take indian snacks in loose packing (home made and without company printed packing). I just want to confirm that, is he correct? He also gave me a website address for check but i forgot. Please give me any website to check what i can take and what cant?

Thanks
Nitu
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:30 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take in OZ

You should be able to buy most of that here. Brisbane, with a very small Indian population, has a few very good Indian owned grocery stores. Cities like Sydney and Melbourne will be even better served.

Be very careful what food you bring in. You cannot even take fresh fruit across state borders in Australia.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natsind
Hi,

Today my friend told me that, i cant take grocery items like indian pulses, masala etc. He also told me that i cant take indian snacks in loose packing (home made and without company printed packing). I just want to confirm that, is he correct? He also gave me a website address for check but i forgot. Please give me any website to check what i can take and what cant?

Thanks
Nitu
I think your friend was referring to the AQIS website. http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis

Like JayR says, you should be able to find everything you need here. There are thriving Indian communities in all the larger centres where you can find a variety of spices. Where are you planning to move?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think your friend was referring to the AQIS website. http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis

Like JayR says, you should be able to find everything you need here. There are thriving Indian communities in all the larger centres where you can find a variety of spices. Where are you planning to move?
Lots of foods are a big NO NO...be very careful what you bring in, and if you do decide to bring food stuff you MUST declare it all at customes!!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jayr, Dorothy, sj oldfield,

Thanks a lot for your valuable details.

You are right that, most indian items is available there but i think it will be costly then local prices so it will be better that i will take while moving to OZ.

Dorothy, i am planning to move regional WA. If you can suggest me any good city except perth for moving than i will be very greatful to you. I want to move to that city/town where i can found initially any job easily, low prices, and some entertainment. I am Refrigeration & A/C Mechanic so it will be good for me to move there where it is in demand.

sj oldfield i will declare every tiny thing at customs. Thanks for your advice.

Nitu
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont bring any food in to be honest as most of its banned, when they scan your luggage they will see it and open it up. If its not been declared on the little forms they give you then you will be fined, if it is declared they will proberbly confiscate it and throw it away anyway if its on the banned list.

I wouldnt risk it, if it was me
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jayr, Dorothy, sj oldfield,

Thanks a lot for your valuable details.

You are right that, most indian items is available there but i think it will be costly then local prices so it will be better that i will take while moving to OZ.

Dorothy, i am planning to move regional WA. If you can suggest me any good city except perth for moving than i will be very greatful to you. I want to move to that city/town where i can found initially any job easily, low prices, and some entertainment. I am Refrigeration & A/C Mechanic so it will be good for me to move there where it is in demand.

sj oldfield i will declare every tiny thing at customs. Thanks for your advice.

Nitu
I would suggest Geraldton or Bunbury or Albany. Geraldton is up north about 4 hours from Perth and has lots to offer. It's supposed to be a very nice place and a good city for an immigrant to get a start. Bunbury is just south of Perth by a couple of hours and again is very nice. Albany is on the southern coast of the state and my husband keeps saying he would like to live there when we retire. It's a little cooler weatherwise in Albany, but that's ok. If you're looking for a little adventure and you're single why not give Kalgoorlie a go? It's a desert mining town in the centre of the state

Take a look at www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au for jobs in your field in WA. See what comes up in the regional areas.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

thanks dave & dorothy,

dave i wish to bring snacks only not ready to eat food or food like items just snacks for breakfast. so will i be fined for that? pls. advice.

dorothy, thanks once again. i think albany will be better for me. i am too agree with your husband. Kalgoorlie is good place but i think i will not able to get any entertainment & good activities there.

thanks
nitu
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:44 am
Still alive

thanks dave & dorothy,

dave i wish to bring snacks only not ready to eat food or food like items just snacks for breakfast. so will i be fined for that? pls. advice.

dorothy, thanks once again. i think albany will be better for me. i am too agree with your husband. Kalgoorlie is good place but i think i will not able to get any entertainment & good activities there.

thanks
nitu
Yes, you will be obliged to declare anything that goes in your mouth. AQIS deems anything you eat, whether you consider it food or not, to be food. Most things are ok, but anything with seeds, nuts or animal products of any kind will be confiscated and destroyed. That includes most spices (since they are usually made with seeds). You really are better to buy your things over here. Albany isn't too far from Perth that you couldn't come up once every couple of months to stock up on your spices and other supplies.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you will be obliged to declare anything that goes in your mouth. AQIS deems anything you eat, whether you consider it food or not, to be food. Most things are ok, but anything with seeds, nuts or animal products of any kind will be confiscated and destroyed. That includes most spices (since they are usually made with seeds). You really are better to buy your things over here. Albany isn't too far from Perth that you couldn't come up once every couple of months to stock up on your spices and other supplies.
This place (where I get all my stuff from) does mail order.

http://www.primeproducts.com.au/
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:06 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by northernbird
This place (where I get all my stuff from) does mail order.

http://www.primeproducts.com.au/
I'm heading off to Canada next week. Anything you want me to bring you back? Some Timbits perhaps?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm heading off to Canada next week. Anything you want me to bring you back? Some Timbits perhaps?
Yeah I got your message, sorry I haven't replied yet. I doubt they would be very fresh by the time you got them back here and not exactly good for my band either lol. However I wouldn't mind ( and I could cut it into small bits for rationing!) a couple of coffee crisps and some oh henrys and some knickers and some petit length jeans and and and and and............
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

Why would u want 2 bring indian snacks in loose home made packages into Australia? ..MY GOd!!!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

: Kalgoorlie is good place but i think i will not able to get any entertainment & good activities there.
nitu
Oh, believe me nitu, I'm told there is PLENTY of entertainment in Kalgoorlie - mainly along the lines of bars and brothels

Seriously, if in doubt DON'T bring anything in or at least read the guidelines and decide what is persmissable to bring in - and if you do declare it immediately. There is a TV programme here called 'Border Patrol' which always shows people getting caught, having their foodstuffs destroyed and then given a fine also.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

thanks dave & dorothy,

thanks
nitu
Are you shipping furniture etc? As you will not realistically be able to take anything through customs on arrival - they literally confiscate everything - we put quite a few things we wanted in with the shipping stuff. It all arrived with everything else about 3 months later and, as much as I thought I would really, really need it, I didn't!
You can get everything if you look and it won't probably be much more expensive anyway
The other thing is if you are relocating and are taking a few bits they will run out soon enough - embrace the changes from the start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.