Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to put in your 40kg baggage allowance?

What to put in your 40kg baggage allowance?

Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:30 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to put in your 40kg baggage allowance?

Assuming we get the 40kg allowance, what are the essentials we should pack (besides clothes etc) that we can't wait for the boat to bring?

What did anyone take or wish they had packed rather than shipping it that they feel smug / stupid about?

(We will have holiday accomodation for 2-3 weeks but will then have a month or so in a rental before the container arrives)

One other thought, did anyone who did a recce visit leave a case of stuff (where?) so that they could bring more on the real emigration?
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:48 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What to put in your 40kg baggage allowance?

Originally Posted by worzel
Assuming we get the 40kg allowance, what are the essentials we should pack (besides clothes etc) that we can't wait for the boat to bring?

What did anyone take or wish they had packed rather than shipping it that they feel smug / stupid about?

(We will have holiday accomodation for 2-3 weeks but will then have a month or so in a rental before the container arrives)

One other thought, did anyone who did a recce visit leave a case of stuff (where?) so that they could bring more on the real emigration?
We are hoping to just take clothes and money. Cds, PS2 games and DVDs without the cases. The some CDs with photos on.....think that's it!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I'm still in UK but have been giving it some thought.
The obvious things to pack are documents:
education/training/job certificates
proof of car insurance no claims
birth/marriage certificates plus photocopies
Passport photos
eye prescription
list of kids innoculations
some sort of credit history like credit card bills etc

Thought I would order a good supply of contact lenses through a website here for my son then he doesn't need to register with an optician for a little while.

a supply of any medications you are on.

Clothes, obviously
travel iron
If I've space (I've only 30kg) I might shrink wrap (in a vacuum bag) a spare duvet as it won't weigh much.

Plug adaptors

101 other things but I can't think right now. Any advice anyone?
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molloymj
PS2 games
Don't forget the console

Seriously considering the PS2 as well. Only me with the extra allowance (depending on who we fly with of course)

Don't know how much they weigh but has anyone taken a blow-up bed? Probably a silly question but we are taking our bed and if we are in unfurnished rental for a while, don't particularly want to waste my money buying one.

Apart from all that, paperwork, jewellery, laptop, camcorder, clothes, - oh god, another list to make
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Oh yes, forgot laptop. Also back up discs with c.v. on etc.
Mobile phone (get unlocked before you go and buy new sim card there)
My son is taking his computer as carry on baggage (it's a small shuttle computer he built) then he'll buy a new screen there.
Address book full of contact details both of UK and Oz - employment agencies etc.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

We're making sure we take the last bill we received from all utilities (gas,lecky, phone etc), payslips from the last couple of months, reference from landlord. 1 towel each, plus 1 beach towel each.
Just said goodbye to our shipping stuff this morning. I'm just hoping I can fit everything else into my suitcase now... :scared:
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:43 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Apart from all that, paperwork, jewellery, laptop, camcorder
All of that sort of stuff will get crammed in my hand luggage. Too valuable to trust to baggage handlers. Someone also recommended removing the hard drive from your PC and taking that to.

I can get everything I need like clothes etc in one case / 20kg I reckon. But I was wondering whether I ought to take towels, duvets /bedding and other basics we will need in a house rental. But is that too large / bulky?
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I made a'portfolio' for each of us and that was in our cases. Found it very useful when it came to registering the kids for schools. Toby 'file' contained his work experiance referance along with the referance from his previous employer. This assisted with him getting the little job he has now.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:16 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel

Having done the trip back and forth a few times between us in the last couple of years, the best tips MrPR and I could give you are as follows:
  1. Don't overpack - most of us take clothing, etc, for a 'holiday'. We all tend to have our favourite clothes which we'll wear a lot and then those 'just-in-case' items. As Australia is more laid back than UK, you'll find that you can get away with being more casually dressed in more circumstances here. Put the 'just-in-case' items in your shipping - it's highly unlikely that you'll need them straight away and if you do, just go and buy something! It's much cheaper than paying excess baggage charges!!
  2. Don't pack heavy and likely-to-leak items like shampoo, conditioner, sun cream, moisturiser in large quantities. Take a free sample type sachet or two and buy it when you get here. That cuts out quite a bit of weight and eliminates the chance of having them leak all over your clothing.
  3. Make sure that you back up your computer data and consider carrying the back-ups with you - at least of things like your CVs. There's nothing more frustrating than having to redo your CV (due to change of address/contact number, etc) when you don't have an electronic copy of it!
  4. If you're carrying things with UK plugs on them, bring a powerboard (multi-plug-in board), a short extension lead and a UK/Oz adaptor. You can buy the adaptors here, of course, but it's easier and cheaper to have a powerboard on hand. That way you can plug it in, via the adaptor and, if necessary, extention lead, to run your laptop, printer, mobile phone chargers, etc, at the same time. One of the worst frustrations is not being able to plug things in and get them running 'instantly'! This one's essential if you rely on electricity as much as we do!!
  5. If you're coming over in the winter months, consider putting electric blankets, if you use them, in the bottom of your suitcases. No, I'm not joking! As most houses don't have central heating here, it gets bloody cold at night through winter.
  6. If you have rellies or friends here (ie an address you can use), why not consider sending a parcel by post ahead? This could contain some of the lighter, but perhaps bulkier, items such as a vacuum-packed doonah (duvet), some of your clothing, etc. It's worth pricing the postage versus excess baggage difference!
If I think of anything else, I add on later.

Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Having done the trip back and forth a few times between us in the last couple of years, the best tips MrPR and I could give you are as follows:
  1. Don't overpack - most of us take clothing, etc, for a 'holiday'. We all tend to have our favourite clothes which we'll wear a lot and then those 'just-in-case' items. As Australia is more laid back than UK, you'll find that you can get away with being more casually dressed in more circumstances here. Put the 'just-in-case' items in your shipping - it's highly unlikely that you'll need them straight away and if you do, just go and buy something! It's much cheaper than paying excess baggage charges!!
  2. Don't pack heavy and likely-to-leak items like shampoo, conditioner, sun cream, moisturiser in large quantities. Take a free sample type sachet or two and buy it when you get here. That cuts out quite a bit of weight and eliminates the chance of having them leak all over your clothing.
  3. Make sure that you back up your computer data and consider carrying the back-ups with you - at least of things like your CVs. There's nothing more frustrating than having to redo your CV (due to change of address/contact number, etc) when you don't have an electronic copy of it!
  4. If you're carrying things with UK plugs on them, bring a powerboard (multi-plug-in board), a short extension lead and a UK/Oz adaptor. You can buy the adaptors here, of course, but it's easier and cheaper to have a powerboard on hand. That way you can plug it in, via the adaptor and, if necessary, extention lead, to run your laptop, printer, mobile phone chargers, etc, at the same time. One of the worst frustrations is not being able to plug things in and get them running 'instantly'! This one's essential if you rely on electricity as much as we do!!
  5. If you're coming over in the winter months, consider putting electric blankets, if you use them, in the bottom of your suitcases. No, I'm not joking! As most houses don't have central heating here, it gets bloody cold at night through winter.
  6. If you have rellies or friends here (ie an address you can use), why not consider sending a parcel by post ahead? This could contain some of the lighter, but perhaps bulkier, items such as a vacuum-packed doonah (duvet), some of your clothing, etc. It's worth pricing the postage versus excess baggage difference!
If I think of anything else, I add on later.

Good tips. thanks