Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are my rights here?

What are my rights here?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough
Default What are my rights here?

Have been working for a company for 4 years. I have been working for the past 6 months at a remote location: and had a 50% salary uplift.

I have just been verbally told that I am to return to my old job, at the old salary effective immediately.

What are my rights here: I am happy to go back to my old job at old salary but am surprised that no notice has been given and have had nothing in writing.

There is a four week notice period in my current contract,,
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:37 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my rights here?

Originally Posted by virginiec
Have been working for a company for 4 years. I have been working for the past 6 months at a remote location: and had a 50% salary uplift.

I have just been verbally told that I am to return to my old job, at the old salary effective immediately.

What are my rights here: I am happy to go back to my old job at old salary but am surprised that no notice has been given and have had nothing in writing.

There is a four week notice period in my current contract,,
Do check what this four week notice is supposed to cover. If it specifically addresses termination (which in many cases is its sole purpose), and has no broader context (such as including changes of location, responsibilities, changes in compensation scheme, you name it) then it could come down to your word against your manager's.

Think of long term effects of enforcing this, even if it was agreed verbally - you still have to have a sound proof of what have been promised to who and when. All things considered, you may end up deciding to just take it for the sake of, lets say, similar gig in a few months time, or extra responsibility leading to a promotion, or an extra training - there is always room for negotiation, so long as it it is conducted in a good faith and adds value for both parties.

As a side note - my last contract had a clause, whereby any change to the contract conditions that is not signed off by both parties was not enforceable. Perhaps you should call your HR and ask them to clarify the extent of your "notice" clause.