Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is Oz really like??

What is Oz really like??

Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Oz really like??

Originally Posted by Amazulu
MBUK is full of bitter whinging Pom losers.
And you, my dear, are a judgemental prat. I sometimes post on MBTUK - just because those on there are terriby homesick (which you obviously cannot comprehend) does not make them losers.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It always amazes me to read these "Is Australia for me" posts and the replies from people who have either not moved here yet or have only been here a couple of weeks/months. Basically still in the honeymoon phase. It's like asking a newlywed how's married life? Of course it's still fantastic!

Life here is no different than life in any other western country. You have to get up in the morning and go to work. You have bills to pay just like anywhere else. There is crime and unemployment and poverty and racism abounds in some places. The major difference would have to be the fact that in order to go anywhere other than Australia you have to fly long distance. Well, being in Perth if we want to go anywhere at all it's a long haul flight.
Excellent post D.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Things that grate. There is a very hard to understand mentality here, similar to small town USA, this is the best in the world, pumped down your throat in the media but more annoyingly from the sort of person who has never left australia and has absolutely no idea what the hell goes on in the rest of the world, but chucks out that type of comment at every opportunity.
Should point out this is only a risk if you live in boganville, or watch tabloid TV or read tabloid print.

There are plenty of educated people - Aussie and Brit - who have determined for them that they are better off here.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

SE Qld - Some say it a Bogan infested, redneck shithole - and I would agree with them.
Perth is closer to Europe - so shorter, cheaper flights.

Why are you still living in Australia? You paint such a negative picture of it on here and have virtually nothing good to say about it.

Anybody only has to mention perth and you go off on a shithole, bogon, losers rant, every time.....

Perth was only mentioned as its the place the guy asking was going. He asked for the negative points too, if he did a thread asking for the wonderland bits he would have got them. Actually this morning there was a what do you find joyful and blissful thread and for that I gave blissful answers

The OP who asked the question appreciated my answers, exactly what he was looking for, your the only one upset and I think thats more the usual defense thing you have about perth than anything else.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Let's pretend, if we're allowed, that life is not about money or about increasing one's financial worth. If we're feeling daring, how about also pretending that life's about living and 'having a good time'.

With our financial blinkers on, can we now think really, really hard and provide potential migrants with an honest view on what Oz is really like???

Small time property 'tycoons' and get rich quick wannabees are not required to participate, nor are postings involving £ or $ symbols.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody only has to mention perth and you go off on a shithole, bogon, losers rant, every time.....

Perth was only mentioned as its the place the guy asking was going. He asked for the negative points too, if he did a thread asking for the wonderland bits he would have got them. Actually this morning there was a what do you find joyful and blissful thread and for that I gave blissful answers

The OP who asked the question appreciated my answers, exactly what he was looking for, your the only one upset and I think thats more the usual defense thing you have about perth than anything else.
As expected, you never answered my question.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It always amazes me to read these "Is Australia for me" posts and the replies from people who have either not moved here yet or have only been here a couple of weeks/months. Basically still in the honeymoon phase. It's like asking a newlywed how's married life? Of course it's still fantastic!

Life here is no different than life in any other western country. You have to get up in the morning and go to work. You have bills to pay just like anywhere else. There is crime and unemployment and poverty and racism abounds in some places. The major difference would have to be the fact that in order to go anywhere other than Australia you have to fly long distance. Well, being in Perth if we want to go anywhere at all it's a long haul flight.
Completely agree with you except for the bit where Jad'n'Rich lives which is completely shit (alegedly)
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:01 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tictac
Let's pretend, if we're allowed, that life is not about money or about increasing one's financial worth. If we're feeling daring, how about also pretending that life's about living and 'having a good time'.

With our financial blinkers on, can we now think really, really hard and provide potential migrants with an honest view on what Oz is really like???

Small time property 'tycoons' and get rich quick wannabees are not required to participate, nor are postings involving £ or $ symbols.
It's bloody great, mate!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You're the one who is defensive Jad on the whole. You didn't answer the question. Amazulu is quite happy about where he lives and as the person is going to Perth he might as well throw in one line about it.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You're the one who is defensive Jad on the whole. You didn't answer the question. Amazulu is quite happy about where he lives and as the person is going to Perth he might as well throw in one line about it.

The OP asked for the negative bits but lets forget that.

Why do I live here, because its just a normal country and because of that I dont have to have a hissy fit because there are plenty of things wrong with it.

Its bleeding obvious to me if we moved to USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany whatever any person if being honest could make a list of downsides about that country and continue to live a normal day to day life there without the constant desire to keep moving in search of a country without problems - which does not exist.

I never came here to find 'utopia' or 'escape' anything, so writing that australia has problems is nothing other than expected and as such can list them, especially when asked for.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:26 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpool12
Thanks jad n rich and everyone else who has posted some real valuable info for us.

All the views so far are really appreciated.

I have to keep giving people a bit of a reality check, when they find out that we are hopefully going to Oz. "Oh thats fantastic, it will be great, wish we could go, barbies on the beach, nice weather, your own swimming pool etc....." These are the standard lines we get from most people, until I tell them, that we will both probably have to work full-time (just as in the UK), we probably wont have a pool, and we will probably working too long to be able to go the beach, never mind havin a bleedin barbie on one too !!

Anyway, joking apart, what we do know is that we will have a better quality of life in Australia, not just me and the missus, but for our 2 young kids also.

You know why..............because will make sure that we do. We both work bloody hard for what we have got in the UK and know we will have to put even more effort into making this work. But we will make it work, because it is what we want to do, to give us and the kids a better life. We have got an unmissable opportunity to change our lives forever, and we will regret it for the rest of our life if we dont take it. Its now or never and we are not going to fall into the never category.

Thanks again,

Rob
hi rob
i think alot depends on your starting point funds wise

if you own your own property in the uk, sell up and buy here
you should end up better of than you were in the uk
obviously this also depends on where you want to live and how realistic you are ( you wont end up with popular beach front property unless your seriously loaded )

we had a semi in trafford manchester and for what we sold the house for we purchased a bungalow on 1 1/2 acres
am i happy
chuffin right
theres no way as a sparkie in manc that i would have gotten to this level not without six numbers to help

i also believe that if you want to get on and work hard that the opportunity is here to make some good money in order to get the add on`s that we would all like
ie the pool and boat being the most popular

regards steve
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SE Qld - Some say it a Bogan infested, redneck shithole - and I would agree with them.
Perth is closer to Europe - so shorter, cheaper flights.

Why are you still living in Australia? You paint such a negative picture of it on here and have virtually nothing good to say about it.

Badge - while your acting as judge and jury on this thread, read the first 2 lines. Sounded rather like a nasty rant to me, than a serious question.

To the OP, sorry my answer seems to have disrupted your thread, glad it was the sort of answer you were looking for and back to your thread.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 6th 2007 at 7:32 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:22 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

we also live by amazulu.
although me and my family live in perth the only thing we really have to do with it, is the view .......

i travel in and out for work and thats about it....

if i was coming to live here,i would do as i did,come on a rekkie,spend a month looking round and bobs your uncle...

were over the moon with where we live in perth ,its as i predicted a million times better than where i left....

so for us we dont have any negative points about perth...

to be honest,i dont read the paper,watch the news,,,,,,so what goes on with all these hoons,ect..dosent really worry me...that may sound like im a little bit up my own 4r5e,but its true....

flies maybe...

Last edited by aston man; Nov 6th 2007 at 10:04 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
we also live by amazulu.
although me and my family live in perth the only thing we really have to do with it, is the view .......

i travel in and out for work and thats about it....

if i was coming to live here,i would do as i did,come on a rekkie,spend a month looking round and bobs your uncle...

were over the moon with where we live in perth ,its as i predicted a million times better than where i left....

so for us we dont have any negative points about perth...

to be honest,i dont read the paper,whatch the news,,,,,,so what goes on with all these hoons,ect..dosent really worry me...that may sound like im a little bit up my own 4r5e,but its true....

flies maybe...
It's great here AM that's for sure and I love it too.
These Perth is boring/isolated/shite posts wind me up sometimes. I try to not react to them but it's hard not to at times!

Flies will be gone in a few weeks time.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:05 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

It's great here AM that's for sure and I love it too.
These Perth is boring/isolated/shite posts wind me up sometimes. I try to not react to them but it's hard not to at times!

Flies will be gone in a few weeks time.
blessed mate,blessed....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.