Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What no radio comedy?

What no radio comedy?

Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:11 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default What no radio comedy?

Having been a devoted listener in England to Radio 4 (and occasionally 3 although that's not relevant to this thread) I now listen equally often to ABC Radio National, which, while being a good enough substitute in many areas (and better in some), seems to have no comedy shows. Am I listening at the wrong times? Does Australia not do radio comedy? If it does, where should I look (or rather, listen)?

(Yes, I know I can (and do) listen to Radio 4 on the Web, but that's not quite the point.)
Old Feb 12th 2005, 3:40 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What no radio comedy?

Prefer wit to silly myself, but here it is:

Welcome to Humour Australia!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

ace ventura is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Having been a devoted listener in England to Radio 4 (and occasionally 3 although that's not relevant to this thread) I now listen equally often to ABC Radio National, which, while being a good enough substitute in many areas (and better in some), seems to have no comedy shows. Am I listening at the wrong times? Does Australia not do radio comedy? If it does, where should I look (or rather, listen)?

(Yes, I know I can (and do) listen to Radio 4 on the Web, but that's not quite the point.)

Comedy in Aus is pretty thin on the ground on tv & radio unless u watch Ray Martin tryin to look street wearin jeans
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords

Not sure if its your cup O tea but MMM (104.5 fM Brisbane 'The Cage') gets me laughing in the morning.

Scot
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotvness
Not sure if its your cup O tea but MMM (104.5 fM Brisbane 'The Cage') gets me laughing in the morning.

Scot
I can't follow that show, its too confusing their delimiting lines, it seems to go from ads to phone ins to sketches to music to general talk which turn into ads, and more chat, and more phone ins with people who seem to be part of some 'joke' and so on. It will take while to get used to.

I miss 'Mark & Lard'. I enjoy both clever wit (like yes prime minister, blackadder, have I got news for you etc), and moronic childish humour, a la 'Mark & Lard'. But even 'Mark & Lard' have gone from BBC radio, and they aren't a patch on their own. If anyone can suggest anything even half as funny on Oz radio I'd love to hear,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:43 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I can't follow that show, its too confusing their delimiting lines, it seems to go from ads to phone ins to sketches to music to general talk which turn into ads, and more chat, and more phone ins with people who seem to be part of some 'joke' and so on. It will take while to get used to.

I miss 'Mark & Lard'. I enjoy both clever wit (like yes prime minister, blackadder, have I got news for you etc), and moronic childish humour, a la 'Mark & Lard'. But even 'Mark & Lard' have gone from BBC radio, and they aren't a patch on their own. If anyone can suggest anything even half as funny on Oz radio I'd love to hear,

Cheers,
JTL

JTL have you seen this page? http://www.cix.co.uk/~lemoncurry/horny.htm It's got most of Lard's classic cuts on. Damn funny.

On the thread subject I also listen to radio quite a bit and do miss Hawksbee & Jacobs from TalkSport. I know it can be listened too over the internet but my connection is not too good so it is not worthwhile for me to do..
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
JTL have you seen this page? http://www.cix.co.uk/~lemoncurry/horny.htm It's got most of Lard's classic cuts on. Damn funny.

On the thread subject I also listen to radio quite a bit and do miss Hawksbee & Jacobs from TalkSport. I know it can be listened too over the internet but my connection is not too good so it is not worthwhile for me to do..
Great Thanks for that, at the bottom of that site is a link to the Mark n Lard webring

Mark n Lard web ring

And from that, loads and loads (sorry I mean heaps and heaps) of clips from their show. That should keep me occupied for a few weeks

This is a particularly good site

Biggedy Bong

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Radio National does buy in some BBC shows - I caught the Mark Steel Comedy Lectures recently ... but yeah, I needed to get an unlimited broadband package to listen to Radio 4 and Radio 7 online
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:27 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CHnJ
Radio National does buy in some BBC shows - I caught the Mark Steel Comedy Lectures recently ... but yeah, I needed to get an unlimited broadband package to listen to Radio 4 and Radio 7 online
Yes, I'm having to listen to Radio 4 on broadband these days; problem is, I'm soaking up all the bandwidth listening to 'The Archers', 'Today' etc, so there's none left for poor MarkMyWords to listen to 'Have I got news for you'

Think we need an effing enormous pipe (oops, better watch what I say with Bix-the-Pervy-Pastyman around... ).

Anya.