Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a Stupid Stupid Law

Wikiposts

What a Stupid Stupid Law

Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:16 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a Stupid Stupid Law

Originally Posted by The Murphsters

That is awful. A fine seems acceptable but that is disgusting.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:10 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: What a Stupid Stupid Law

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
My husband on his way to work this morning, came out of the train station and went to cross the road, not at the traffic lights, once across the other side he was stopped by a policeman and was told he did not cross the road 30 metres away from the traffic lights and fined him $50.

OH responded he was at least 30 metres away but the policeman said yes when you crossed the first part of the road but as you crossed at an angle the second was in the 30mtr radius.
OH tried to argue he did not know(which he didn't) and the police man said same applies in the UK OH said we don't have stupid laws like that.
(nearly got another fine)
The policeman said it is the law, and he was lucky it was not 2 weeks ago as it would have been $100 fine.

Is this just bloody stupid or what

So beware remember to take you tape measure out with you, or just cross at the traffic lights.
The cop was partly right; jaywalking is illegal in Northern Ireland, where it attracts a £30 fine.

Nevertheless, this incident is a classic case of a small-minded bully abusing the authority of his uniform. Absolutely disgusting, and totally unAustralian.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: What a Stupid Stupid Law

Originally Posted by paulrachel
They turned up once with my daughter in the police car. They arrested her for arguing with another girl.
Verbal assault is illegal. Depending on the severity of the case, it can be interpreted as affray, which is also illegal.

I told them to F right off, come back with evidence or shut the hell up.

They walked off quietly
You actually swore at them? You told them to "F right off" and "shut the hell up"? And they just "walked off quietly"?

Is it legal to verbally abuse the police?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

or look at it from another point of view...

your tootling along quite nicely in your car, silly pedestrian jumps out right infront fo you to corss the road, you hit ped., ped. tries to sue....

first question from lawyer - was ped. crossing at the traffic lights? - no! case closed!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YoSemite

your tootling along quite nicely in your car, silly pedestrian jumps out right infront fo you to corss the road, you hit ped., ped. tries to sue....

first question from lawyer - was ped. crossing at the traffic lights? - no! case closed!
What a stupid stupid law. I'd expect it in the USA, as they have no common sense over there, but in Oz. Well when I get there in April I best take my tape measure out with me. Oh dear, well, all I can say is this, if I get a fine for crossing the road 2cm too close to the traffic lights, I will tell the copper where to go.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
OH tried to argue he did not know(which he didn't) and the police man said same applies in the UK .
So Policeman is an expert in UK law as well. Never seen or heard of anyone in UK being fined for jaywalking? Amount of teenager/pensioner who on a daily basis walk right in front of cars in town market place I live near would say that this does not happen in UK.
But I'm sure lots of petty laws that can be used and abused if a Police Officer is feeling that way out just about everywhere in the world!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Oh for gods sake, havn't they got anything better to do than lurk around traffic lights and crossings
Sounds to me like the police force here are Bored...so pick on anything they call the law...
I know a policeman here...he said the OZ coppers are really aggresive compared to the UK ones.
They turned up once with my daughter in the police car. They arrested her for arguing with another girl. I told them to F right off, come back with evidence or shut the hell up.

They walked off quietly
I hope you waited until your daughter was inside the house before your use of such mature language
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:45 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I got pulled over by a policeman on a bike the other day. Three children in car on our way to swimming pool, we'd travelled through a school zone, not at 40k but at 60k.
Knowing I have cop behind me I am super careful not to do anything silly. I see him slow through the school zone (you're meant to go 40k on 'School days' between certain times) However, he flashes his lights.
I wind down my window and he starts ranting at me about how my driving could kill someone and didn't I see the 40 signs? Yes, of course I did, but it's not a school day. I point to the three children in the car and inform the guy it's school holidays and there ARE no children at school. He ignores this and tells me my driving is irresponsible and dangerous.

He then tells me at times he was following me I got up to 70 - An absolute blatant lie as my speedo never went above 60 and in fact was below for much of the time. 'Slow down before you kill someone, for Christ's sake' he yells at me.
At this point, after having a shitty time with three arguing children in the back of the car anyway, I got stroppy with him ... Told him if I'd gone 70 then he should prove it and I wanted to see his radar recording if that was true (he hadn't got one) and if it was true, I wanted his name, his number and I wanted a ticket for speeding so that I could take it to court to prove what a completely bogus stop this was.
At this point, I am in a bikini, arguing with a policeman on the Great Western Highway as car after car speeds past.

My lesson - Springwood police are tossers. His lesson? Never piss off an already pissed off mother. He says 'Just be careful' and drives off, no number, no speeding ticket, no nothing.
Complete and utter wanker who wanted to get his kicks by shouting at a woman.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...neprogram.html

'Public Holidays are not considered school days.'
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:55 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Unbelievable. The US Is a police state
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YoSemite

There was no cars hence the reason he crossed the road, he is a big boy and know hows to look left and right,and not walk out in front of cars.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My Dutch girlfriend reprimanded me for jaywalking once.

Of many countries I have lived in, the UK seems the one which comes to mind of being lax.

I hate missing the tram if the lights are against me and it's arrived on the other side. I once stopped traffic when a bunch of people all wanted to get on. Body language is key. Look like you are in authority and people believe it. Amazing!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
That is awful. A fine seems acceptable but that is disgusting.
Oh cmon though. All the bloke had to do was show some ID to a uniformed cop. Nobody is ever likely to believe the police and would rather take the stance that its police state brutality.

If I'm stopped by a cop then I do what I'm told. Its easier than bloody fighting.

Sure some cops are w*nkers but then so are some members of the general public and there are heaps of bogans without any respect for the law whatsoever.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003402,00.html

A BRITISH history professor has caused a stir in Atlanta, and back home in Britain, over his arrest this month after he tried to cross the road outside an Atlanta hotel where he was attending a conference.

Felipe Fernandez-Armesto has complained his arrest was a "violent assault."

According to a police report, officer Kevin Leonpacher, working off-duty for hotel security and wearing a jacket marked "Atlanta Police," blew his whistle for Fernandez-Armesto to stop crossing Courtland Street in central Atlanta on January 4 and directed him to a crossing.

The historian ignored Mr Leonpacher who then asked "as many as ten times" for Mr Fernandez-Armesto's identification. When he refused and instead demanded Mr Leonpacher's identification, the officer made an arrest, the report said.

"I asked him to put his hands behind his back so that he could be handcuffed .... He pulled away and began to wrestle with me. After about a minute I was able to wrestle him to the ground ... as I called for backup," the report said.

Mr Fernandez-Armesto said he was not aware it was an offense to cross the street at that point.

"I was an absolutely innocent person. I am very sorry to have crossed the road when I shouldn't have and to have failed to recognise he was a police officer but I cannot find anything I did as not the normal behavior of an honest person," he said.

Mr Fernandez-Armesto was detained for eight hours before being taken before a judge who dismissed a charge of disorderly conduct.

The case might have ended there. But in an opinion piece in the Atlanta Journal Constitution last week, the historian said being "assaulted by the police and locked up for hours in the company of some of the ... dregs of the American underclass" had taught him something new about the country.

"No one truly knows a nation until one has been inside its jails," he said, quoting former South African President Nelson Mandela, although he added he was well treated by staff at the jail and by the judge.

Subsequent comment in the newspaper and on the city's talk- radio shows was largely unfavorable to the historian.

One letter called him an "arrogant Englishman," although the newspaper said in an editorial the incident had "bruised Atlanta's reputation as a ... city known for Southern hospitality."
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Verbal assault is illegal. Depending on the severity of the case, it can be interpreted as affray, which is also illegal.

You actually swore at them? You told them to "F right off" and "shut the hell up"? And they just "walked off quietly"?

Is it legal to verbally abuse the police?
I don't know the law...they never said anything to me except calm down.
Accusations were thrown around, they need to be careful too as no prove of the situation had been discussed, slander and all that is also a crime.
Nothing came of it as there was nothing to sort out, just teenagers falling out. They knew that. So they walked away once we had calmed down. So i guess some police are nice really..
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:41 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nevertheless, this incident is a classic case of a small-minded bully abusing the authority of his uniform. Absolutely disgusting, and totally unAustralian.
How is that unAustralian? It is all very Australian if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.