Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are the real living costs in Brisbane?

What are the real living costs in Brisbane?

Old Jul 10th 2006, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the real living costs in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've noticed that a lot of people don't arrive in Australia with a decent chunk of cash to put down on a house in the first place. I can only conclude that many of them haven't paid much off their UK house, and therefore don't have a great deal of equity in it.

This confuses me, because the UK's cost of living is generally lower and the wages are generally higher; I would therefore expect the average Brit to have paid more off their mortage than the average Aussie, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I do know that people often buy a brand new car (sometimes two!) when they arrive in Australia, and that's great if you've already got a massive slab of spare cash for a mortgage. But it certainly wouldn't be my first priority; I'd rather get a good 2nd-hand car, and keep every spare cent for a mortgage deposit.

I have an investment property back home, with the mortgage currently less than half the value of the house (around 40%.) I recently received $8,000 from a long-term investment, which I threw straight onto the mortgage; I didn't even think about spending it any other way.
You're not the only person to have noticed this. Australians tend to regard paying off the mortgage as priority number one - whereas people from the UK are more likely to be resigned to having it hanging around for 25 years.

I've noticed a lot of people on here talk about how much better off they were in the UK (nice cars, lots of holidays, didn't have to worry about money etc) yet they still had 20 years-worth of mortgage to pay off. The average Australian would forget the new cars and expensive holidays and put every spare cent into the mortgage just to get rid of it.

And another thing - the way the people here talk about being 'mortgage-free' in a dreamy way like it's almost impossible to achieve. We haven't had a mortgage on our house for 12 years and it was a piece of cake. You just have to put all your spare cash into it and not be tempted to blow it on consumerables.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:24 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What are the real living costs in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by dolly123
OMG , I've got shock of my life. I was under impression life down under would be affordable.
It is. Millions of Australians manage it every year.

You can cut a lot of things out of jad n rich's list; it's fine for anyone in a similar situation - but will your situation really be that similar?

For example...

Rates @ $2168 a year
That's absolutely obscene. You'd be living in a bloody nice suburb for that kind of money; not the sort of place that your average punter ends up in. My own rates back home were just under $1000 and I lived in a reasonable suburb. I'll be going semi-rural when I return home, so I'm not expecting my rates to be much higher than $1k. Deduct $1k.

House and contents insurance @ $712
Pretty reasonable, if you have a big house and lots of goodies inside. My H&C was less than $400 but I'll probably be looking at around $500-600 when I return home. Deduct $100.

Electricity @ $1572
Seems a bit steep, but perhaps there's a couple of tellies, a computer and a Playstation/Xbox to consider. Doesn't sound like a house which uses energy-efficient bulbs, and there's no mention of gas in jad n rich's budget, so a lot of that money will be for heating at hot water. I'd probably knock a third off that figure (if not more) for people with gas, some reasonable insulation, and an energy-efficient lifestyle. Deduct $500.

Austar and internet @ $1068.
The lowest Austar package is $61.90. Let's use this as our figure just to be fair. That's $742.80 for the year, not including Internet (probably around $35 a month) which comes to $420. I don't have digital TV now and won't when I return home, so that leaves me with Internet only. Deduct $742.

Phones, personal and home @ $2188.
We hardly use our phone, and that won't be changing when we move. I pay less than £5 a month on my PAYG mobile, and the missus doesn't pay much more. When we move Down Under we certainly won't be running up bills of $547 per quarter, as jad n rich's family does. :scared: Get an Internet phone and save a few bob! I'd slash that figure by about two thirds for myself and halve it for the average punter to $273 per quarter. Deduct $1094.

Medical insurance @ $2700.
Some people don't bother with medical insurance; I know of many people who've never paid a cent into it, some of whom are ex-pats. I'll probably get low-level cover for myself and the missus, but for the sake of argument let's throw in a couple of hypothetical kids to bump the figure up a bit. Deduct $1000.

Cars 2 - rego and insurance @ $2133.
Nice cars! I'd knock a third off that figure for myelf - if not more. Deduct $711.

Repairs and servicing @ $1579.
That'll vary, depending on your situation. Let's take off a conservative 25%. Deduct $394.

Petrol @ $8,000.
jad n rich has pointed out that the OH is a tradie who travels a lot for work (though his petrol expenses are tax deductible, so it's not as bad as it sounds) so we can chop a fair bit off that figure. Deduct $3,000.

Basic licences, registrations and insurances to work, $2350.
...but only if you're a tradie, which I'm not. Deduct $2350.

State school, books, levies, uniforms, $912 add approx $12,000.
Our kids (when we finally have them!) will attend a private school (Heritage College, South Australia) at around $1700 each per year (includes everything except uniforms.) Deduct $8,600.

Entertainment, etc. @ $13784.
My wife and I spent very little on entertainment and clothes. This will not change when we move Down Under. Others will probably spend more, though I doubt that the average punter goes as far as jad n rich (who can obviously afford it) But let's put two kids into the equation and assume that we lash out a bit now and then. Deduct $6,892.

All up, the deductions come to $30,531. If you want to be extra cautious, or your lifestyle and income are a lot closer to jad n rich's than mine, keep an extra $10,000 and call it a deduction of $20,351.

That's still a pretty sizeable discount on the cost of living for one year.

BTW, big thanks to jad n rich for the summary of your annual expenses; very detailed, and very well explained. Karma sent.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 10th 2006 at 6:30 am.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:29 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What are the real living costs in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by nickyc
You're not the only person to have noticed this. Australians tend to regard paying off the mortgage as priority number one - whereas people from the UK are more likely to be resigned to having it hanging around for 25 years.

I've noticed a lot of people on here talk about how much better off they were in the UK (nice cars, lots of holidays, didn't have to worry about money etc) yet they still had 20 years-worth of mortgage to pay off. The average Australian would forget the new cars and expensive holidays and put every spare cent into the mortgage just to get rid of it.

And another thing - the way the people here talk about being 'mortgage-free' in a dreamy way like it's almost impossible to achieve. We haven't had a mortgage on our house for 12 years and it was a piece of cake. You just have to put all your spare cash into it and not be tempted to blow it on consumerables.
Exactly!

Just round the corner from me, there's a street with a lot of rather tired-looking ex-council houses. Every third house has a £5,000 car out the front.

I have to ask myself what sort of person spends that amount of money on their car, when they could be living in a better area and a much nicer house.

The missus and I live in a nice ex-council semi (2x1) which we're currently renovating. It will sell for a reasonable sum when we've finished. She drives a £800 Nissan Micra, while I drive a £300 Mazda Astina. We honestly can't justify anything more expensive than that; the house takes top priority!

We still go on holidays (a weekend to Devon; our 3-week trip to Australia at the end of this month) but we try to live a green, energy-efficient lifestyle - and it really makes a difference!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

It is. Millions of Australians manage it every year. You can cut a lot of things out of jad n rich's list; it's fine for anyone in a similar situation - but will your situation really be that similar?

For example...

Rates @ $2168 a year
That's absolutely obscene. You'd be living in a bloody nice suburb for that kind of money; not the sort of place that your average punter ends up in. My own rates back home were just under $1000 and I lived in a reasonable suburb. I'll be going semi-rural when I return home, so I'm not expecting my rates to be much higher than $1k. Deduct $1k.

House and contents insurance @ $712
Pretty reasonable, if you have a big house and lots of goodies inside. My H&C was less than $400 but I'll probably be looking at around $500-600 when I return home. Deduct $100.

Electricity @ $1572
Seems a bit steep, but perhaps there's a couple of tellies, a computer and a Playstation/Xbox to consider. Doesn't sound like a house which uses energy-efficient bulbs, and there's no mention of gas in jad n rich's budget, so a lot of that money will be for heating at hot water. I'd probably knock a third off that figure (if not more) for people with gas, some reasonable insulation, and an energy-efficient lifestyle. Deduct $500.

Austar and internet @ $1068.
The lowest Austar package is $61.90. Let's use this as our figure just to be fair. That's $742.80 for the year, not including Internet (probably around $35 a month) which comes to $420. I don't have digital TV now and won't when I return home, so that leaves me with Internet only. Deduct $742.

Phones, personal and home @ $2188.
We hardly use our phone, and that won't be changing when we move. I pay less than £5 a month on my PAYG mobile, and the missus doesn't pay much more. When we move Down Under we certainly won't be running up bills of $547 per quarter, as jad n rich's family does. :scared: Get an Internet phone and save a few bob! I'd slash that figure by about two thirds for myself and halve it for the average punter to $273 per quarter. Deduct $1094.

Medical insurance @ $2700.
Some people don't bother with medical insurance; I know of many people who've never paid a cent into it, some of whom are ex-pats. I'll probably get low-level cover for myself and the missus, but for the sake of argument let's throw in a couple of hypothetical kids to bump the figure up a bit. Deduct $1000.

Cars 2 - rego and insurance @ $2133.
Nice cars! I'd knock a third off that figure for myelf - if not more. Deduct $711.

Repairs and servicing @ $1579.
That'll vary, depending on your situation. Let's take off a conservative 25%. Deduct $394.

Petrol @ $8,000.
jad n rich has pointed out that the OH is a tradie who travels a lot for work (though his petrol expenses are tax deductible, so it's not as bad as it sounds) so we can chop a fair bit off that figure. Deduct $3,000.

Basic licences, registrations and insurances to work, $2350.
...but only if you're a tradie, which I'm not. Deduct $2350.

State school, books, levies, uniforms, $912 add approx $12,000.
Our kids (when we finally have them!) will attend a private school (Heritage College, South Australia) at around $1700 each per year (includes everything except uniforms.) Deduct $8,600.

Entertainment, etc. @ $13784.
My wife and I spent very little on entertainment and clothes. This will not change when we move Down Under. Others will probably spend more, though I doubt that the average punter goes as far as jad n rich (who can obviously afford it) But let's put two kids into the equation and assume that we lash out a bit now and then. Deduct $6,892.

All up, the deductions come to $30,531. If you want to be extra cautious, or your lifestyle and income are a lot closer to jad n rich's than mine, keep an extra $10,000 and call it a deduction of $20,351.

That's still a pretty sizeable discount on the cost of living for one year.

BTW, big thanks to jad n rich for the summary of your annual expenses; very detailed, and very well explained. Karma sent.

Amsusing vash, maybe you are budgeting for a single bloke not a family SOURCE real life!

Love some of the sums too, like the austar one, deduct $742 but your sums are higher than mine

Private health, claimed back $7600 this year on dental and eye op, living costs would have soared without that.

Your totally out of date on prices mate, maroochy shire rates, ave price house and 2 cars neither new, regos standard, insurance shopped around. Hot water, off peak, a tiny portion of the bill, gas N/A here unless you buy it in bottles.

Still would love to hear from the families living on $23,000 a year ( thats my figure minus vashes $30,531)

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 10th 2006 at 7:05 am.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What are the real living costs in Brisbane? sunday markets ???

Macy
would you say the sunday markets and or the
general food markets are cheaper for fresh produce
than Coles or Woolies?

thanks A

Originally Posted by macy
Personally speaking we were shocked at how expensive Oz is, obviously if you are earning the uk equivalent then its great but most don't. Hubbie went from a great wage in uk to a poor one in Oz, we knew this but again its been a lifestyle change, saying that now i am working again its getting better.

Things I noticed that most people don't do in uk.

1. More friends I know make their own clothes and knit
2. Only shop when the sales are on
3. Actually use the money off coupons all the time rather than me who never did in uk and has only just got used to doing it.
4. Layby items for Xmas
5. Compare, Compare, Compare prices

Tip I was given when I first arrived in Oz was if you see something cheap, buy it cause it will be gone tomorrow, and how true is that!

Having said all that we stay cause we love it, those grey skies can't tempt us back no matter how great Tesco is. On a totally different note, anybody notice the price of cucumbers lately !!! $4.75 in Coles and even paid $2.50 for one at a market on Sunday, apparently its due to the cold weather down south ? Who knows, roll on Summer.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: What are the real living costs in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Amsusing vash, maybe you are budgeting for a single bloke not a family SOURCE real life!
Not that you're in any position to judge, of course, since you have absolutely no idea of my own annual expenditure. But anyway...

The budget that I've calculated is actually larger than the one that my wife and I currently live on - and we have a perfectly comfortable lifestyle. Even if we have a couple of kids and have to start forking out some serious money, we certainly won't be spending $13,000 a year on entertainment or $12,000 on school fees!

Love some of the sums too, like the austar one, deduct $742 but your sums are higher than mine
Well, I don't know what you're paying for Austar, do I? I had to select a ballpark figure, and decided that the cheapest Austar package would be a fair one to work with.

Private health, claimed back $7600 this year on dental and eye op, living costs would have soared without that.
Exceptional circumstances require exceptional costs. How many people are going to be in the position of having to fork out for eye operations, do you think? And even if they do, it certainly won't be once a year, which means that your figure of $7600 earns a big "So what?" from me.

Back home, my annual medical expenditure usually consisted of around $45 a quarter for medication and $40 a month for health insurance. Every couple of years I would spend around $250 on a new pair of glasses. If I needed anything else, it was done free on Medicare or totally covered by my health insurance with nothing left to pay.

Your totally out of date on prices mate, maroochy shire rates, ave price house and 2 cars neither new, regos standard, insurance shopped around. Hot water, off peak, a tiny portion of the bill, gas N/A here unless you buy it in bottles.
ROTFL, I read the ads on realestate.com nearly every day!

I am not totally out of date on prices; I am working with the prices that I know to be current in the Adelaide hills - which is where I am planning to live, and where you can still get a nice house for $260,000. (We'll be looking at paying around $300,000 ourselves, but we'll also have about $100,000 as a deposit.)

Maroochy shire rates and house prices are therefore totally irrelevant to me, so how can you say that I'm "out of date" when I'm looking at a completely different part of the country? Not everyone's moving to Maroochy, you know.

BTW, gas is available from the mains in SA, so I'll have no problems there and an immediate advantage over your situation. Just watch that electricity bill drop!

No comments about energy efficient living? Well, just take that one on board as a helpful suggestion from me.

Oh, and re. the cars - "neither new" doesn't necessarily mean "cheap", given that Australian used car prices are astronomical. I drove a $10,000 Mazda Astina back home, and don't intend to pay any more than that for another car when I return.

Still would love to hear from the families living on $23,000 a year ( thats my figure minus vashes $30,531)
No, that's not "living on $23,000 a year"; that's "annual cost of standard living expenses." It doesn't cover absolutely everything, and it's not intended to; it only covers the things that I've specifically mentioned.

Even if I am amazingly generous and simply cut out a handful of costs (digital TV, tradesman's registration and licensing, dental work/eye operation and private school fees) that's still a massive saving of $22,692. So I honestly don't know what you're complaining about.

BTW, I'd love to hear from all the other families spending $7600 a year on medical treatment, $12,000 on school fees, $8,000 on petrol, $2,188 on the phone, $2168 on rates, and $13,000 on entertainment.

Do you seriously think that is typical of most people's annual expenditure?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 10th 2006 at 6:09 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:28 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

The original poster asked for the real living costs of living in Brisbane. Jad has given her real living costs of living slightly North. Why do you always have to have a go at her?

If a poster asks "If, in 2 years time, I were to move to the Adelaide Hills, what will be my living costs?", then please feel free to reply.

Jane
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:33 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I have to say, I'd rather go on expensive holidays and generally enjoy my life rahter than skimp and save and throw every available cent at a home loan. There's no point in having a massive house when I die. What use is it to me from beyond the grave?

Sure, it'll take me 30 years to buy a house, but I'll be enjoying life along the way.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Not

Yes, you appear to be the only one picking holes in it, it was posted to be useful. As others have pointed out, you have to pick on everything I post no matter what. Get out a bit more or get back to australia and recognise that you have no idea what it costs to run a family here, you dont even have kids and its now 2006 and austraila is no longer a cheap place to live.

Also as you know everything its a surprise you have not picked up some points such as the rates I quoted are not 'obscene' in fact they are last years rate, they are due to go up 15%. I didnt answer your energy effeciency comments because they are also out of date, you have to build to new energy codes now.

As for private heath costs, the eye op you have the cheek to comment on was on the aussie in our family! its a op so common there is a 7 year waiting list on medicare. You say $40 a month for private health insurance, your kidding? get some recent costs!!

As for who pays out private school fees well about half the poms and aussies we know do and as for medical treatments you pay for, check out braces and costs, but of course vash your kids will probably pop out with perky white chipmunk teeth and it wont cost you a penny.

If you want to answer what it costs to run a family, get off the computer, produce a family, move back to australia then do a post preferably with costs from the century we are living in.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 11th 2006 at 2:07 am.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:19 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Nick give me the holiday, flash car and a plasma TV etc etc granted the mortgage may take a few years longer but who cares? i'm here for a good time not a long time.

Originally Posted by brisnick
I have to say, I'd rather go on expensive holidays and generally enjoy my life rahter than skimp and save and throw every available cent at a home loan. There's no point in having a massive house when I die. What use is it to me from beyond the grave?

Sure, it'll take me 30 years to buy a house, but I'll be enjoying life along the way.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not totally out of date on prices; I am working with the prices that I know to be current in the Adelaide hills - which is where I am planning to live, and where you can still get a nice house for $260,000. (We'll be looking at paying around $300,000 ourselves, but we'll also have about $100,000 as a deposit.)

Maroochy shire rates and house prices are therefore totally irrelevant to me, so how can you say that I'm "out of date" when I'm looking at a completely different part of the country? Not everyone's moving to Maroochy, you know.
No, but interestingly the OP asked for real living costs in Brisbane , & Maroochydore is alot closer to it than the Adelaide Hills (& you dont even bloody live there yet ).

Just out of interest for you, the rates on our 2 rental properties here in Brisbane are $1900/year each (I wont include our own house that we live in as its not the "norm" for working out rates) which are just basic houses on normal blocks 25kms from the city valued at $300K (exactly the sort of area that expats move to!), our rego alone on our 2 cars is $1300/year (2x6 cylinder cars, doesnt make a difference how much they cost to buy!), our car insurance is over $1100/year. Private school fees for secondary school in this area from $6000 per child & that doesnt include extras or uniforms, that is only tuition fees, so I dont think J&R's estimate is that far wrong. Our phone bill, foxtel & mobile is around $170/month (phone $30 line rental, $30 mobile & $90 for foxtel as we have an extra point + some extra channels like History & Comedy), so Jad's figures arent so far out from mine. Internet is $90/month, fixed IP, ADSL business plan. Electricity is between $400 & $450/quarter - & yes, we have gas hot water & cooking, we have NO electric heating and we have energy saver bulbs in 90% of our light fittings! Fuel costs $1.30/l here now, working on that basis alone our family are looking at around $4500-5000/year assuming 1 car is filled twice a fortnight & the other is filled once a fortnight (which is roughly what it is) & we live within a 10km radius of the city & dont go out alot!

Back home, my annual medical expenditure usually consisted of around $45 a quarter for medication and $40 a month for health insurance. Every couple of years I would spend around $250 on a new pair of glasses. If I needed anything else, it was done free on Medicare or totally covered by my health insurance with nothing left to pay.
Im STILL trying to find a health insurance that pays for everything & I have nothing left to pay after a doctors visit I think that's in fairy land. Just as a comparison, here are some figures that our family ACTUALLY pays (here & NOW, with 2 kids, living here)
Medications - $130/month just for scripts! I get NOTHING of that back. That doesnt include any other things that I need to take like Magnesium supplements, fish oil etc or anything like cold & flu medicines or Panadol for the kids. Scripts are now $30 each!
Doctors visit last week - $50, I got $31 back from Medicare - cost to me $19 & I have to go every 2 months.
Specialist1 visit this week - $175 -I will get $111 back from Medicare- cost to me - $64 & I have to go back in 3 months time.
Specialist2 visit last month - 2 visits cost me $320, I got back $200 from Medicare - cost to me $120
Boys Specialist1 - costs me $64 for both after Medicare Rebate - cost to me $64 twice/year
Boys Specialist2 - I just put claims in from the last couple of years (4 claims x 2 kids), the amount I paid was $1108, I got back $454 & that is for top corporate cover with supposedly better offers & discounts . Cost to me - $654 for the 2 years.

Dental for me last week - cost $220 for work on 1 tooth, Health Insurance paid out $95 - cost to me $125.
Son1 dental last week x 2 visits = $120 first one $60 second one after claiming from Health Insurance, one more visit to go (lets say $60 again)- that is work on a baby tooth that will fall out in 3 or 4 years! :scared: Cost to me - $240.

How many more do you want? Real figures from someone who lives here & actually has kids - not ones pulled out of the air.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No, but interestingly the OP asked for real living costs in Brisbane , & Maroochydore is alot closer to it than the Adelaide Hills (& you dont even bloody live there yet ).

Just out of interest for you, the rates on our 2 rental properties here in Brisbane are $1900/year each (I wont include our own house that we live in as its not the "norm" for working out rates) which are just basic houses on normal blocks 25kms from the city valued at $300K (exactly the sort of area that expats move to!), our rego alone on our 2 cars is $1300/year (2x6 cylinder cars, doesnt make a difference how much they cost to buy!), our car insurance is over $1100/year. Private school fees for secondary school in this area from $6000 per child & that doesnt include extras or uniforms, that is only tuition fees, so I dont think J&R's estimate is that far wrong. Our phone bill, foxtel & mobile is around $170/month (phone $30 line rental, $30 mobile & $90 for foxtel as we have an extra point + some extra channels like History & Comedy), so Jad's figures arent so far out from mine. Internet is $90/month, fixed IP, ADSL business plan. Electricity is between $400 & $450/quarter - & yes, we have gas hot water & cooking, we have NO electric heating and we have energy saver bulbs in 90% of our light fittings! Fuel costs $1.30/l here now, working on that basis alone our family are looking at around $4500-5000/year assuming 1 car is filled twice a fortnight & the other is filled once a fortnight (which is roughly what it is) & we live within a 10km radius of the city & dont go out alot!

Im STILL trying to find a health insurance that pays for everything & I have nothing left to pay after a doctors visit I think that's in fairy land. Just as a comparison, here are some figures that our family ACTUALLY pays (here & NOW, with 2 kids, living here)
Medications - $130/month just for scripts! I get NOTHING of that back. That doesnt include any other things that I need to take like Magnesium supplements, fish oil etc or anything like cold & flu medicines or Panadol for the kids. Scripts are now $30 each!
Doctors visit last week - $50, I got $31 back from Medicare - cost to me $19 & I have to go every 2 months.
Specialist1 visit this week - $175 -I will get $111 back from Medicare- cost to me - $64 & I have to go back in 3 months time.
Specialist2 visit last month - 2 visits cost me $320, I got back $200 from Medicare - cost to me $120
Boys Specialist1 - costs me $64 for both after Medicare Rebate - cost to me $64 twice/year
Boys Specialist2 - I just put claims in from the last couple of years (4 claims x 2 kids), the amount I paid was $1108, I got back $454 & that is for top corporate cover with supposedly better offers & discounts . Cost to me - $654 for the 2 years.

Dental for me last week - cost $220 for work on 1 tooth, Health Insurance paid out $95 - cost to me $125.
Son1 dental last week x 2 visits = $120 first one $60 second one after claiming from Health Insurance, one more visit to go (lets say $60 again)- that is work on a baby tooth that will fall out in 3 or 4 years! :scared: Cost to me - $240.

How many more do you want? Real figures from someone who lives here & actually has kids - not ones pulled out of the air.

Vash appears to be quiet tonght
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

I would just second everything Mrs D and Jad have said - I cannot believe how expensive the cost of living is out here. We live outside a major city so our housing and rates are cheaper but even so, we seem to be spending money like it's going out of fashion In the UK I would go food shopping and not really notice the price of things - here I go to Aldi and price compare everything.

We have no debt at all, no mortgage, car loans etc and yet we still seem to only just get by. (Mind you I s'pose that is the price we pay for both only working 3 days a week )
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nice to see someone was man enough to apologise for rubbishing my post All mouth no pants
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

[QUOTE=Babycatcher]
Originally Posted by woogle
Hi
4bed,3 baths & pool cost $445,000,if anyones interested

I am! Where abouts is Brisbane are you? What's the area like? For families, schools etc....
Hi
We live in Ferny Grove,the house is about 5/10 mins walk from the schools,shops & train. We're about 11KM from the city and the train is on a direct line,takes about 20/25 mins to the CBD. Just a nice quite suburb,good for families. Redcliffe beach is about 40 mins away in the car, Chermside shopping centre is about 20 mins.
We've been here since Feb & we love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.