British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   what sort of salary needed to live in Perth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-sort-salary-needed-live-perth-517588/)

NKSK version 2 Feb 28th 2008 4:42 am

Re: what sort of salary needed to live in Perth?

Originally Posted by pajones (Post 5992943)
There are of course those who earn far more money than they are worth:p

Now there's an interesting debate!

Catch Feb 28th 2008 8:39 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 5992681)
This isnt meant to come across rudely, but how did you manage to get PR ? It would seem bizzare that they would let a family migrate here to end up only earning $45K and put a burdon on society by having to subsidise them. I thought this was one of the key things they were trying to avoid.

look here matey a lot of migrants start on low income as i did myself,it took me a year to do my licences,most of my mates had to start on similiar incomes.I recieved centre link to help out my family until the wife could find work to fit round school times.The australian government helps out working families same as the uk,We dont recieve centrelink now as our earnings increased.WE NEVER felt a burden on the australian government.Australia requires people from all backgrounds to grow as a country, not just highly paid proffessionals.THANKYOU

travelbug Feb 28th 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 5993598)
look here matey a lot of migrants start on low income as i did myself,it took me a year to do my licences,most of my mates had to start on similiar incomes.I recieved centre link to help out my family until the wife could find work to fit round school times.The australian government helps out working families same as the uk,We dont recieve centrelink now as our earnings increased.WE NEVER felt a burden on the australian government.Australia requires people from all backgrounds to grow as a country, not just highly paid proffessionals.THANKYOU

I agree, my partner's job is in demand - however we have been given a quote today from one company for just $22 an hour wages....that works out to less than $45k a year wages.... The Australian government in my opinion is not bothered about what you earn once you're here - as long as you're filling the gaps in their workforce wherever required! Luckily for us - if we have to take this kind of wage we will not need a huge mortgage - but even so it's a bit of a shock to find out he would be earning less than half of what he did in the UK per hour....

The S's Feb 28th 2008 9:34 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 5992990)
Now there's an interesting debate!

ISN'T $45k the average wage here in Australia?
Its not a huge amount of money but many live on it. This forum has a great way of making people feel like they are just gutter rats living on handouts.
If I lost $45k running for the bus I would realise I was a complete twat with a lot of loose change.

Sean

Mumfords Feb 28th 2008 9:36 am

whatever you do dont compare $'s to £'s its not the same, insurance for example is cheaper than the UK

Shopping is the same (saying that I have had 2 weeks off $160 bucks when usally $200!!!)

Electric Gas seem to be cheaper, fuel is but you tend to drive bigger cars and longer distance,

I think piss is not that cheap,

But remember you earn and spend in dollars not pounds

You need approx a $1000 per week to be okay $800 may be doable (dont leave much Spare )we both work me as a full time mum & part time Cleaner and OH 1st Class machinist

EvannTel Feb 28th 2008 9:37 am

$22/hour sounds very low for a plumber!

Anyway when we over here last March, there was an item we heard on the radio where some study or other said the "average" family in Perth need a total income of $114k.

I tend to agree with the majority on here that $45k for 4 isnt enough. I'm sure you've done this but work out disposable income (after tax and benefits) then look at rents (mortgages), utility costs, food cost etc and decide for yourselves.

I think most on here feel cost of living here is about same as UK so.....

BertieB Feb 28th 2008 9:40 am

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5993774)
I agree, my partner's job is in demand - however we have been given a quote today from one company for just $22 an hour wages....:eek: that works out to less than $45k a year wages.... The Australian government in my opinion is not bothered about what you earn once you're here - as long as you're filling the gaps in their workforce wherever required! Luckily for us - if we have to take this kind of wage we will not need a huge mortgage - but even so it's a bit of a shock to find out he would be earning less than half of what he did in the UK per hour....

with both of you guys on this one. We've been here 5 months and OH finally got a job 6 weeks ago earning less than 45K. The job isn't in the skill that he was assessed in but as we live in a coastal town there isn't much demand for it. He's taken this job in order that he can support his family. We're managing fine and fortunately for him he's enjoying the career change. Didn't come here for $$$$ but the lifestyle. You don't necessarily need to earn lots of money to enjoy your life here and get by. It's what you make of it. :thumbsup:

Mumfords Feb 28th 2008 9:45 am

Originally Posted by BertieB (Post 5993845)
with both of you guys on this one. We've been here 5 months and OH finally got a job 6 weeks ago earning less than 45K. The job isn't in the skill that he was assessed in but as we live in a coastal town there isn't much demand for it. He's taken this job in order that he can support his family. We're managing fine and fortunately for him he's enjoying the career change. Didn't come here for $$$$ but the lifestyle. You don't necessarily need to earn lots of money to enjoy your life here and get by. It's what you make of it. :thumbsup:

Well said ....not everyone is in it for the money.

mandyp Feb 28th 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by BertieB (Post 5993845)

Hi,

For what it's worth, we are over on a student visa, there are four of us, kiddiewinks are not school age so don't have they costs thank goodnes, but we are entitled to no help at all. This we knew and are fine with, point I wanted to make, we have a v tight budget, living in the Gold Coast, not Perth, so not sure how that compares. We are loving our life over here and really don't have any 'spare' cash at the end of the week, but have a nice rental, food on the table n an amasing lifestyle, you live your life according to the money that you have!!

Cheers
Mandy

BertieB Feb 28th 2008 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mandyp (Post 5993904)
Hi,

For what it's worth, we are over on a student visa, there are four of us, kiddiewinks are not school age so don't have they costs thank goodnes, but we are entitled to no help at all. This we knew and are fine with, point I wanted to make, we have a v tight budget, living in the Gold Coast, not Perth, so not sure how that compares. We are loving our life over here and really don't have any 'spare' cash at the end of the week, but have a nice rental, food on the table n an amasing lifestyle, you live your life according to the money that you have!!

Cheers
Mandy

:thumbsup::thumbsup: - some people get hung up on money sometimes eh!

this charming man Feb 28th 2008 10:07 am

If you had $45,000 in change,in your pocket and you were running for anything youd have my ultimate respect.

Hodges Feb 28th 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded, it wil be worth waiting for a job offer with better money, we have a school age and pre school child. so i would not be able to work much and then there is child care costs.

The problem is we are desperate to get there but even though i hold 4 diplomas which are good enough for my job in this country. They are only classed as NVQ level 3 so wont pass Vetasses. My other half is highly skilled but does not have a degree so he cant apply either so we are left with employer sponsorship only, hence trying to find a company willing to sponsor us and pay a decent wage!!!

Sorry to moan, just cant see a feasable way at the moment.........

Michelle:(

steve99 Feb 28th 2008 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by pajones (Post 5992937)
I won't take offence! But I am a Plumber (hence my skill to get into the country) and when I arrived I took a job in reticulation which only paid $40K per annum, I didn't say that I was earning that now. But it doesn't matter who you are or what you earn, anyone is eligible to receive family assistance (its the same as child benefit/child tax credits in the UK). The amount you receive is dependant upon your income, but even top earners will be eligible for something. I don't consider myself a burden to society, this is only money that ANY family with children is entitled to.

Sorry guys, like I said I wasnt trying to be rude, on reflection I could of worded my response a bit more tactfully, I didnt review what id said before hitting submit as I had a call come through.

I think I was just extremely suprised that with most people migrating here through some sort of skill (be it manual, professional or however you want to classify it) that you could end up being forced into having to work for this low a salary.
I couldnt think of anyone id come across that would be considered skilled that would be earning this sort of money.
The plumber I use probably works more hours than anyone I know (ex Pom) starts at 7am and probably does a 10hr day, if I want him I generally get squeezed in at about 10days notice and I know he's sometimes reluctant to take on extra work as he's already got so much in the pipeline, I get a deal off him as ive used him a fair bit and his rate to me is $66hr. Based on a 48week year and say 45hrs a week (2160hrs) he would be on about $140K plus anything he makes on parts, plus the way he would structure his expenses etc he's probably earning $200K.
I know Perths been booming for a while and demand for tradies is high, but it seems a huge gulf between some of the numbers being quoted on here. Same scenario when ive used Tilers, Electricians, Plasterers etc.

Hodges Feb 28th 2008 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by mandyp (Post 5993904)
Hi,

Cheers
Mandy

Mandy, what sort of student visa is it, that could be an option for me? Where is the best place to find out about this. PM me if you can as keen to know more.

Thanks
Michelle

pajones Feb 28th 2008 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 5994369)
Sorry guys, like I said I wasnt trying to be rude, on reflection I could of worded my response a bit more tactfully, I didnt review what id said before hitting submit as I had a call come through.

I think I was just extremely suprised that with most people migrating here through some sort of skill (be it manual, professional or however you want to classify it) that you could end up being forced into having to work for this low a salary.
I couldnt think of anyone id come across that would be considered skilled that would be earning this sort of money.
The plumber I use probably works more hours than anyone I know (ex Pom) starts at 7am and probably does a 10hr day, if I want him I generally get squeezed in at about 10days notice and I know he's sometimes reluctant to take on extra work as he's already got so much in the pipeline, I get a deal off him as ive used him a fair bit and his rate to me is $66hr. Based on a 48week year and say 45hrs a week (2160hrs) he would be on about $140K plus anything he makes on parts, plus the way he would structure his expenses etc he's probably earning $200K.
I know Perths been booming for a while and demand for tradies is high, but it seems a huge gulf between some of the numbers being quoted on here. Same scenario when ive used Tilers, Electricians, Plasterers etc.

I don't want to get into a serious debate about this, because a) it doesn't have anything to do with the original thread and therefore doesn't help Hodges and b) It opens up a whole new can of worms! However, just to answer your query, when you come to Western Australia as a skilled Plumber, your only option initially is to work for someone else (that will be the person making the BIG money). If you are prepared to undertake a Curtin Uni Business Course (400 hours and very low pass rate) you could apply for your Contractors Licence. Then you can go and get your own jobs and charge what you like. Its a lot more difficult that many people think.:o