What is a POM?

Old May 6th 2005, 9:43 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: What is a POM?

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Yes, well, they would, wouldn't they...?

Are you suggesting it's a demeaning term after all?.....

(adjusts rose coloured specs!)
Old May 6th 2005, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is a POM?

Originally Posted by philian4
Are you suggesting it's a demeaning term after all?.....

(adjusts rose coloured specs!)
Now, would I do a thing like that?

(my specs have darkened, over the years... )
Old May 6th 2005, 10:04 am
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs
I don't care about being called a pom any more than the Aussies care about being called an Aussie.

I don't care if i'm percieved as winging if i am complaing either, its tough really. If i winge and am called a winging pom i couldn't give a monkeys (it hasn't happened yet) I won't change the way i am just to be seen to be a "non winging pom". I just don't care either way really
the important thing is to be yourself and not try to change as you say. If aussies like, if anyone likes who you are then that's a bonus and you will be ahead of the game before the dice is rolled. People will judge you whatever you do but tough.

Badge

Old May 6th 2005, 11:45 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by Badge
the important thing is to be yourself and not try to change as you say. If aussies like, if anyone likes who you are then that's a bonus and you will be ahead of the game before the dice is rolled. People will judge you whatever you do but tough.

Badge
Ok so Im a Jock then! Im OK with that!

(NOTE TO ANY YANKS OUT THERE: That doesnt make me one of those sporty-type arses you see in films that always bully the hero but always end up getting theirs in the end, theyre just called wankers here!)

PS A yank to us Brits is anybody from the USA so dont think youve got away with it just because youre from New York, its nothing Personal.

Limey-Jock Bloke
Old May 6th 2005, 11:50 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

i rest my case I quote from the Aussie Dictionary

pom, pommy, pommie
noun:- A person from England, probably derived from Prisoner Of Mother England.
Old May 6th 2005, 11:54 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by biggy
i rest my case I quote from the Aussie Dictionary

pom, pommy, pommie
noun:- A person from England, probably derived from Prisoner Of Mother England.
Case rested then!

Youre a JOCK by the way!
Old May 6th 2005, 12:07 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Ok so Im a Jock then! Im OK with that!

(NOTE TO ANY YANKS OUT THERE: That doesnt make me one of those sporty-type arses you see in films that always bully the hero but always end up getting theirs in the end, theyre just called wankers here!)

PS A yank to us Brits is anybody from the USA so dont think youve got away with it just because youre from New York, its nothing Personal.

Limey-Jock Bloke
PMSL. That bloke from "The Full Monty" comes to mind, can't remember if he is a Jock now to be honest. He then became the bad bloke for a while think he might have been in a Bond movie..

Did you mean spotty-arsed? Remember the Jock in Austen Powers 2 - the Yanks wouldn't have had a chance. I remember Californians beside themselves watching that.

Badge

Old May 6th 2005, 12:13 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by TopCat3
No, and Yes. Over the course of time, I didn't believe it at first...
No and Yes....didn't believe what at first...(?)

BTW, I actually reckon the pomegranate thing could be accurate even if it is less popular. Fewer people have heard of that version. The prisoner thing seems a bit too good to be true although it is convenient for Aussies.

Old May 6th 2005, 12:14 pm
AC/DC!

PMSL. That bloke from "The Full Monty" comes to mind, can't remember if he is a Jock now to be honest. He then became the bad bloke for a while think he might have been in a Bond movie..

Did you mean spotty-arsed? Remember the Jock in Austen Powers 2 - the Yanks wouldn't have had a chance. I remember Californians beside themselves watching that.

Badge

You thinking of Robert Carlise?
--and..
'Fat Bastard' in Austin Powers Mike Myers seems to be infactuated with Jocks, have you seen 'So I married an Axe murderer' what a laugh!
HO, HEID!
Old May 6th 2005, 12:16 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by yamahaha
You thinking of Robert Carlise?
--and..
'Fat Bastard' in Austin Powers Mike Myers seems to be infactuated with Jocks, have you seen 'So I married an Axe murderer' what a laugh!
HO, HEID!
That's the bloke. He was in Tomorrow Never Dies...I think.

Old May 6th 2005, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Grassface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussie73
'Pom' is a name Aussies call the English, the closest example to it would be the term ' Yanks ' to describe the Americans.
Aussie call Yanks 'seppos' as in septic tanks.....

A POM to me is an Aussie. They were the prisoners in this land, not the British residents in the UK.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:29 pm
AC/DC!

That's the bloke. He was in Tomorrow Never Dies...I think.
Yeah, the guy with the Bullet in his head!
If you like him then get a copy of TrainSpotting, he plays a wee aggressive NED called Begbie, fanstastic character and film.

(BTW, A NED is the Scottish equivalent of a Chav but have been about far longer, stands for Non Educated Delinquent, originally coined by the polis I believe...sorry I seem to have an unhealthy interest in these things!!)
Old May 6th 2005, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Mike Myers seems to be infactuated with Jocks, have you seen 'So I married an Axe murderer' what a laugh!
yeah, his father was Scottish.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:56 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grassface
Aussie call Yanks 'seppos' as in septic tanks.....

A POM to me is an Aussie. They were the prisoners in this land, not the British residents in the UK.
Can't wriggle out that way - the convicts transported to Aus were British - Poms for short.

Last 269 convicts arrived in the colony of Western Australia on 1868 January 9 - and have all since past away.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

No and Yes....didn't believe what at first...(?)

BTW, I actually reckon the pomegranate thing could be accurate even if it is less popular. Fewer people have heard of that version. The prisoner thing seems a bit too good to be true although it is convenient for Aussies.
I was responding to your earlier post - had I taken it the wrong way (no) and had I had a few bad experiences (yes). Sorry if I was confusing and I didn't really believe my feelings at first, after a while of observing, you know, generally, not just personally, I came to believe there was something underlying it all. I don't want to start being explicit or offensive so I'll leave it there.

Last edited by TopCat3; May 6th 2005 at 12:59 pm. Reason: I hadnnt really addressed his question properly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.