Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Supermarket

View Poll Results: What supermarket do you all use?
Coles
43.90%
Woolworths
56.10%
Franklins
2.44%
Bi Lo
2.44%
Aldi
2.44%
IGA
4.88%
Other
9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

What Supermarket

Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What Supermarket

What supermarket do all of you use?

We have been a Coles household because of proximity although Woolworths has just opened in the new Bondi Junction Westfields. Bondi Beach also has some good delis, butchers and grocers who make up for what Coles is lacking in.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Usually Coles for my weekly shop, but I also pop down to Woolworths every so often as they have better fresh food & there are some things that Coles dont have. So I voted for both .
I wouldnt go to the others unless I was pretty desperate or just needed a couple of things eg eggs if I had run out & a pint of milk. :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:05 pm
WBB

you have aldi's in oz?

we have aldi's here and it is ok for certain thing's but you could not possibly do your main shopping there.

Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:08 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
you have aldi's in oz?

we have aldi's here and it is ok for certain thing's but you could not possibly do your main shopping there.
I did as a student but I get the shivers when I think of the crap I ate. 20 burgers for 80p:scared: .

There are Aldis around and they are expanding but I have not been to one yet.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

def Woolies, when lived there and on hols has been the best
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:40 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I often use 'Action' (see people, see action - sorry, it's off the tv advert!!!).

I have found it's slightly cheaper than the others but the same food.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

we will be using Woolworths as its just across the road from our house. This thread made me realsie that i have hardly been into one since we arrived here!! I am impressed at the food displays though outside shops etc.
We had a walk through Glenelg yesteray and bought a huge punnet of really tasty strawberries for $1!!!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Haven't got a lot of choice! IGA or nothing! Nearest Woolies and Coles is 5 hours drive away.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

In South Australia we also have lots of 'Foodland' stores run by Drake Foodmarkets. The smaller ones are really awful but the big moden superstores are on a par with Woolies.

My only experience of Coles is a medium sized store which is ok but you can't do your whole shop, and it's always sooo empty...
It's got a liqorland next door though

One thing that frustrates me here is having to go to a separate shop and quite often second location to buy your booze, why don't they sell it in supermarkets?

Mash

PS Before he says it, hubby does 90% of the shopping anyway!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:55 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We use either Coles or Woolworth depends on where abouts in town we need to go. I try and avoid the shopping if I can but as I passed the QLD driving test the other day the general barracking means I have to drive everyone around. My mum just passed hers this morning so I guess that's me off the hook then.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:41 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by cresta57
We use either Coles or Woolworth depends on where abouts in town we need to go. I try and avoid the shopping if I can but as I passed the QLD driving test the other day the general barracking means I have to drive everyone around. My mum just passed hers this morning so I guess that's me off the hook then.
Nice going Amy - first with the driving test AND first with a job. They'll never hear the end of it....!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:46 am

Originally posted by downunderpom
Nice going Amy - first with the driving test AND first with a job. They'll never hear the end of it....!
What supermarkets are there where you are building or is is it grubs for dinner?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Action usually because it's just up the road (walkable, but not in this heat with loads of carrier bags!) They have just opened a new Coles nearby too, which prompted Action to issue "rewards points" cards, similar to the Tesco scheme. If I'm nearer town I'll go into Woolworths. I still much prefer Tesco though, better laid out stores, much more variety. Those of you still living in the UK, don't moan about your local supermarket ever again, once you get here, you'll realise what you've lost!

I also think it's annoying having to go to a separate place to buy alcohol, although there are plenty of the drive-in types round here. I suppose with all the beer the blokes drink at bbq's, you wouldn't have enough room in the supermarket trolley to fit in the rest of the groceries. Does anybody else find the trollies here are smaller? I've got a bigger fridge and a large pantry so should be able to manage shopping once weekly, but can't get it all in the trolley without squashing the bread and cakes, so have to go twice. At Tesco you have a trolley with a separate section at the end which is great, nothing like that here, although they do have double trollies for toddlers and babies, and ones for wheelchairs.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:31 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
I still much prefer Tesco though, better laid out stores, much more variety. Those of you still living in the UK, don't moan about your local supermarket ever again, once you get here, you'll realise what you've lost!
Mmmmmm.....Tescos....

Long conveyor belt so you can empty your trolley in one go not in fits and starts

Pack your own bags at your own pace thus using less than 100 bags and being much quicker than the slow (witted) employee thus shorter queues

Wide checkouts so you don't risk your fingers evey time you go through a checkout with a trolley

Wide aisles so you can pass the slow, elderly and inconsiderate

Staff who not only know what they sell but where it is

Ready meals (other than La- bloody- sagne) that are nice and have variety so you don't need to cook every meal from scratch with a potato and a slab of meat

reward points that are worth more than 0.00000000000001 cent
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:23 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I was wondering if Tesco had any plans to expand into Oz, so I emailed them. This is their (rather short) response, which didn't answer my question:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Please accept my apologies as at present Tesco.com do not ship
internationally.

We would like to thank you for showing an interest in the services we supply

Kind Regards

(Name supplied)"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.