Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is really "progressive" in Australia?

What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:14 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Whoever said that restaurants and eating out is good.. .Absolutely agree with that. And sooo child friendly and if you order a chicken nugget up here you get a chicken breast strip, coated in breadcrumbs... not some crap formed chicken thing packed with salt.
I love that the tiniest of cafes does lovely meals.

I love the steak here. I love the lamb here too....

I like real estate agents cos ...

WE JUST GOT OUR HOUSE!!!!

Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:15 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Whoever said that restaurants and eating out is good.. .Absolutely agree with that. And sooo child friendly and if you order a chicken nugget up here you get a chicken breast strip, coated in breadcrumbs... not some crap formed chicken thing packed with salt.

Well done
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:22 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

bulk collection..... the ultimate in recycling.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Local Council Services.

Unburdened by the load of housing the poor (and sometimes the rich) the local council services are a lot better where I am than where I used to live in the UK. The bin collection is done by 1 man in a truck with a big grabber arm not 3-4 men and a truck. Footpaths appear overnight (almost). Road repairs are done very quickly. Children's playgrounds are well maintained and relatively graffiti free. Council meetings with ratepayers are more frequent.

I accept that the corruption levels seem to be on a par.

I am beginning to think I fell into a black hole on the way here and emerged in a parallel universe... 'footpaths appear overnight' Where? Every Oz suburb I know hasn't got any pavments Road repairs, from what I have seen consists of dropping a lump of tar in the hole.. my road must have at least 100 of these 'repairs' and its only 75 yards long... and while the one man bin collection sounds great the streets usually look like a warzone afterwards with bins strewn all over the place.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:24 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:27 am
Account Closed

That's great... really pleased for you and the house looks great
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's great... really pleased for you and the house looks great

Cheers chuck! It's a bit of a museum piece, but it's what I like.

PS - My bin guy manages to get the bin back in exactly the same place on the pavement every time. It's like an olympic sport to him.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Cheers chuck! It's a bit of a museum piece, but it's what I like.

PS - My bin guy manages to get the bin back in exactly the same place on the pavement every time. It's like an olympic sport to him.
LOL at olympic bin placing !! I once had a house that was about 60 years old and the damn thing nearly fell down on me. Swore blind I would never have another old one.. current house is 20 years old and that's plenty old enough for me.. it's going to take a lifetime to replace all the 'stuff' in that house of YOUR's !
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:35 am
Account Closed

it's going to take a lifetime to replace all the 'stuff' in that house of YOUR's !
Na, my kids will do it in a flash.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:37 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations Ipom, the house looks lovely and it looks like you'll have loads of verandah space for that first coffee of the day

Lynn
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by movetoperth
congratulations Ipom, the house looks lovely and it looks like you'll have loads of verandah space for that first coffee of the day

Lynn

You're right... I have a bullnose veranda! OMG, I am so happy!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:24 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I am beginning to think I fell into a black hole on the way here and emerged in a parallel universe... 'footpaths appear overnight' Where? Every Oz suburb I know hasn't got any pavments Road repairs, from what I have seen consists of dropping a lump of tar in the hole.. my road must have at least 100 of these 'repairs' and its only 75 yards long... and while the one man bin collection sounds great the streets usually look like a warzone afterwards with bins strewn all over the place.
I guess you don't live in Mornington Peninsula Shire?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:25 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on the house. I tried to give karma but I've got to spread it around.

Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Building... building is Sooooo much cheaper here than it is in the UK! Why is that? Lots of people doing it driving the prices down? Either way, it's great. I was going to do it myself, but am happy buying for now.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Despite the continuing "very nice time" that I'm having in Australia and despite my good job and business, I'm going through one of those "Jesus, Australia is backward" stages and again doubting that I'll last much more than a couple more years. (I think this has arisen from a couple of days of dealing with inept suppliers and continuing worry about the Department for Ed in WA).

So here's your invite - what do you think Australia has which marks it out as being more advanced or progressive than the UK? (you can't mention the weather!!). Give me something positive to focus on!
Speaking as someone who is still in the UK, ( ), there are backward things around the world. I find it hard to believe that any estate agent or solicitor could possibly be less efficient than the ones I am TRYING to deal with at the moment. The education system is also going down the pan and there are significant issues in defence too (This is not just me bad-mouthing the UK, myself & OH work in those sectors). Surely things cannot be worse in Australia!?
Apologies for negative post - the flip side is that surely there are more positive things in Australia?! Please?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.