Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should a relocation package look like?

What should a relocation package look like?

Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Mcsh1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should a relocation package look like?

Hi there
We are in the early stages of accepting a 2 year contract in Melbourne, moving from the UK. I was just wondering what a relocation packages should include as we've never done it before!
Many thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: What should a relocation package look like?

Originally Posted by Mcsh1977
Hi there
We are in the early stages of accepting a 2 year contract in Melbourne, moving from the UK. I was just wondering what a relocation packages should include as we've never done it before!
Many thanks.
I would make sure that the package has a clause which will pay for your return to your home location at the end of the contract.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

They look however you can negotiate it to look. Sometimes they pay for specifics and sometimes it is a $ amount to spend as you want. When we moved to Bermuda my company gave me $20k which covered business class flight, shipping of a container, shipping of two cats. My OH company gave him $5k which covered his flight and they also paid for a serviced apartment for one month.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for flights, return flights (at the end of contract), shipping of container, accommodation for 1 month, bond and 1 months rent towards securing rental and depending on how senior you are, the use of a relocation agent to help deal with rentals, schools, etc
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:41 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Our relocation package (in 2010) was flights for our family to Aus, a stopover in Singapore on the way, 4 weeks' accommodation in a hotel on arrival, a relocation agent and $15,000 expenses. The expenses covered shipping and additional accommodation mainly - it took us a long time to find a rental we were happy with (Sydney has a competitive market!).

If it's a 457, I'd be looking to either have return flights or sponsorship of PR included in the package. (We're Aus citizens, so had neither.)
Old Dec 5th 2013, 12:38 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Packages vary according to whether the company likes to control things or give you a lump sum to do with what you want; seniority, scarcity, and likely time you will be with them.
If you don't get a lump sum, ask for flights, removals including animals (which can cost more than people!), 1-2 months short term furnished accommodation, 1-3 days relocation consultant assistance to get you a rental and show you round when you arrive and obviously the reverse for going home.
Good Luck
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

In my relocations I have negotiated full pack/unpack and move shipping including self, husband and 2 pets, 2 months short term accommodation and car rental, lump sum cash grossed up for tax for incidentals such as purchase of new household appliances, bonds on rental property etc. if on 457 I believe the employer has to pay for your repatriation in any case but if I am wrong make sure that is in there too. Also had expenses such as a couple of nights in the home country hotel paid for and car hire so that when the shipment leaves and you sell your car you still have transport and a comfy roof over your head till it is time to go to the airport. Also negotiated tax adviser/accountant for first and last year's tax returns and made sure I didn't lose out on vacation time etc. also got 5 days extra vacation time to be used in the first year so that I could take time to arrange banks, driving license, looking for rental home and unpacking shipment when it arrived etc without having to use standard vacation days.

Last edited by Phoodilicious; Dec 5th 2013 at 1:04 am. Reason: Added in vacation time
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to ensure is that it is two way.

457 holders have to be repatriated back to their home country. But, that means flights only. As part of the package, you need to ensure that costs of shipping to Oz AND the costs of shipping back from Oz at the end of the contract
Old Dec 5th 2013, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for all your replies, I now at least know what should be included!

I think it will be a 457 visa. With this will I be able to get a job when were out there?

If it all goes through, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks again x
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mcsh1977
Thanks so much for all your replies, I now at least know what should be included!

I think it will be a 457 visa. With this will I be able to get a job when were out there?

If it all goes through, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks again x
You need the job to get a 457 visa - your partner can work too
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

That's good to know. It will be my husbands job that gets us the visa. Good to know that I can find a job once we're there. I'd get bored otherwise!