Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What sort of salary needed to live in Melbourne or Brisbane?

What sort of salary needed to live in Melbourne or Brisbane?

Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

holmanj is just really niceholmanj is just really niceholmanj is just really niceholmanj is just really niceholmanj is just really niceholmanj is just really niceholmanj is just really niceholmanj is just really nice
Question What sort of salary needed to live in Melbourne or Brisbane?

My husband and I are looking to spend up to $600k on house with $ 200k deposit. We will both be working, and was wondering what sort of salary would be needed per annum and rough guide outgoings/childcare per month?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Marc & Jacs
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what sort of salary needed to live in melbourne of brisbane?

Originally Posted by holmanj
My husband and I are looking to spend up to $600k on house with $ 200k deposit. We will both be working, and was wondering what sort of salary would be needed per annum and rough guide outgoings/childcare per month?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Marc & Jacs

Thats about a $3800 a month mortage, use a mortage calculator to get exact payments, so pretty high income, remember $100,000 a year is only $1369 a week after tax.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:01 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your lifestyle but in Melbourne without going into a figure breakdown I would reckon with the size mortgage and if you have kids & childcare costs probably about $8k a month after tax minimum...
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Depends on your lifestyle but in Melbourne without going into a figure breakdown I would reckon with the size mortgage and if you have kids & childcare costs probably about $8k a month after tax minimum...

Well thats gonna freak a lotta people out - 8K a month after tax What sort of jobs offer that kind or salary, answer, very few!!! And if you are in a position to have one of them, you are very very lucky indeed!

I do agree though, for that size of mortgage even over 30yrs its gonna cost a lot per month!!

For a lot of jobs in Cairns, I know from what a lot of our friends say, the average wage BEFORE tax is 3 to 5K per month!! Obviously, dont know abt Melbourne, but I honestly cant see that it would be that different!

Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I don't think you're far off If I added $3K mortgage to our outgoings - it would put ours to nearly $7K a month and I only pay for 4 year old kinder and minimal school fees (books and excursions). And I wouldn't say we lead a frivolous lifestyle
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:06 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Well thats gonna freak a lotta people out - 8K a month after tax What sort of jobs offer that kind or salary, answer, very few!!! And if you are in a position to have one of them, you are very very lucky indeed!

I do agree though, for that size of mortgage even over 30yrs its gonna cost a lot per month!!

For a lot of jobs in Cairns, I know from what a lot of our friends say, the average wage BEFORE tax is 3 to 5K per month!! Obviously, dont know abt Melbourne, but I honestly cant see that it would be that different!

No alas we are not earning $8k a month-if only!!

I was just looking at the size of their potential mortgage ($3500 ish) and what they would spend on living for a family of 4 (?) each month, 2 cars & insurance costs, childcare costs (normally alot?!-even the doggy day care I have been looking at for when I start work is going to cost $960 per month for 3 days each week!!)

Our outgoings for couple with no kids $2600 per month (but thats with small home loan of only $650 per month) and only $300 "fun money" a month. We are quite stingy so if we are spending $3k a month with small home loan and only 2 people then big home loan, 4 people, childcare costs etc-is $8k so unreasonable a figure?

Of course they could do what we have done and buy somewhere alot cheaper than $600k i.e. $450k and reduce outgoings. Our place cost $392k as we wanted to keep loan as low as possible but it takes an hour & 10 into CBD...
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:09 pm
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by The Crow
Actually, I don't think you're far off If I added $3K mortgage to our outgoings - it would put ours to nearly $7K a month and I only pay for 4 year old kinder and minimal school fees (books and excursions). And I wouldn't say we lead a frivolous lifestyle
I rest my case....
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What sort of salary needed to live in Melbourne or Brisbane?

we live 1hr by train from Brisbane CBD and are kindy fees are $282 per week for 1 child and school fees (inc a/school and v/care) for the other are £220....

Our home loan is smallish but we have 1 investment loan for $408500 and that is $3003.18 per month
Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know,I did think abt the fact that they didn't have to buy a hse of that value etc. I do realise you answered the question of the OP with the figures they gave and yes, I do agree, with that sort of mortgage, child fees and living etc that figure is not unreasonable. I suppose with two of them working they could achieve it in Melbourne.

I stand corrected, not so freaky after all with their potential outgoings I'll keep me mouth shut next time

Take care
Gill

No alas we are not earning $8k a month-if only!!

I was just looking at the size of their potential mortgage ($3500 ish) and what they would spend on living for a family of 4 (?) each month, 2 cars & insurance costs, childcare costs (normally alot?!-even the doggy day care I have been looking at for when I start work is going to cost $960 per month for 3 days each week!!)

Our outgoings for couple with no kids $2600 per month (but thats with small home loan of only $650 per month) and only $300 "fun money" a month. We are quite stingy so if we are spending $3k a month with small home loan and only 2 people then big home loan, 4 people, childcare costs etc-is $8k so unreasonable a figure?

Of course they could do what we have done and buy somewhere alot cheaper than $600k i.e. $450k and reduce outgoings. Our place cost $392k as we wanted to keep loan as low as possible but it takes an hour & 10 into CBD...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

I have been using this budget calculator to work out how much we need to live.

http://www.home-loans.com.au/loan-ca...t-planner.html
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are right too JoolsB. We have two kids but no childcare or after school costs, mortgage is about $160k and our monthly outgoings are about $6-$7k. If they added another $2k per month for mortgage (which they would require for the size of their mortgage), plus childcare costs, that makes it more like about $9k per month

Our does include things like kids braces, piano lessons, private health etc though, which you could cut out if you had to.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:43 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

400k is a serious mortgage, for owner occupier. esp, for a new migrant .

Perhaps jump on the ladder a bit further down the scale for a year or so, then bump yourselves up.

Ste
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:18 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
400k is a serious mortgage, for owner occupier. esp, for a new migrant .

Perhaps jump on the ladder a bit further down the scale for a year or so, then bump yourselves up.

Ste
I agree completely and that's what we're doing. We know our ideal area and have worked out it's achievable in about 2-3 years when we are more settled but until then, as newbies, we didn't want the stress.

Everyone-give yourselves a break and ease in gently-Rome wasn't built in a day so it doesn't all have to be perfect immediately!