Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What school year would my children be in (NSW)

What school year would my children be in (NSW)

Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

lkwm81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What school year would my children be in (NSW)

Hiya

I have been trawling the internet regarding information on school admissions, but haven't had much luck.
My children are aged
8 (Feb b'day)
6 (March b'day)

I was trying to find out what school year they would be in in NSW and whether it is the same as in england, they are currently in Year 3 and Year 1.

Thanks
K
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What school year would my children be in (NSW)

They will be in exactly the same year here - Year 1 and Year 3.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

thank you

also is it the same for intake, the cut off dates for birthday to determine what year they are in. I noticed that the school year runs Jan - dec does this mean my children will be one of the eldest in their year?

Sorry for all the questions
thanks
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lkwm81
thank you

also is it the same for intake, the cut off dates for birthday to determine what year they are in. I noticed that the school year runs Jan - dec does this mean my children will be one of the eldest in their year?

Sorry for all the questions
thanks
In NSW, kids have to be 5 on or before 31st July if they want to start school in that year.

Taking your youngest as as example, they would have been 5 in March 2007 ( born in March 2002?) so would have started in Kindergarten (first year of proper school) in Jan 2007. They would therefore be in Year 1 now (2008).

All kids start school in the January - there's no staggered intake.

Both of your kids will be at the younger end of the spectrum in their respective years. A lot of parents whose children have May, June, July birthdays hold them back until the following year, to avoid them being the youngest in their year. This has the effect of kids who have Feb, March, April birthdays becoming the youngest instead. The actual birthdates of kids in your youngest's year will probably range from May 2001 to July 2002.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Yeah thats great
thanks for all the info.
K
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Smile Re: What school year would my children be in (NSW)

Just to add some more info, if you really wanted to, you could enter them now in kindergarten and Year 2, then they would be one of the eldest in their year. As children can turn 6 in the year they start kindergarten, officially a child can turn 6 from 1st January and enter kindergarten that year.

It's actually very common nowadays for kindergarten children to have their 6th birthday as early as February/March/April. When my boys get party invitations early in the school year, you now have to ask the parent how old the child is turning as so many children are held back in kindergarten nowadays. In fact my youngest son turned 5 this past January and he will be starting kindergarten next year.