Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I do on a reccie to oz???

What should I do on a reccie to oz???

Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

sumobear is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking What should I do on a reccie to oz???

My wife has today given me the green light to go over to Oz on a bit of a reccie, we would have come over as a family but with 2 kids in tow thought it may be a lot of hassle as well as expense. I suggested one of us go over alone yesterday and this morning she agreed so cant believe my luck.

Anyway, the pressure will now be on me to give a good honest report on my trip which would hopefully put the final seal on our migration.

I realise that I can only do so much on a reccie so will need to prioritise so would appreciate any suggestions on must do's etc. I intend spending a week in perth and a week in Melbourne whilst out there.

My wife is a nurse so I thought of taking her CV over and looking at hospitals, also looking at schools for the kids but dont know if this is worthwhile or if there is something better to do with the time I have.

Any suggestions, advice would be very welcome.

Cheers
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

jacksoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What should I do on a reccie to oz???

My husband came out for a reccie. What work do you do? He targeted Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide. He drove around all the suburbs, looking at the houses, prices & how much you got for your money. There are a lot of 'MacMansions' over here. (beautiful large houses with very little garden). He drove & drove (hire a car with a speaking map reader - a must). He didn't like Melbourne, he said it was very flat & full of suberbs (depends what you're looking for). He thought Adelaide too quiet & I didn't want to live in Sydney. On a whim he flew to Brisbane & loved it. Loads of wild life, great weather fantastic beaches. Everytime I look in the local paper there are jobs for nurses. Be flexible, just because you've said you're going to spend a week in Perth, doesn't mean you have to. You're in for a lot of driving, so get some sleep now!!
Good luck in what ever you decide.

Originally Posted by sumobear
My wife has today given me the green light to go over to Oz on a bit of a reccie, we would have come over as a family but with 2 kids in tow thought it may be a lot of hassle as well as expense. I suggested one of us go over alone yesterday and this morning she agreed so cant believe my luck.

Anyway, the pressure will now be on me to give a good honest report on my trip which would hopefully put the final seal on our migration.

I realise that I can only do so much on a reccie so will need to prioritise so would appreciate any suggestions on must do's etc. I intend spending a week in perth and a week in Melbourne whilst out there.

My wife is a nurse so I thought of taking her CV over and looking at hospitals, also looking at schools for the kids but dont know if this is worthwhile or if there is something better to do with the time I have.

Cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:44 am
Just Joined

sumobear is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: What should I do on a reccie to oz???

I am a loss adjuster myself, wife is a senior staff nurse. I had thought of bringing her CV over and going to a few hospitals/agencies on her behalf to get a few details but dont want to go overboard, would have thought going to one or two would be enough to get a feel.

Schools are a bit different as I dont really know what I am looking for, both are girls aged 6 and 3 at moment, what do people normally do, do they just turn up at a school and ask to look around or do they have info packs etc etc.

I had also hoped to get some kind of feel for life in Oz as well so if you know what II could do to get that then please let me know, I have been looking at places to stay and thought a B&B might be best as opposed to some hotel chain just to get chatty with the locals.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:18 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Accommodation wise, I would recommend staying on camp sites. Whilst you'll still always meet tourists, many of them will be Aussies from all over the country and if you can get chatting to them this will give you tons of info.

If you're in a car, many camp sites have inexpensive cabins if you don;t want to camp. We did this for 6 months and it's a really good way to meet Aussies from all over.

Camp parks may be more scarce in cities obviously.

Happy reccy-ing!

Sunshine Sarah
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:34 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sumobear

Cheers

Go and find a wealthy woman, marry her and relax for the rest of your life....

ZX...
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:53 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother thaking your wife's CV, there are plenty of jobs for nurses everywhere and she'll have no trouble getting one when you all arrive. It might be best for her to see the local hospitals for herself. Have a look at at aussiemove.com they have a section on rekkies that people have done, it might give you some ideas. Good luck with your quest!

Tracey
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:57 am
Julie and keith

jandk will become famous soon enough

Hi
we just got back from gold coast/Brisbane and we loved it. spent 5 days in sydney which was too long for us its a city just like any city in the world. people not that friendly! Brisbane is lovely, people very friendly and helpful. gold coast has fantastic beaches and beautiful mountains where we want to live, just applying for assessments now! we spent a month out there and opened bank acccounts, spoke to bank manager bout mortgages and house prices in relation to wages we would be likely to earn. we had very positive experience, if your willing to work hard and not whinge the australians will love you!!!! Your kids will LOVE it!! Good luck and let us know how yu get on!!!
Have a Tooheys for us!!!!!!