Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a Stupid Stupid Law

What a Stupid Stupid Law

Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold
Default What a Stupid Stupid Law

My husband on his way to work this morning, came out of the train station and went to cross the road, not at the traffic lights, once across the other side he was stopped by a policeman and was told he did not cross the road 30 metres away from the traffic lights and fined him $50.

OH responded he was at least 30 metres away but the policeman said yes when you crossed the first part of the road but as you crossed at an angle the second was in the 30mtr radius.
OH tried to argue he did not know(which he didn't) and the police man said same applies in the UK OH said we don't have stupid laws like that.
(nearly got another fine)
The policeman said it is the law, and he was lucky it was not 2 weeks ago as it would have been $100 fine.

Is this just bloody stupid or what

So beware remember to take you tape measure out with you, or just cross at the traffic lights.

Last edited by Sue; Jan 19th 2007 at 3:05 pm. Reason: Moved from MBTTUK forum
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a Stupid Stupid Law

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
My husband on his way to work this morning, came out of the train station and went to cross the road, not at the traffic lights, once across the other side he was stopped by a policeman and was told he did not cross the road 30 metres away from the traffic lights and fined him $50.

OH responded he was at least 30 metres away but the policeman said yes when you crossed the first part of the road but as you crossed at an angle the second was in the 30mtr radius.
OH tried to argue he did not know(which he didn't) and the police man said same applies in the UK OH said we don't have stupid laws like that.
The policeman said it is the law, and he was lucky it was not 2 weeks ago as it would have been $100 fine.

So beware remember to take you tape measure out with you, or just cross at the traffic lights.
whilst I agree it is a bit daft the laws against jaywalking are for the pedestrians own safety.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

How pathetic. Typical.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEGREATIDIOT
How pathetic. Typical.
Jaywalking is illegal in lots of other countries other than australia, the UK is very unique in that regard.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
Jaywalking is illegal in lots of other countries other than australia, the UK is very unique in that regard.
It's just absurd, though, isn't it? I myself have been capable of crossing the road since I was about 12. It's very simple - you don't go when then there's something coming.
It's just another example of nannying. Or desperate revenue raising.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Could have been worse. Sadistic plod could have conveyed him to a sound proof booth, strapped him to a chair and exposed him to non-stop Jimmy Young/Tony Blackburn renditions! As in cruel and unusual punishement.
$50? Cheap at the price...
When in Rome and all that...
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

I still think it is a stupid law,
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:47 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

I still think it is a stupid law,
Completely agree with you, and anyway what's wrong with just telling your hubby this time and letting him go on his way I am sure the copper could tell he was English, stupid jobsworth.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:33 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Sandra what a complete nonsense. I'm sorry, but in this day and age - there are so many murders, terrorists, muggings and rapes and your poor husband gets done for crossing a bloody road. For goodness sakes it's about time these idiot police focused on real criminals. Obviously they are short on funds hey?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh for gods sake, havn't they got anything better to do than lurk around traffic lights and crossings
Sounds to me like the police force here are Bored...so pick on anything they call the law...
I know a policeman here...he said the OZ coppers are really aggresive compared to the UK ones.
They turned up once with my daughter in the police car. They arrested her for arguing with another girl. I told them to F right off, come back with evidence or shut the hell up.

They walked off quietly
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

sandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to allsandrareay is a name known to all

I find myself in a similar situation in New York. I only came here to marry my US husband (i.e. not for a better standard of living) and we are saving up as much as we can to get out of here and back to the UK. Setting your foot on a blade of grass here gets you a massive fine. Everything is against the law and the police are so nasty. People say here that they put their life on the line for us every day, but so do our police force in UK and they treat us like humans. I sympathise with your husband, it must have been very fustrating.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:05 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know I've moved this to the Australian Lifestyle forum as it's really not about Moving back to the UK and so is more suitable in the other forum.

I understand your vent though, we all come across what we think are silly laws and sometimes it seems so much more frustrating when we are in our adopted countries because we haven't grown up with the laws and the more silly ones take us by surprise.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:09 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrareay
but so do our police force in UK and they treat us like humans. .
matter for debate here methinks ......

T
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:10 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think jaywalking laws are very sensible and as already mentioned lots of countries have them.
I have just collected my kids from school. There are hoards of teenagers spilling off the pavement and into the road. It's a real bugbear of mine.
I understand it may be a bit frustrating if you're not used to it but the law is there for a good reason.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:11 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

It could of been worse dude...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2144049.ece

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.