Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What not to take

What not to take

Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:32 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future
Default What not to take

Sorry I know that this has been mentioned before but the search function doesn't seem to working for me.

I've got the shippers coming round for quotes next and I want to know what items are definitely not allowed / won't work in Oz? Are TV's and videos ok?

Cheers in advance

Michael
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:50 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What not to take

Originally Posted by Comer
Sorry I know that this has been mentioned before but the search function doesn't seem to working for me.

I've got the shippers coming round for quotes next and I want to know what items are definitely not allowed / won't work in Oz? Are TV's and videos ok?

Cheers in advance

Michael
Take the tv, ditch the video, run aerial thru digibox or ozzy video player to the tv

Dont take :
fireants
wicker
judiff chalmers videos
billy connoly posters
or anythin else offensive
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by Comer

Cheers in advance

Michael
TVs/Videos etc - you'll find some modern ones will work, some won't.. By work/not work it usually comes down to the sound... i.e. you'll get picture, but only certain TVs will give sound due to the different format out there.

Phones - Not sure, the actual phone I think will work as have seen the same models out there as here.. However the cable to the wall socket may be different. They may also use a slightly different frequency from handset to base station if a wireless phone. This is only really a problem if you buy Oz and European handsets and try and make them talk to a single base station.

Fridges - once again mixed views, if you've got a newish one and room in your container then consider taking it, however the climate in Oz will usually mean that the fridge/freezers will be under quite a higher loading than the UK ones are used to. Can always beomce a beer fridge in the garage :-)

Not allowed items - things like wicker/bamboo etc are not allowed. However the Oz government site (can't remember link, but will be on the forum) lists all items that are not allowed. I wouldn't worry though, all the removal companies should provide you with a list of what you are not allowed to take, and should be able to provide some guidance on what they recommend to take (although I'd double check it here!)

hth

Alex
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
or anythin else offensive
Such as:

Robbie Williams CDs,
Video collection of the X factor,
Lawnmower & other garden tools,
Marmite
etc.

Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:59 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future

Thanks for the tips. How much do I need this site
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

No coral or ivory or plant material - seeds, straw, gourds, pine cones etc.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys

Dont forget Nothing related to JUDITH CHALMERS god I hate that Old Cow
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:07 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesleys
Which is ironic because Malc has a piece of coral he brought back from Aus but now he cant take it with him!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Take the tv, ditch the video, run aerial thru digibox or ozzy video player to the tv
TV and VCR will work if they are the new type where on the remote you can select sound to B/G or I. Our VCR and TV are OK, but I left behind the non switchable ones.
Leave the booze behind, food. Only fridges that are CFC free are welcome $400 or more to convert.