What now?

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice
Default What now?

Hi,
We moved out of retal in nsw about a month ago. Befoe we left we accidentally paid too much rent about $700 approx. Have emailed the agent ,but no reply.
I called this morn, and am pretty certain that I spoke to the lady who deals with rentals (she even answered the phone using her name), I told her why I was calling and she pretended I need to speak to someone else. She kjept me waiting for a while then said thie person was on another call, and she will call me back.
I dont think I will hear from them , they didnt reply to my email from a couple of weeks ago.. Thing is what can I do next, is there an organisation I can contact, fair trading or consumer affairs or something?
Thank you, any info gratefully received
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What now?

Ask them again in writing, showing proof and let them know you will be copying the letter to the Real Estate Authority for NSW.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bibblybobbly
Hi,
We moved out of retal in nsw about a month ago. Befoe we left we accidentally paid too much rent about $700 approx. Have emailed the agent ,but no reply.
I called this morn, and am pretty certain that I spoke to the lady who deals with rentals (she even answered the phone using her name), I told her why I was calling and she pretended I need to speak to someone else. She kjept me waiting for a while then said thie person was on another call, and she will call me back.
I dont think I will hear from them , they didnt reply to my email from a couple of weeks ago.. Thing is what can I do next, is there an organisation I can contact, fair trading or consumer affairs or something?
http://www.tenants.org.au/publish/all_tenants/index.php

Have a look on this website you can put your post code in for your local advice line and I would ring and speak to them about it.

http://www.tenants.org.au/publish/contact-us/

Keep every document/telephone conversations you send to them dates/times and so on for proof of contact with the Estate Agent.

Hope this helps & Good Luck

Last edited by LINZI; Apr 23rd 2012 at 1:20 am. Reason: Forgot to put hope this helps.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice

Thanks for that,will have a look at that website, will also send them another request in writing with proof as suggested and let them no that I will be going further with it
Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:42 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bibblybobbly
Hi,
They are obliged to return any rent that does not belong - and a complaint to NSW fair trading will get it back eventually. I wouldn't worry that the person you spoke to has said you need to speak to someone else. Not all agents will have access to the trust account, and they will need to check with the bank that you have actually made the deposit you have said you have made.
Call again and find out what they are proposing to do and when. You sould get it back within a week.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. i called the agent again, and finally got thru to someone from rental. She told me "You cant have that money back, we used it to have the property cleaned after you left, the kitchen cupboards hadnt been cleaned out properly, and we had rubbish to get rid of. (both of which are completely untrue )
we had received our full bond back, with no mention of any problem, no email nothing. I told her that wasnt right, they should have done things properly, if there was a prob they should have let us know, and stopped the correct money from our bond. She had no right to use money that wasnt theirs. She told me hat she allowed the bond to go through as she knew she had the extra rent we had paid. She was really rude,and kept telling me she'd sent an email to us,telling us all this. We checked and found nothing
Anyway told her I was going to speak to fair trading and she would be hearing from me, then, im ashamed to say I hung up on her. Dont usually do that as I think its so rude, but she was so rude to me,I just lost my rag.
Anyway , we received an email to say they were going to give us back $170, im still mad they stopped so much for their imaginary cleaning, but hey ho, Im told its pretty much expected.
Will be so glad when we get out of renting
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:51 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I'd reply and ask to see the receipts from the cleaning company. We did that after one agent tried to keep our bond. Of course they couldn't come up with any.
As the others have said, contact NSW fairtrading - they were pretty good. I can't believe what some of these agents try to get away with (and too frequently do).
They will have inspected the property before you got your bond back. If they were happy to give you all that money back they have no right to keep any now!
We ended up going to a tribunal about one matter (having a dog) and the magistrate (or whoever it was) absolutely wiped the floor with the agent and owner and told them that they should know the rules better and the case should not have been wasting her time.