Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the minimum amount of cash to take?

What is the minimum amount of cash to take?

Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

jeeva will become famous soon enough
Unhappy What is the minimum amount of cash to take?

Dear all,

I need some clarification please.
Recently I got my skilled-independent PR visa and am planning to make a 3-week holiday trip to validate my PR visa before I settle there permanently later this year. During this first visit I've planned to do the following:
1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number
3. Open a bank account (Is it possible to open a bank account online in a bank before I arrive in Aus?)
4. Driving license application

How much money to take...
If I take AU$1000 in cash on my first entry, will the immigration question me saying that I have insufficient cash to survive my first stay? Is there any minimum amount of money to take in during the first visit?

I want to take minimum amount in cash first and after opening a bank account in Aus I would come back home and do a wire transfer. Is this ok?

Please clarify.

Thanks
Jee
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the minimum amount of cash to take?

Originally Posted by jeeva
Dear all,

Recently I got my skilled-independent PR visa and am planning to make a 3-week holiday trip to validate my PR visa before I settle there permanently later this year. During this first visit I've planned to do the following:
1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number
3. Open a bank account (Is it possible to open a bank account online in a bank before I arrive in Aus?)

If I take AU$1000 in cash on my first entry, will the immigration question me saying that I have insufficient cash to survive my first stay? Is there any minimum amount of money to take in during the first visit?

I want to take minimum amount in cash first and after opening a bank account in Aus I would come back home and do a wire transfer. Is this ok?

Please clarify.

Thanks
Jee
Don't forget a $2 coin to get a trolley at the airport !
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:58 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Dear all,

1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number

Please clarify.

Thanks
Jee

yes you can open up a bankaccount online but you need to validate in australia in person....1000 bucks should be fine, if you bhave a creditcard you wont have any dramas I reckon.,..
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Dear all,

1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number

Jee
2. Why become a tax resident before you are an actual resident?
3. www.migrantbanking.com

Jim
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:26 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number

Jee
Hi jee

Opening a bank was really easier once you are here i believe, just take in your passport and it will be done.

The only problem i can forsee with you medicare and TFN is one of having no address. (if however you have somewhere to send them, then it won't be a problem )

Don't know about drivers licence. For us we just had to walk in and do a written test, but this differs to everyones induvidual circumstances.

As for the money on entry, we wern't asked how much money we had.

Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hevs
Hi jee

Opening a bank was really easier once you are here i believe, just take in your passport and it will be done.

The only problem i can forsee with you medicare and TFN is one of having no address. (if however you have somewhere to send them, then it won't be a problem )

Don't know about drivers licence. For us we just had to walk in and do a written test, but this differs to everyones induvidual circumstances.

As for the money on entry, we wern't asked how much money we had.

Good luck.
Thanks hevs, very helpful. As I'll be staying at my in-laws house (free accomodation ) I do have an address that could be used. Eventhough I only require a theory test for DL (UK DL holder) I've now planned to do this later as I may not have enough time. So, I'm going to some $1000-1200 only, if anything goes I shall use my credit cards. At the moment the exchange rate is dire, don't want to convert all my savings to $ now.

Cheers
Jeev
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:37 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Dear all,

1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number

Please clarify.

Thanks
Jee
Jee

Just noticed that you are based in Sri Lanka. Do hope that your family & friends have survived the recent disaster, & are all OK. I can't tell you how shocked everyone here in Melbourne has been by the news - we are all busy fundraising, so hopefully there will some real help with rebuilding your country and the others that have been devastated.

All the best,
Anya.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Jee

Just noticed that you are based in Sri Lanka. Do hope that your family & friends have survived the recent disaster, & are all OK. I can't tell you how shocked everyone here in Melbourne has been by the news - we are all busy fundraising, so hopefully there will some real help with rebuilding your country and the others that have been devastated.

All the best,
Anya.
Hi Anya
Thanks for your concern. I'm well and safe; so are my family and relations. I have to say that we are indeed very lucky to be not affected by these killer waves.

Apparently this tsunami has changed the lives of many living in the coastal areas - nothing of this sort has ever happened here before. In some parts here in Colombo (where I live), the sea first retreated briefly before spilling inland for few metres causing minor flooding and damage to few properties.

Almost all who were not affected by this were touched and donated generously in many ways. The response from rest the world is also incredible. I thank all those who helped.

Jeev
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Dear all,

1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number

Please clarify.

Thanks
Jee
Hi

From other posts in the past I believe that you will have to wait until 10 days after you have landed before you can get your Medicare sorted.

I opened up a bank account fine on a validation trip - we used Commonwealth Bank and they have been good - online access etc. I think only $100 was required

I dont think you will be able to get a tax file number - when i researched this online, you had to need a reason for having one - if you are not resident then unless you have a property in OZ you have no need for one - probably have wait until you get there for good.

Dunno where you are going to in OZ, but I have read on this forum recently that in WA you don't need to sit the written test anymore.

You will not be questioned about your finances when you enter the country.

Good luck with your trip
Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi

From other posts in the past I believe that you will have to wait until 10 days after you have landed before you can get your Medicare sorted.

I opened up a bank account fine on a validation trip - we used Commonwealth Bank and they have been good - online access etc. I think only $100 was required

I dont think you will be able to get a tax file number - when i researched this online, you had to need a reason for having one - if you are not resident then unless you have a property in OZ you have no need for one - probably have wait until you get there for good.

Dunno where you are going to in OZ, but I have read on this forum recently that in WA you don't need to sit the written test anymore.

You will not be questioned about your finances when you enter the country.

Good luck with your trip
Hi darkless
You've answered all my questions and have cleared my doubts - very comprehensive.
As you pointed out I'll leave TFN for now - not so important. I plan to reside in Victoria; on the vicroads website they have indicated one would need to sit theory test to get DL if he/she got a UK (also few other countries in the list) DL.

Cheers mate.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:11 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

During this first visit I've planned to do the following:
1. Register for Medicare
2. Apply for TFN number
Jee

1. You will need a postal address in Australia that you can rely on for at least one month in order to receive your Medicare card. It is posted to an Australian address after 3-4 weeks from applying.

2. TFN numbers are generally not easily obtainable from outside Australia. The online TFN application website is only available for Australian residents. Again, you will need a reliable postal address in Australia for about a month in order to receive your TFN via post. Usually it takes about 2 weeks to arrive.

3. A bank account and the associated ATM card and optional cheque book again requires a postal address in order for you to open it. Some banks mail the ATM card to you. Others insist that you appear in person at a designated branch to collect it, about a week or two later.

4. A driver's licence application requires you to furnish proof of residential address. Since you are on a validation/holiday trip, you will most probably find this bit difficult. But a holder of an unrestricted NSW driver's licence may verify your residential address for you (in NSW that is).

Since you are staying in your in-law's place, a reliable residential/postal address won't be a problem for you.

The immigration officers at the airport will not ask how much money you have. But if you bring across A$10,000 or more, you need to declare them.

Peter
Old Jan 9th 2005, 3:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi darkless
You've answered all my questions and have cleared my doubts - very comprehensive.
As you pointed out I'll leave TFN for now - not so important. I plan to reside in Victoria; on the vicroads website they have indicated one would need to sit theory test to get DL if he/she got a UK (also few other countries in the list) DL.

Cheers mate.
Victoria have now scrapped the theory test if you hold a full UK licence, so something else not to worry about.

Glad to hear that you and yours are safe and well after boxing day.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:44 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thread continued here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275932