Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should i do first?

What should i do first?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:14 am
Just Joined

jasek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should i do first?

Hi all, this is my first post, although i have been looking around here for a while.
just a bit of history: Iwent on holiday to Perth about 5 years ago with my girlfriend, who's brother lives there. We loved it and went back again the following year. This time we talked over getting ourselves there so we got all the forms and paper work while we were there, we filed out the forms got our refrences and stuff then she decides she would have some fun with another guy and all my dreams are blown to bits.
Anyway,I'm over that and have now decided to try myself via the Skilled-Independent route.

Just a couple of Question if anybody could help.

I have been a sheetmetal fabricator for 8 years although i have no formal qualification. Should i get my skills assesed before i do anything else.

I'm on a tight budget so should i go it alone or find the money for an Agent?

How should i decide on which part of Australia to go to?
Does anyone Know which parts would be good for getting a job as a metal fabricator?

I Know i have a great deal to find out and i figure if i can decide where i want to be, then i can concentrate on getting there.

Thanks in advance

Jason.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:22 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: What should i do first?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jasek

Should i get my skills assesed before i do anything else.

Yes , I would suggest you do this first as then you will know if you can go under the Skilled - Independant route. Without a skills assessment you won't be able to go under this class as this gives you the chunk of your points.
Another route maybe your girlfriend applying as the primary candidate as she has a brother out there. You could marry her first !!!!! Improve your chances ????

Good luck

Jill

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:23 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

something to get you started, job-huntingwise

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/d...&AscoCode=4124

also check out
http://www.careerone.com.au/
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:23 am
Go Banana's !!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Originally posted by jasek

Should i get my skills assesed before i do anything else.

Yes , I would suggest you do this first as then you will know if you can go under the Skilled - Independant route. Without a skills assessment you won't be able to go under this class as this gives you the chunk of your points.
Another route maybe your girlfriend applying as the primary candidate as she has a brother out there. You could marry her first !!!!! Improve your chances ????

Good luck

Jill
Sh*t sorry didn't read your post properly , can't you woo her back ? !

Jill

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mairi&Chris, thats a great link... it would have taken me ages to find something like that.

Hi jill,
lol...I'd rather not Woo her anywhere....lol..
I'm just reading about getting my skills assesed, at last.. i know where to start.

thanks

jason
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:50 am
Go Banana's !!

Thanks Mairi&Chris, thats a great link... it would have taken me ages to find something like that.

Hi jill,
lol...I'd rather not Woo her anywhere....lol..
I'm just reading about getting my skills assesed, at last.. i know where to start.

thanks

jason
Pleasure and good luck.
If you need any help with the skills assessment send us a PM - hubby will be happy to help. One point , you can never supply too much info - better than not enough

Jill

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:52 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Woo her back and then S**t on her front.

good luck with the TRA and just ask if you need help mate.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:54 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by paulf
Woo her back and then S**t on her front.

good luck with the TRA and just ask if you need help mate.

Needed a laugh - thanks

Jill

Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Wow..... 15 min. And loads of help and info,

Thanks all

Yeah..S**t on her front.......lol..
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

With your TRA put down EVERYTHING, including any tools/equipment/uses/advantages
you name it, put it down

My hubby is a painter/decorator. We had to list EVERY tool hi has ever used.
Things like ....applying the paint with a 3 inch pure bristle brush......... or cut the wallpaper to the required length using wallpaper scissores and pasting with a pasting brush, using a paste board.........sounds obvious eh, but you MUST list all!!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Mairi&Chris,
Looking at the link you gave shows that employment for the metal work sector is highest in NSW.
Do you think this means there will be more jobs available there?

I'm just wondering where i should try to base myself.

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:50 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mairi&Chris,
Looking at the link you gave shows that employment for the metal work sector is highest in NSW.
Do you think this means there will be more jobs available there?

I'm just wondering where i should try to base myself.

Cheers
Think its probably highest there (and also VIC) cos that where most of the pop live, so most of the 'heavy' industry also.

The thing to remember is a lot of these jobs will be based around the mining industry so could be out in the wilds a bit.

have you tried clicking on the link below the chart "find vacancies in this occupation" ? It gives 182 jobs listed. Might be worth doing a search on some of the place names to see if there are any towns that you like the look of.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:22 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

You will find a HUGE amount of info on this forum Jasek, Use the search button as your first port of call on finding relevant postings
on various matters, If that brings back nothing of use then just start a thread and ask.
People here will gladly help if possible and you are among a community all seeking the same goal. So get posting
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:41 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi all, this is my first post, although i have been looking around here for a while.
just a bit of history: Iwent on holiday to Perth about 5 years ago with my girlfriend, who's brother lives there. We loved it and went back again the following year. This time we talked over getting ourselves there so we got all the forms and paper work while we were there, we filed out the forms got our refrences and stuff then she decides she would have some fun with another guy and all my dreams are blown to bits.
Anyway,I'm over that and have now decided to try myself via the Skilled-Independent route.

Just a couple of Question if anybody could help.

I have been a sheetmetal fabricator for 8 years although i have no formal qualification. Should i get my skills assesed before i do anything else.

I'm on a tight budget so should i go it alone or find the money for an Agent?

How should i decide on which part of Australia to go to?
Does anyone Know which parts would be good for getting a job as a metal fabricator?

I Know i have a great deal to find out and i figure if i can decide where i want to be, then i can concentrate on getting there.

Thanks in advance

Jason.
hi jase. sorry to hear about the misses. just wanted to say it happened to me as well....women! still i'm living my ex's dream, and buggering off to auz without her! She didn't take it very well when she found out, but i thought it was bluddy funny!!!

good luck to ya mate!

Leigh
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Leigh,

lol...... yeah, i think if things work out okay and i get to go to Oz i might just have to give her one last visit. I'll have to take my camera to capture the look on her face...lol.

So when are you off, and where to?

Last edited by jasek; Jan 29th 2004 at 10:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.