Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What reason do you have ???

What reason do you have ???

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:49 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default What reason do you have ???

There are many reasons why we all chose to leave our home country to go elsewhere but what is yours ??? and dont say the SUN you cant just go for the sun !!! Well ours was that we would like to be able to look back in 20 or more years and say WOW we did all that and we experienced all that , and we made our lives and our daughters more interesting and challenging, so tell me what your reasons were as i,m sure most if not all will be nearly the same !!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:00 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What reason do you have ???

Originally Posted by foofer
There are many reasons why we all chose to leave our home country to go elsewhere but what is yours ??? and dont say the SUN you cant just go for the sun !!! Well ours was that we would like to be able to look back in 20 or more years and say WOW we did all that and we experienced all that , and we made our lives and our daughters more interesting and challenging, so tell me what your reasons were as i,m sure most if not all will be nearly the same !!
I wish I had a 'good' reason. Just always fancied living somewhere else. Bit of adventure, meet some different people, do some different stuff. Australia just seems to fit all the criteria.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wmoore
I wish I had a 'good' reason. Just always fancied living somewhere else. Bit of adventure, meet some different people, do some different stuff. Australia just seems to fit all the criteria.

to be with the one i love (heaps!!!)
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point

we are wanting to go to hopefully provide a nicer/better life for our childrenwith hopefully a few more prospects for their future and to enjoy a different life to what we currently lead! We don't see it through coloured specs and are not under any illusions, but currently feel with everything that happens here and the amount of hard work we put in and the compensations you get for doing things, is not enough by far! I'm not one who likes to be handed things on a plate either, we work real hard to get what we have. It would also be great to look back in 20 years and say " WeDid That" rather than looking back and saying "If only"
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:52 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sumpti
It would also be great to look back in 20 years and say " WeDid That" rather than looking back and saying "If only"
That's a BIG reason. The last thing you want (IMO) is to regret not giving it a go when you're old and grey. Unless the whole experience is a huge nightmare, I can't imagine regretting trying it.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
That's a BIG reason. The last thing you want (IMO) is to regret not giving it a go when you're old and grey. Unless the whole experience is a huge nightmare, I can't imagine regretting trying it.
Totally, my Mum and Dad had the opportunity to go out 20 years ago and never did, can't really understand why, think more so my mum than anything and her feeling commited to family I know my Dad has regrets and know that's why he is soooooooo encouraging of us going! Or at least trying to That helps alot!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Never had any yearning to migrate or leave the UK. Just happened to marry a Kiwi. Decided to go live in his homeland, but hated it and decided to give Aus a go. Wasnt sure we'd like it, but what a surprise...dont wanna leave now.

Never went thorugh the same channels as most of you guys. Even my PR visa is being processed AFTER getting here and not the long wait beforehand like most of you. (not that i'm finding the wait from this end any easier as i might get thrown out!!!)
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sumpti
Totally, my Mum and Dad had the opportunity to go out 20 years ago and never did, can't really understand why, think more so my mum than anything and her feeling commited to family I know my Dad has regrets and know that's why he is soooooooo encouraging of us going! Or at least trying to That helps alot!

I wish my Mum & Dad felt the same as yours!
We just feel this is the right thing to do for ourselves and our kids. So we should give it a go or else we would regret it later in life.

+ THE WEATHER HELPS!!! Sue2
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:18 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Never had any yearning to migrate or leave the UK. Just happened to marry a Kiwi. Decided to go live in his homeland, but hated it and decided to give Aus a go. Wasnt sure we'd like it, but what a surprise...dont wanna leave now.

Never went thorugh the same channels as most of you guys. Even my PR visa is being processed AFTER getting here and not the long wait beforehand like most of you. (not that i'm finding the wait from this end any easier as i might get thrown out!!!)
I could say lower crime, taxes, less drugs to stir it up, but as Podgypossum knows, it's not worth it, so after spending nearly two years there, we just decided we loved it too much and yes sunshine does play it's part. I want the outdoors lifestyle and get back into diving alot more.

Plus (despite the stats) of others I'll personally be able to afford a better life out than I can here.

Paul.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue2
I wish my Mum & Dad felt the same as yours!
We just feel this is the right thing to do for ourselves and our kids. So we should give it a go or else we would regret it later in life.

+ THE WEATHER HELPS!!! Sue2
Hi Sue2

it is great if you can have family on your side, as I say mum is ok about it but would rather not discuss, dad would boot us out tomorrow if he could ( well tonight if possible) all for us though! But you have to think of yourselves and your family, it may sound harsh but I have learnt to live what that thought over past 3 years, so got used to it!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

A hard one, because it's hubby's dream not mine and my Mum has told me she would prefer it if we didn't go and can't we come to Norway instead?

However......

The pioneer in me does want to go. It's the frontier spirit in me, I've moved around a lot, never living anywhere for longer than 3 years. The UK doesn't *click* for me, it doesn't feel like Home.

We are not particularly close to any family here (apart from FIL, who is always jetting off and will happily fly Oz-way and who actively supports us moving).

Most of my family live abroad, so I don't see them very often as it is. The concern is that Oz is *even further* away, but still, it's not like we see them *that* often anyway.

It's a New Start. We've had a really tough few years, with my eldest having been bullied (arm broken by a group of kids) and continual harrassment since.

We want a fresh start, somewhere new and thought that we would take the opportunity to apply for a visa.

Now or never, so to speak.

Of course there are bullies in Oz too - but there is always the 'what if?' if we don't move - it's always worth trying - if you give up trying, you give up hoping.

I worry about the school system as we home educate now and it's been a real reveletion - Erk will probably go to school, but I'm not so sure for Richard and I would like the option to continue to HE in Oz and am hoping to be a family day carer to supplement our income ('cos we'll probably need the extra cash!) Either that or I'm holding a few sales parties in October - December. If these are successful I might try something similar in Oz.

I'm not a beach person, so I'm not going for them. I'm not a sun lover (I don't hate it, just don't see the point in lying in it), so I'm not going for the sunny days.

I'm not a big city gal, so we're hoping to be fairly close to countryside, somewhere a little quieter, where I can go cycling with the kids, get involved with local stuff, etc...

The chance of a bigger house (sounds materialistic - but I'd like the boys to have their own room each and would really like a 4th kid - no chance in the UK!)

So, so many reasons and needless to say I hope for a better standard of life (doesn't everyone that moves want that, whether in the UK or abroad).

If it doesn't work out, atleast I can say that I tried

But hey, still waiting on TRA, so a loooong way to go yet (hoping to hear end of next month). Me reckons that we haven't sent enough info., que sera, not too much longer to wait.

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all

For new challenges,New exp,and a complete change of scene.I dont think the grass is greener elswhere .... I just think its nice to have a chew now and again!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:31 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Curls
For new challenges,New exp,and a complete change of scene.I dont think the grass is greener elswhere .... I just think its nice to have a chew now and again!
Like that Great attitude to have
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For me, couldn't afford to live on a junior salary in London or Oxford, that was one reason, another, because we're young, have no real ties, and be easier now to go through the hassle of the greencard process because of it.
Also, more jobs in the field and able to live on the lower salary, plus why not, it's a bit of an adventure
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

for us coming the other way, also we just wanted a change and to do something different for a while. Choice just gets confusing I find. Having not really loved Uk but loving the travel options, can't wait to go back.
Kaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.