Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I buy before we go??!

What should I buy before we go??!

Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

tamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant future
Default What should I buy before we go??!

What items are a) more expensive or b) have minimal range in Australia (Sydney)?

I was planning on buying bink beds, sofas and plasma tvs before we go? Is this a good idea - I heard tvs are expensive and there is not much choice in sofas??

Anything else?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I buy before we go??!

not sure about most stuff, but we bought a new front loader before we came- the choice here for front loaders is not as good, and I am not a fan of top loaders.

As far as I am aware most other stuff is comparable.
We had our bed made (by Chinese carpentry shops which are dotted over Melbourne) for about $700. Sofas are leather with spring loaded recliners- from Adriatic and can't remember price but they were not more expensive than UK.

Have to weigh the costs of buying up against cost of transporting them! (and potential damage and duty for owning them less than 1 year)
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

chippy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What should I buy before we go??!

Originally Posted by tamaja
What items are a) more expensive or b) have minimal range in Australia (Sydney)?

I was planning on buying bink beds, sofas and plasma tvs before we go? Is this a good idea - I heard tvs are expensive and there is not much choice in sofas??

Anything else?

Many thanks!
we are in brisbane we bought a 50 inch samsung plasma last month and it cost $1500 that was cheaper in the uk things are pretty much the same there are loads of bargains at the moment friend of mine bought 2x2 sofas, tv cabinet, 4 chairs and dining table and 2 coffee tables for $1800 just look around and google retailers and find out whats about near where you want to be. Hope this helps and good look joanne x
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:49 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

Hi There is plenty of choice for sofa's we bought ours in Oz it was hand made and the quality is way much better than the Chinese stuff churned out back in the UK, same goes for TV's plenty of choice from major brands to unknown brands and at a reasonable cost, If you want to compare products and what sort of choice is on offer in Australia then feel free to click on my link below this post, I have just compiled a website with 100's of links to Australian retailers so you can compare prices easily between here and the UK...

Last edited by aussiedreamz; Feb 4th 2009 at 10:54 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:28 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by tamaja

Anything else?

Many thanks!

Depending on where you end up living you may find the sofas from the UK too small and don't fit the houses here in the format you would ideally want - thats what we found. Sofas are a good price here in Perth but not sure about other states, sister is in Sydney and thinks there is less choice (for her taste) than Perth surprisingly.
If you buy a Plasma TV make sure you get it insured as heard some insurers do not cover certain plasmas (larger sizes?) for shipping without charging you extra.

I would do a quick look through the Argos book! No Joke! I certainly miss Argos for all the little odd household items you end up needing.
Here are some links to the some national furniture/electrical goods retailers which may help you decide:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au
http://www.freedom.com.au
http://www.retravision.com.au
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I would do a quick look through the Argos book! No Joke! I certainly miss Argos for all the little odd household items you end up needing.

We could do with something like Argos!!

However IKEA is pretty good for prices
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

If you have kids in nappies, as many Pampers nappies and wipes as you can find.

Decent men's undies are expensive too so stock up!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

tamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant future

Many thanks - keep the replies coming!!

Also, did anyone have problem shipping their wicker??
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Actually I would save the money on shipping and buy it when you get here................it will also help the economy!!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

In addition the rooms are that much bigger here, furniture from the UK can sometimes look a bit lost!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

Bring international adapter plugs as it takes a while for you to get aroung to changing all you plugs over...we only brought 1 and everyone was fighting for it
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Bring some "Manchester" with you - that's what they call their bed linen 'n stuff here. I think it's more expensive over here for stuff like that - just yer basic bits 'n pieces
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:15 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

I've stocked up on my fave pants socks and bras

Just b/c whilst I'm willing to accept different cereals...bread etc...I don't want to have to find any of the above in my first couple months!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by aussiedreamz
Hi There is plenty of choice for sofa's we bought ours in Oz it was hand made and the quality is way much better than the Chinese stuff churned out back in the UK, same goes for TV's plenty of choice from major brands to unknown brands and at a reasonable cost, If you want to compare products and what sort of choice is on offer in Australia then feel free to click on my link below this post, I have just compiled a website with 100's of links to Australian retailers so you can compare prices easily between here and the UK...
Your link's fantastic it's what every migrant needs! everyone should check it out
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

dougie-jen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, ive just read this thread and im now some what confused
, i have read and been told before hand that TV's bought in the UK won;t work in Oz,, due to being on a different fequency, ive been holding of buying a large plamsa because of this , is this correct or have i been miss informed?, can anyone advise, sorry for high-jacking your thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.