Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are the social and psychological nuances within Australia

What are the social and psychological nuances within Australia

Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the social and psychological nuances within Australia

Originally Posted by DC10
Easy:

Tesco's standard price for 20x440ml (equivalent to 24x Aussie stubbies) of Carlsberg is currently GBP 11.50, which is about AUD $24

Your standard Aussie carton (24 stubbies) is $45-50 (for a far inferior brew)

Apparently for obscure historical reasons beer is taxed much more harshly than wine in Aus - something like a fixed rate per bottle which increases with CPI whereas wine does not have the same rules
You can get some beer dirt cheap in Tescos and the like for sure.

I wouldn't call Carlsberg particularly high quality, although granted its marginally better than VB or New.

Nice stuff like Heineken and Peroni is pretty much the same price in Tescos/Dan Murphys
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Except that beer costs roughly twice as much in Aus, even after the 40% (and counting) AUD devaluation. Does that count as an "agenda"?
Indeed beer is cheaper in the UK and my recent trip there confirmed this but as usual only part of the story. Average earnings, disposable income and per capita GDP(PPP) are higher here than in the UK so this negates the price difference somewhat - swings and roundabouts. I certainly don't feel the pinch when I buy a slab at BWS

Your crusade on here about the perceived loss of wealth due to falling AUD is ridiculous - and pathetic. Using your analogy, when we were down at 1.40, was our wealth increasing? What about Canadians given that CAD has mirroring AUD against USD? And Poms when GBP was down at 1.35 or up at 2.10? Or against EUR ? A load of old bollocks

All part of your agenda on here and that's cool - whatever floats your boat, but you come across as economically illiterate

Cheers!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Nice stuff like Heineken and Peroni is pretty much the same price in Tescos/Dan Murphys
Spot on
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Indeed beer is cheaper in the UK and my recent trip there confirmed this but as usual only part of the story. Average earnings, disposable income and per capita GDP(PPP) are higher here than in the UK so this negates the price difference somewhat - swings and roundabouts. I certainly don't feel the pinch when I buy a slab at BWS

Your crusade on here about the perceived loss of wealth due to falling AUD is ridiculous - and pathetic. Using your analogy, when we were down at 1.40, was our wealth increasing? What about Canadians given that CAD has mirroring AUD against USD? And Poms when GBP was down at 1.35 or up at 2.10? Or against EUR ? A load of old bollocks

All part of your agenda on here and that's cool - whatever floats your boat, but you come across as economically illiterate

Cheers!
A 40% deval in such a short space of time is nearly always pretty serious stuff in any language or currency. In Canada a recession is all but nailed-on. The media and most people in GB were under no illusions at all about what was going on when Sterling was tanking.

Cheers
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing Perth which for some reason has stupidly high beer prices and the North of England is not a good comparison.

Cheers!
A bunch of us British Expats were all transferred from the UK around 2010-2012. Many of them have mortgages in the UK. Granted most of the repayments are covered by rent, but for some the $A is their only form of income, so the regular payment back to the UK is a killer now.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Best mass produced beer in Aus today, is a fairly new one.... try it, you will not be disappointed, probably amazed more like. James Squires Hop Thief, worth every dollar of the 57 buck a slab cost. IMO Aus has come to the party with this particular beer. Far far better than all their other beers and any other Aus beer I can think of. Beware it's damn addictive. A "Session" American Pale Ale, not many beers with this amount of hops in the brew can claim to be true session beers.... 5pct as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 28th 2015 at 5:50 am.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
Comparing Perth which for some reason has stupidly high beer prices and the North of England is not a good comparison.
The cost of beer in bottle shops in Perth is roughly the same as it is in Sydney or Melbourne (pubs are another matter but then we don't have pokies subsidising alcohol prices)

Salaries tend to be higher here too

A non-issue in relation to this thread
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Best mass produced beer in Aus today, is a fairly new one.... try it, you will not be disappointed, probably amazed more like. James Squires Hop Thief, worth every dollar of the 57 buck a slab cost. IMO Aus has come to the party with this particular beer. Far far better than all their other beers and any other Aus beer I can think of. Beware it's damn addictive. A "Session" American Pale Ale, not many beers with this amount of hops in the brew can claim to be true session beers.... 5pct as well.
I want one already, I love pale ale and IPA, yum, it's the reason I'm so fat despite working out 6 days a week! I'll definitely give it a go ozzieeagle
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I want one already, I love pale ale and IPA, yum, it's the reason I'm so fat despite working out 6 days a week! I'll definitely give it a go ozzieeagle
Well right now I'm having a XXXX Sunmer Bright Lager with Natural Lime, it's lower carb and is nice.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:51 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I wouldn't call Carlsberg particularly high quality, although granted its marginally better than VB or New.

New wins by KO over Heiny and Carlsberg, which for the most part are undrinkable. In fact it hardly gets any worse than Heineken, and if it happens to taste decent in some country then that's the exception and not the norm. Overall I'd say it's the lowest global brand there is in its class, something like the McD of beers.

With Carlsberg it can depend on the country as well, but overall I would never place them below Heineken.

Peroni of course is easily above both of these, though I prefer the other Italian brew called Moretti.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 11:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

A 40% deval in such a short space of time is nearly always pretty serious stuff in any language or currency. In Canada a recession is all but nailed-on. The media and most people in GB were under no illusions at all about what was going on when Sterling was tanking.

Cheers
Another half-story, agenda post. I want to know how people's wealth - according to you - is decreasing with AUD/CAD/GBP fall - and the inverse when they increase

Most people in the UK would have been blissfully unaware when GBP/USD was at 1.35 - and when it was at 2.1

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 28th 2015 at 11:25 am.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 11:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
A bunch of us British Expats were all transferred from the UK around 2010-2012. Many of them have mortgages in the UK. Granted most of the repayments are covered by rent, but for some the $A is their only form of income, so the regular payment back to the UK is a killer now.
But when GBP was at 2.70 they would have been laughing

Wealth has not been lost or created unless you were buying and selling at low or high exchange rates
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

Basically it's pretty easy to buy decent booze in both countries
Never said it wasn't, just answering the question.

Not an issue unless you have an agenda
I don't have an agenda.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

But when GBP was at 2.70 they would have been laughing

Wealth has not been lost or created unless you were buying and selling at low or high exchange rates
Its only an issue if you are dealing internationally with money. If you live in a box, which most Australians do then its a non issue.

Except of course if you are buying that new TV next year. Best get in now.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use to find the "Nasty" winging pom quote was only usually said when someone (an Australian) could not quite keep up with the British whit and intelligence so it was said in that way "Nastly" quite often....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.