Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What r u going to do when u get there ?

What r u going to do when u get there ?

Old May 27th 2003, 12:45 pm
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What r u going to do when u get there ?

Hi all

Wondering what everyones plans r for work when they get to oz or nz ?

R many of you planning to do something completely different ?

My hubbie is hoping to work entirely from home. Does this one day a week at the mo, the rest of the time he's commuting to sunny swindon. He has got a couple of contacts to fall back on if the going gets tough though. What bout the rest of you ?

Em
Old May 27th 2003, 2:11 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I'm planning on giving up work and having babies!

Jo
Old May 27th 2003, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joh117

Jo
Me too ...... but don't tell the missus!!
Old May 27th 2003, 2:38 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by joh117

Jo
Snap!

although folk keep looking at me strange when I tell them that. It's like a woman in the 21st century MUST have a career becuase she CAN have a career.

Women's lib gone too far???
Old May 27th 2003, 3:36 pm
plumber39

Not getting involved!

Old May 27th 2003, 4:19 pm
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mika24me
Snap!

although folk keep looking at me strange when I tell them that. It's like a woman in the 21st century MUST have a career becuase she CAN have a career.

Women's lib gone too far???
Hubbie wants me to go out to work if we need extra money in the early days so he can stay at home with kids and work around them. Imagine the reaction he gets, he gets pretty pissed when people imply he wouldn't last 5 mins just cause he's a bloke !

I'd rather be at home, although I do work part time. Suppose its his turn now though. If I do go out to work plan to do a few of his 'tricks' e.g say i'll b home at 5.30 and then phone at 5 and say i'm just leavin b back in hour and a half make sure I save that for when he's havin a particularly bad day ! Going off on a tangent here, but goin back to work sounding better and better !

Em
Old May 27th 2003, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Sleep!

After a 25.5 hour flight with 2 small kids and arriving in Sydney at 6 in the morning I think sleep might just work. We're only validating this time, unfortunately, but when we finally move hope to have a couple of weeks to chill out then start working!

Ginny
Old May 27th 2003, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not going to work for as long as I can hold off, then a career change is called for. I have been in IT for 20 years. I'll probably buy a property to rent out & if thats a success get another one or two. Living in the UK I have over 80% equity and a huge mortgage. In Australia, no mortgage, no need to work & lots of $$$ in the bank! The only downer is the exchange rate, I lose $5000 for every cent less the pound buys. This wont stop me from going though.

Phil.