Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What school year? (NZ)

What school year? (NZ)

Old Oct 10th 2003, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What school year? (NZ)

Does anyone know how to work out what school Year a child should be in in New Zealand? In the UK the "cutoff date" is 1st September. Any ideas what it is for NZ?

I've been searching on the 'net for ages, but can't find the answer....

Thanks,
Nicola.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:01 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll put this back up to the top as I would like to know any details of school dates and the school day if anyone knows
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:39 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

tinners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What school year? (NZ)

Originally posted by Akaubear
Does anyone know how to work out what school Year a child should be in in New Zealand? In the UK the "cutoff date" is 1st September. Any ideas what it is for NZ?

Thanks,
Nicola.
If you try the Ministry of Education site, you can click on the "School Terms and Holidays" icon at the top of the page for term dates.

www.minedu.govt.nz

As far as the cut off date is concerned , i am not sure but schooling is compulsory from age 6 to 16. I presume that the child has to be at least 6 yrs old at the start of Term1. Children are however allowed to attend state schools following their 5th birthday.
This is what i have been told by a NZ friend but i cannot give you a link to any specific site.
Hope it helps though.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

In case you haven't found out the cut off date yet - I emailed the school our children will be going to (they've been very helpful in the past) to find out for you - our children will be old enough to go straight in, so I don't need to know, but I'll post again when they reply.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,
Nicola.

I may be a bit old at 26 now but when I started school the cutoff was the end of May and I started as soon as I turned 5.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi

I just got this reply from NZ:

Hello Eileen,

There is no cut off date. As soon as the children turn five they start school no matter when their birthday is during the year. (This may vary tho' in big city schools because of large intakes - in this case there may well be only two intakes during the year but it doesn't generally happen like that)

Mike Pillette
Principal

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:25 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Thanks,
Nicola.
Hi,
They are 6 months behind us in the school year in NZ, so the 1/09/03 school year in UK would be 1/02/04 in NZ when they finish summer holidays. This means that when all ours start school they will be in the year below the one they are currently in. Children don't have to start school until they are six, however they can start on their 5th birthday, if school allows.

Cheers Kev.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:38 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I will def be sending my son to school as soon as he's 5yrs lol I will be ringing up and pestering school just to make sure aswell...he's a terror .. I need the peace
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies! I've been doing some checking myself, but can't seem to tie anyone down to a definitive answer. (I'm not actually after the age a child can start, as my child is 8! )

Kev (St George Six), just to let you know, one of the answers we got was that NZ was 6 months ahead of the UK - i.e. if they move to NZ between Jan and July they will be in the year above, or if between Sept and Dec they will be in the same year! But I'm still convinced there must be some sort of date involved....

If I do manage to get a better answer I shall post it!

Nicola.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nicola

Just emailed the principle in NZ for you again with the real query - doh! I misread your first one, will re-post when I get a reply!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Crozier mum is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What school year? (NZ)

Originally Posted by St George Six
Hi,
They are 6 months behind us in the school year in NZ, so the 1/09/03 school year in UK would be 1/02/04 in NZ when they finish summer holidays. This means that when all ours start school they will be in the year below the one they are currently in. Children don't have to start school until they are six, however they can start on their 5th birthday, if school allows.

Cheers Kev.
undefinedundefined

Hi Kev,
New to this website... so bear with me.
My family moved from uk last September where my children would of been starting in years 3, 4 & 5. When they started school in NZ in January they have all moved up a year where they are all the youngest by approx 9 months - 1 year. I haven't managed to find any one that knows the correct cut off dates...

crozier mum
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Crozier mum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Surfer Chick
I'll put this back up to the top as I would like to know any details of school dates and the school day if anyone knows

all school terms can be found on the educational revue office website...
We have been in NZ for 7 months and are also fronm West Sussex...

crozier mum