Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what sort of salary needed to live in Perth?

what sort of salary needed to live in Perth?

Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hodges is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what sort of salary needed to live in Perth?

Hi

I dont really know the cost of living in Perth, has anyone any idea what sort of salary needed to live okay out there? Is $AU 45000 good?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what sort of salary needed to live in Perth?

Originally Posted by Hodges
Hi

I dont really know the cost of living in Perth, has anyone any idea what sort of salary needed to live okay out there? Is $AU 45000 good?
Cant really say without more info, for example, Will you have to pay a morgage, how many people are trying to live on that amount? Will you need a car loan?
Tracie
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hodges is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we will be a family of 4, 2 young kids. We will have some money behind us and will be looking to rent for a couple of years to get to know the area. My OH has a possible job offer, less that UK salary but opportunity to get us over there, but obviously will still need to live
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Hi we will be a family of 4, 2 young kids. We will have some money behind us and will be looking to rent for a couple of years to get to know the area. My OH has a possible job offer, less that UK salary but opportunity to get us over there, but obviously will still need to live
will the whole family be living on that money? or will both be working? how old are kids?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:54 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Even with no mortgage you'll struggle big time on 45 grand.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

$45k is not enough for you and your family to live on. Although you will effectively pay no tax on that amount of income it would still be a struggle. I think the minimum household income required to live fairly comfortably in Australia is $80k.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Absolutely not. I think it would be a big mistake moving here on that.

I reckon Amazulu's right - a normal family of 4 with a mortgage or renting
would need $80K - otherwise you'd be having to watch every penny and it will make a stressful event (migration) unbearable (for me anyhow)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:30 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It depends on your lifestyle, whether you need a big mortgage or not but as others said I doubt you could live on that. After 2 years you would start to get the full package of govt benefits which would help. I think $80K is just about the minimum you need these days to be comfortable which is why the other spouse now works a lot more than in the past. At least childcare is easier to find here than the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

my thoughts exactly, although not worked there personally to know that's not enough, but just judging by what we earn now, and comparing it, you get the general idea of how much you will need
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

pajones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

$45000 is quite a low income. If you have Permanent Residency visas however, you will be entitled to 'Family Assistance' and 'Rent Assistance' as soon as you arrive. (Don't anyone argue with me on this one, I know its true because we have been claiming both since our arrival due to my low income). This does supplement whatever you are earning. If you are able to buy a vehicle outright and pay deposit on a rental from your savings, you will 'get by' on $45K.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:07 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pajones
$45000 is quite a low income. If you have Permanent Residency visas however, you will be entitled to 'Family Assistance' and 'Rent Assistance' as soon as you arrive. (Don't anyone argue with me on this one, I know its true because we have been claiming both since our arrival due to my low income). This does supplement whatever you are earning. If you are able to buy a vehicle outright and pay deposit on a rental from your savings, you will 'get by' on $45K.
This isnt meant to come across rudely, but how did you manage to get PR ? It would seem bizzare that they would let a family migrate here to end up only earning $45K and put a burdon on society by having to subsidise them. I thought this was one of the key things they were trying to avoid.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:10 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

$45,000? blimey youd lose that running for the bus.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
This isnt meant to come across rudely, but how did you manage to get PR ? It would seem bizzare that they would let a family migrate here to end up only earning $45K and put a burdon on society by having to subsidise them. I thought this was one of the key things they were trying to avoid.
I'm sure there are probably occupations on the MODL which are low paying. Skilled migration isn't means tested either.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve99
I won't take offence! But I am a Plumber (hence my skill to get into the country) and when I arrived I took a job in reticulation which only paid $40K per annum, I didn't say that I was earning that now. But it doesn't matter who you are or what you earn, anyone is eligible to receive family assistance (its the same as child benefit/child tax credits in the UK). The amount you receive is dependant upon your income, but even top earners will be eligible for something. I don't consider myself a burden to society, this is only money that ANY family with children is entitled to.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by this charming man
$45,000? blimey youd lose that running for the bus.
There are of course those who earn far more money than they are worth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.