Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What sort of A***hole...

What sort of A***hole...

Old Sep 11th 2004, 9:56 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sort of A***hole...

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Lindsey

Good idea, will pop one round later.

The trouble with half these jerks who do things like this is that they don't even have licences or tax etc so they get a ban for a year! How does that work. If they are not allowed to drive anyway, what's the point of banning them.

You get a bigger fine for not having a tv licence than you do for reckless driving. Nice to see Big Brother has his priorities right.

Hi Moneypen,

Like Lindsey said, so sad to hear of another innocent life being taken but this happens far too often and the sentences are not harsh enough!
British Justice is supposed to be the best in the world.. Ha
Everyday you read some kind of farce in the papers, the list is endless.
Capital punishment should be reintroduced, for the likes of these animals who are banned from driving for causing death and child killers, in my eyes these people know what they are doing when they carry out these crimes so why should they be allowed to take another breath when they have caused so much heartache to a family!
I have heard cases of miscarriage of justice and some of these are terrible so surely in this day and age with DNA they cannot possible make mistakes!!

My thoughts are with the devasted family left behind to try and carry on without a mother and a wife..

Deb
Old Sep 11th 2004, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
The sentencing I was talking about was 1 year bans. Fair enough for some arrogant idiot who thinks alchohol doesn't impair his driving. Sending them to retake their test and reimposing the 3 year P plate requirement would be good. In NSW the blood alcohol limit limit for P platers is 0. Sentencing for death by dangerous/drink driving is something else.
There is a loophole in the law in Australia that if you cause death by driving because you fall asleep you cannot be charged with culpable driving, and hence you get a far more lenient sentence. There have been cases where drivers claim they fell asleep when in fact it is more than likely they were driving drunk or like an idiot.

There was as case in Melbourne in 2003 about a woman who mowed down 3 cyclists on Beach Road, killing one of them. She was on her way home from an all night party, had been drinking and taking ecstasy. She claimed she had fallen asleep at the wheel. The judge concluded that drink and drugs had not played a part in the crash and she was given a lighter sentence. She will serve less than 2 and a half years for taking someone's life, yet the maximum for causing death by culpable driving is 14 years.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

That law sucks becuase surely if you are driving when tired it is your responsibility if you fall asleep. People who are being sensible don't fall asleep.

Moneypen I'm really sorry to hear your news. There are a lot of crazy people out there. Personnally I think people who are convicted of bad driving offences should never be able to drive again.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindseyden
Just a few words on a card or a note will help them and will also make you feel you have done something to show you care even if they don't know who it's from.
Very true, helped my family a lot, just knowing that someone will be missed by others, even if they arent' in your circle does mean a lot
Old Sep 11th 2004, 5:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Moneypen I'm really sorry to hear your news. There are a lot of crazy people out there. Personnally I think people who are convicted of bad driving offences should never be able to drive again.
Should have allowances for genuine accidents, some guy near where the in-laws live accidently hit a kid, wasn't his fault, wasn't speeding, no booze, just going around a curve, and the kid on a dirt bike shot out in front of him, the kid didn't stop at the stop sign and was coming out of a blind bend that met the curve. Very sad, but not really the fault of the driver too.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bob

I agree there are genuine accidents, I know someone who knocked down a child on a bike, the child rode out in front of him, it was not his fault. The type of case I was thinking of was if someone is way over the limit alcohol wise, or speeding way over the limit. I think a message needs to be put across that that type of behaviour is not acceptable and will result in premanent revoking of license.

From Katie
Old Sep 11th 2004, 6:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by KatieStar
... The type of case I was thinking of was if someone is way over the limit alcohol wise, or speeding way over the limit. I think a message needs to be put across that that type of behaviour is not acceptable and will result in premanent revoking of license.
Definately agree with that, speed/drunk driving is a bad combo...Some countries are pretty good about it, a lot of Scandinaviancountries aren't tolerant towards drink driving, here's a zero limit in a few, I think in Japan too.
I think that might be a little ott, but it certainly makes it very clear where you stand.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I have to get this off my chest.

Some ba***ard last night in our "nice pleasant middle class town" decided to mow down a very quiet shy lady walking home from work. Did he/she stop? Did he/she F***! Lady died one hour later in hospital a few minutes before husband and 14 year old daughter could get to her.

What the hell is going on. I am soooooo angry. And if they find the scumbag, what will they get - sweet fa. Words fail me. I don't know family well enough to go round - nodding terms, they don't need anything from me but I feel useless which is normal I know but ahhhhhhhhhhh
That's terrible, where did it happen?

That sort of thing happens here too I'm sorry to say.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 10:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That's terrible, where did it happen?

That sort of thing happens here too I'm sorry to say.
She had got off the 321( ) at top of Walkers Road (Redbourn roundabout) and started walking down Walkers. - So well lit - only about 9pm and the bottom near the bridge was closed so don't know where he/she drove to.

Sorry 99.99999% of you as you will have no idea where I am talking about.

It's the first "hit and run" here that I think of.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
It's nigh on impossible to make bars responsible for drink-drivers though. I mean, it's perfectly legit to see someone have (say) 5 or 6 pints in a bar and not be 'drunk and disorderly' or whatever but of course they can't drive on that. I don't really think it would be feasible for a landlord / barperson to keep an eye out for drink-drivers
We are of course presuming alcohol might be involved in this tragedy but what's stopping breathalyser units being placed near pubs (e.g. in car parks where people come out and get into a car)? The onus is mainly on the police, not the barperson/landlord. Drink, drive, bloody idiot! (says it all)

There is a good chance the car was stolen, driven by an uninsured and unlicensed driver who was high on something. The portrayal of cars in advertising, Formula One etc doesn't help either - but of course people will try to tell me there is no link. And if the speed limit is say 70 mph or 110 kph or whatever, why do 'we' allow cars which can do more than twice this on the road - ah, quick acceleration to 'get out of trouble' some will say.

OzTennis
Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
And if the speed limit is say 70 mph or 110 kph or whatever, why do 'we' allow cars which can do more than twice this on the road - ah, quick acceleration to 'get out of trouble' some will say.

OzTennis
I have never understood that one. Why do we need to go from 0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds?
Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

I have never understood that one. Why do we need to go from 0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds?
was overtaken the other day by some smart arse in a souped up nova with an exhaust that could propel it to the moon! Why? What's all that about?

thinking of the ladies family moneypen, moreso her daughter, at the age when you really start needing your mum for all 'that' advice... tragic...

honeybob...